Using DnsBench to find closest dns with duma

KindaBusted

Just figured out that by accident if you have a PC and DnsBench you can use the duma to find your true closest dns. 

I've always had problems with dns so this is the best day ever. Duma trumps all again!! 

Steps.

1.Put your PC in host filter as Xbox live

2.Run DnsBench *If you've never ran DnsBench before follow the instructions.

3.Watch the map for dots 

4.trial and error (The fun part is going through the dns's and removing the ones that are too far away to be worth it.

*I wrote down the 50 dns's DnsBench gives you then use common sense and trial and error to figure out what dns's where actually closest.

Now my Dns is only 151 miles away with a ping of 14ms !!

I'm one happy dude.

I just started a YT channel and plan to do a tut in the next day or so. Find me YouTube, Twitter, & Twitch @MrBustedSmokin

BTW: I've been shouting out the duma every stream because i'm super happy with it.

Tonight is an even better night knowing what I now know!

Just figured out that by accident if you have a PC and DnsBench you can use the duma to find your true closest dns.

I've always had problems with dns so this is the best day ever. Duma trumps all again!!

Steps.

3.Watch the map for dots

4.trial and error (The fun part is going through the dns's and removing the ones that are too far away to be worth it.

*I wrote down the 50 dns's DnsBench gives you then use common sense and trial and error to figure out what dns's where actually closest.

I'm one happy dude.

I just started a YT channel and plan to do a tut in the next day or so. Find me YouTube, Twitter, & Twitch @MrBustedSmokin

BTW: I've been shouting out the duma every stream because i'm super happy with it.

And you put the DNS servers in the Duma or Console?

I didn't realize your DNS could cause lag spikes to your game.

It does not.

DNS or dynamic name server changes an IP address of a website into a name.

Choosing a faster DNS server will make your web pages open somewhat quicker.

It does not.

DNS or dynamic name server changes an IP address of a website into a name.

Choosing a faster DNS server will make your web pages open somewhat quicker.

so will a faster DNS find the best path for gaming or will any DNS do?

Technically it shouldn't matter what DNS you use so say's everything I've ever read on the internet.

However I've done years of testing and I think the internet is wrong.

It makes sense to me that the same rules apply to DNS as connecting to a game server. I think Distance lag is a problem still.

The DNS my ISP connects me to is far away and has high ping times.

The DNS I'm now using is closer and has way better ping times and thing feels way better.

As I said in the video I was playing blops3 and had high ping.

I didn't say how high in the video. (over 100ms) 

I've had this happen before and went to test my Dns using dnsbench.

That's how I accidently figured out the Duma can see dns.

After testing and using the duma to find the dns I'm now using my pings dropped to 80ms.

I will say that 80ms is a bit high compared to normal for me but after cod's last update things have been a bit off.

I suggest you do your own tests.

DnsBench by itself is a nice thing to have.

Just remembered that doing this also made my Buffer Bloat test better.

If you guys want I can make a second video showing this.

Let me know :)

I just tried putting 2 of the closet dns to me that are in my same state and online play was horrible, in game ping was 33ms to 50ms which was great, but some how I was dying faster. Should I try getting a server closer to a bo3 server? Will have to try my luck tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Steps.

3.Watch the map for dots 

I'm one happy dude.

I tried this and it works great. nice post

Archived