Buffering and Latency

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Thanks for the update. It is greatly appreciated. I'm not even going to contact my ISP. Won't make any difference. Just wait I guess.

The person trying it didn't have much luck, I have informed Iain and will keep you updated on any progress made.

• 4 months later...

My ISP is Charter Communications and I have the Motorola SB6141 Modem and the Netduma R1.  I am a new user of the R1 and this new set up keeps spiking latencey of over 400ms and I believe resetting the R1 router at the same time.  I will drop games and lose connection.  I also have the linksys WRT 1900ac that worked fine with the surfboard before the R1 router came along and did something different.  I need to know if I should return the surfboard modem and which modem everyone reccomends to use with the R1?  OR, should I wait for an update from charter communications?

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum. I don't believe they will release a fix for that for quite some time. You could do the modem > linksys > R1 for now so it works correctly whilst you look for another modem. Any other one should be fine, I don't have any specific recommendations, perhaps others could help?

My ISP is Charter Communications and I have the Motorola SB6141 Modem and the Netduma R1.  I am a new user of the R1 and this new set up keeps spiking latencey of over 400ms and I believe resetting the R1 router at the same time.  I will drop games and lose connection.  I also have the linksys WRT 1900ac that worked fine with the surfboard before the R1 router came along and did something different.  I need to know if I should return the surfboard modem and which modem everyone reccomends to use with the R1?  OR, should I wait for an update from charter communications?

I have the SB6141 and don't have any issues. 

I had both the SB6183 and CM500 and would get the latency and high pings that the EEE bug causes. 

Since getting the SB6141 and attaching the R1 directly to it, i've had no problems with the EEE bug. 

You could call Charter and have them reconfigure your modem and make sure it has the latest firmware. 

I wish Iain had an easy fix for it, but I believe he said there was no way he could solve it from his end. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the SB6141 and don't have any issues. 

I had both the SB6183 and CM500 and would get the latency and high pings that the EEE bug causes. 

Since getting the SB6141 and attaching the R1 directly to it, i've had no problems with the EEE bug. 

You could call Charter and have them reconfigure your modem and make sure it has the latest firmware. 

I wish Iain had an easy fix for it, but I believe he said there was no way he could solve it from his end. 

hi there!

what is the latest firmware for the sb6141? thanks.

what was the issue with cm-500? I keep testing out modems... can't find the right one thats compatible with the r1

is the cm-400 a better option ?

I believe 1.0.6.14-SCM01-NOSH is the latest firmware. I'm not home to check.

The CM-500 was giving me the same high pings that the EEE bug causes.

Others are using the CM-500 with no issue so it could've have been a comcast problem for me. 

I don't know anything about the CM-400. 

I think Comcast has a problem with Correctables and Uncorrectables. 

Every modem i've used has thousands of these and eventually I have to reset the modem. 

hi there!

what is the latest firmware for the sb6141? thanks.

what was the issue with cm-500? I keep testing out modems... can't find the right one thats compatible with the r1

is the cm-400 a better option ?

I have a CM 400 and it had no problems.

I believe 1.0.6.14-SCM01-NOSH is the latest firmware. I'm not home to check.

The CM-500 was giving me the same high pings that the EEE bug causes.

Others are using the CM-500 with no issue so it could've have been a comcast problem for me. 

I don't know anything about the CM-400. 

I think Comcast has a problem with Correctables and Uncorrectables. 

Every modem i've used has thousands of these and eventually I have to reset the modem. 

you know i had the problem with the high pings with the cm500 as well.

its a firmware problem as well. just make sure that the box says 2015 cus the 2014 don't have the updated firmware for some reason.

i know this cus i had 3 or 4 but just keep on returning the product to try out different brands. 

so far the cm500 did its job but i went on and returned it once again (i know i know im a little crazy)

and got the sb6183. 

lol funny because i get home and start reading on the forums that the 183 model as well as the 121 have this uglyy bug in them so at that point i decided to once again return the product haha :S this time ill be testing out in this order. sb6141 >cm400>cm500

also had the sb141 and i was getting good response time pinging 8.8.8.8 just using the modem but when i tried using it with the duma and running the test it would just increase for some reason. above 50ms+

when i got the cm500 for the 4th time i went to the duma and ticked stealth mode idk why but that seemed to do the trick. meaning the response time from the modem was passing through the duma without any spikes or increase in latency. 

i sort have this figure out lol just making sure i don't miss anything im really sick and tired of being sick and tired xD

hopefully i can find a solution for this issue.

btw im running on 40 down 4 up. 

also I live in Puerto Rico idk if thats relevant or not maybe thats one of the reasons the ping is unstable? idk guys..

(excuse my english) its my second language :P

you know i had the problem with the high pings with the cm500 as well.

its a firmware problem as well. just make sure that the box says 2015 cus the 2014 don't have the updated firmware for some reason.

i know this cus i had 3 or 4 but just keep on returning the product to try out different brands.

so far the cm500 did its job but i went on and returned it once again (i know i know im a little crazy)

and got the sb6183.

lol funny because i get home and start reading on the forums that the 183 model as well as the 121 have this uglyy bug in them so at that point i decided to once again return the product haha :S this time ill be testing out in this order. sb6141 >cm400>cm500

also had the sb141 and i was getting good response time pinging 8.8.8.8 just using the modem but when i tried using it with the duma and running the test it would just increase for some reason. above 50ms+

when i got the cm500 for the 4th time i went to the duma and ticked stealth mode idk why but that seemed to do the trick. meaning the response time from the modem was passing through the duma without any spikes or increase in latency.

i sort have this figure out lol just making sure i don't miss anything im really sick and tired of being sick and tired xD

hopefully i can find a solution for this issue.

btw im running on 40 down 4 up.

also I live in Puerto Rico idk if thats relevant or not maybe thats one of the reasons the ping is unstable? idk guys..

(excuse my english) its my second language :P

Boricua! Hablas y escribes bien en inglés amigo!!

Charter is notorious for over saturating the market (area) which will lead to severe node overload and cause huge jitter issues when you game.Nothing else is really affected by it just gaming and I know this as I am a Charter customer also.

I would suggest running ping plotter and see if your suffering from a jitter issue.The bad thing about these forums is before you come here you think your ISP is fine and then you start to learn things and run some tests and find out your ISP has issues that they will not acknowledge,let alone fix.

• Administrators

Hey Jclaudio, what is the ping time you're getting now with the cm500 and duma with stealth ticked? I have to say I'm not sure how stealth being ticked would help much but if it works it works right!

I don't know about your specific connection but from past experience with helping people from Puerto Rico, the connections are fairly unstable

30-40ish ms sometimes 50ms but thats tops. ;)

a normal ping test to the closest server is in florida and it pings around 70-75 ms with 5 jitters aprox..

idk if it was just stealth mode or some other setting that i might have ticked/unticked i really can't recall but as soon as i get my hands on another cm500 ill post pics of my setting and what not for future references maybe ill help someone like me... :)

Archived