Buffering and Latency

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no.  It just happened to me.  Ping went to over 100.  I had alot of uncorrectables on my modem status page.  I think the bug has reared its ugly head.  I have the SB6183.  I am with Comcast.  I rebooted the modem and everything is ok until the next time.  Who knows when Comcast will issue a firmware update?  What is the best course of action? Netduma man down.

Yep they need to know Buck! Because like Cox they are aware as is Arris / Motorola but they don't have a time when they will fix this.

I talked to the YouTuber Capp00 he said when Arris took over for Motorola is when everything started going downhill with their product.

It seems I also have this issue of high ping with the Motorolla SB6183 modem after a couple weeks of use and have to restart everything to get my ping back to normal. 

I am with Comcast in the US. 

Is there anything specific I should be telling them when I call?

They don't have the brightest techs around.

To be honest I do not believe they have a technical background at all.  I think they are just going by a script or atleast those that I come in contact with seem that way.  

Would the SB6141 or SB6121 have the same issues? Do they have the same chipset?

• Administrators

Hi guys, really wish I could help but you have to wait till this larger companies send out a fix. If I knew what it was then maybe I could try write a work-around unfortunately I haven't been told I assume its due to NDA of some sort. 

I have the sb6141 and never has a problem with it.

Hey Alex I was just writing to ask are you still not having any issues with your modem the SB141 I was going to go and purchase that particular modem and get rid of my SB 6183.

I am not using the SB6141 because cox sent me a Netgear modem. I still have it though but never used it with the Duma. I didn't have any problems with it before either.

Thank Alex for replying so quickly. This is for anyone with Comcast and have purchased their own modem. I'm looking for a modem only that works well with the Netduma. And does not have the ping bug issue. I heard the SB6141 would do fine. I just want to confirm this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having this same issue with the sb6121 but I have Mediacom as my ISP. After three one on one sessions with Fraser and Iain, they think its my modem. The duma is restricting my upload tho and nothing else. From ~25 up to ~5 up?? Am I going to have to contact Mediacom or wait until Moto comes out with an update?......Or purchase a different modem. (would suck since my speeds were fine before the duma)

• Administrators

I would say contact them and see what they can do for you, its impossible to say what they may do, they may not feel its worth putting out an update but they may replace your modem.

Hell with that being said, I'm still confused with what everyone is saying. I want someone tell explain thoroughly how that straight from modem I get my max speeds period. It functions as it should. So why does the duma restrict. So..you guys put a product out that does not function with everyday modems??? How can the modem have issues with the duma? My other router gave max speeds always. Netgear r6300 great router and wireless gig cap. Now I wish it didn't crap out on me. Oh and before everyone screams set up. I have had fraser personally look at my set up which was correct to begin with. 

• Administrators

Hi Entropy,

I was there helping you the other day. You need to determine if you get high pings if so this is the issue.

I understand its confusing, I also find it confusing. But if you flip it another way the Duma is being used worldwide and this is the only modem with an issue. Furthermore the Duma uses OpenWRT which is used by many many routers so its less likely its the Duma.

Anyway the crux of the matter is this. If there was a bug with the Netduma we would fix it. However Cox cable identified the bug is with the modem so its there end to fix it. I understand its frustrating but if the modem is faulty there is nothing we can do about it.  I'm going to try contact odog next week to see the progress on the modem bug I'll report back.

Technically nodes on the Internet are meant to follow the robustness principle, the modem is not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

I had the SB6183 and I constantly had to reboot that damn modem. I am with Comcast. There is no telling when they will put out a firmware update. Only the ISP providers can do it. I being inpatient just decided to change out my modem to the Netgear Cm500. And it works 100% better.

We are early adopters and there are going to be issues. It comes with the territory.

• Administrators

Bump

We're testing out a fix to circumvent the faulty energy efficient ethernet implementation with your modem, you can take the risk if you want to but we're just testing it at the moment. 

Archived