BT Any Good?

Macca65

Well I am looking to change ISP, mainly because of the cost. BT seem to be doing a good deal at the moment so, is the BT Infinity any good?

Do they do traffic management?

Is it stable?

What's the customer service like?

Cheers

Well I am looking to change ISP, mainly because of the cost. BT seem to be doing a good deal at the moment so, is the BT Infinity any good?

Do they do traffic management?

Is it stable?

What's the customer service like?

Cheers

My father in law had BT and the customer service is just crap, takes ages to get anyone and when you do they hardly speak eEnglish. I have Shy and i must say their customer service is great and you get straight through to someone who you can understand.

Short answer: NO

Long answer: NOOOOOOO

I have BT Infinity (not out of choice - me and the Mrs are currently living with her mum whilst we save up for our own place... BT Infinity is her choice of ISP) and I'm constantly resetting the HomeHub. Adding the R1 into the equation has made things significantly better, but when we move out - BT will be at the bottom of my list for ISP.

Down/up speeds are a little inconsistent too. One night I'll get 50mb down and 25mb up and the next I'll get 25mb down and 10mb up. 

I can't really comment on customer service as they will only deal with the account holder. I do know that they're quite happy to take your money off you though based on the phone calls I've overheard to them...

Left talk talk due to terrible customer service and overseas useless customer service , signed with plusnet but before even connecting me I canceled due to service then I was left with bt or sky and everyone except the guy above says sky are shit and my personal experience with sky from years back was shit so ended up paying over the odds as bt are more expensive than competitors but they have 90% uk customer service and so far worth the extra I paid even tho they did connect me a day late but they have halved my first month bill for the trouble oh and there's no £50 connection few with bt

And if your worried about speeds I been gauranteed minimum of 74 or i can leave the contract and kept the email lol, although I do sometimes slightly get under that I haven't disabled the Duma to rule that out as the problem

I know this is a BT thread (& I'm currently with BT) but does anyone here use Virgin Media Superhub? I had a leaflet come through saying I can finally get fibre Optic 200MB and it's so tempting but I've heard from some people that Virgin aren't really great for gaming? 

well I'm with sky and after having about a month of pure hell with bo3 I came to the conclusion that something was severely wrong, I started bo3 running around 1.80 global k/d and it was on the rise, then all of a sudden it started to drop to around 1.50 then to 1.26? Had absolute awful games and knew it wasnt me, I heard about reset to factory on the duma, that seemed to help for a couple of hours then my games turned to pure shit again, Couldn't figure what was wrong, wasn't a problem with the duma and blamed the game but decided to ring sky and they seen some problems on my line and immediately sent an engineer out next day apparently I had a problem with my faceplate everything is now rosey again

I have BT true there customer service ain't that great but there speeds are acceptable i get 75 down 19mb up ping 5ms get 1 or 2ms jitter still great for gaming though. I was with virgin media before when i use to start streaming but they capped you hard so i left them and went with BT no capping whatsoever.

I'm gonna be leaving sky soon myself because of my experience with them,was looking at BT myself but after a few of you guys have stated I can't be doing with terrible customer service.I believe there is something wrong with my line but whenever I speak with sky I get told everything is good,I'm running via an openreach modem with sky so I didn't have to go through the in built sky one the hub but I'm having a bad time lately

Zennon told me that my modem would automatically flash itself with the latest firmware once connected,I don't know if it has done that as it's not an unlocked modem so can't see any details,anyone good at unlocking them as I have no idea how to do it

I'm on infinity 2 package no traffic shaping and prolly in the minority here but have no issue's at all 75 down 18 up jitter free rarely any dips in 3 yrs i've been with them so never had to deal with customer service. Although having the green cabinet 50 yrds down the road from us probably helps all in all no complaints Bt sport never buffers on the small youview box just hope they don't keep sneaking in price rises for champions league coverage which they will until then all good for me.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I have had Sky, mainly for the TV. I am on Virgin at the moments and in my experience is unstable after 5.00 pm high ping spikes. I just find it to expensive for what it is. I can have 200 up etc but as there is only the two of us there is no need for those kind of speeds.

We don't stream films or download massive files When I game I am usually in on my own

The customer service can be quite bad, I usually get put through to someone who I can't understand, and knows less about Internet/gaming than I do.

I have been on the Virgin Broadband Forum and it's just full of complaints about jitter/ping etc

So I think it boils down to what the infrastructure is like in your area, and the usage as to whether it's a good or bad service.

I think, purely on cost basis I might plump for BT and see how it goes, It can't be any worse than Virgins Broadband:) or can it?

We were early adopters of BT Infinity - living in west London. Personally I have no problems, we had to move over from Virgin because circa 2010 their hub had severe wifi issues meaning I couldn't have my 360 and my dads laptop connected at the same time. Now it's probably different but I'm happy with BT.  

My friend uses BT fibre and he has had no issue and has a jitter free ping.

Virgin are known for having high jitter and congestion as you know Macca I would make the move.

I am with talk talk and i have a jitter free line also.

I'm gonna be leaving sky soon myself because of my experience with them,was looking at BT myself but after a few of you guys have stated I can't be doing with terrible customer service.I believe there is something wrong with my line but whenever I speak with sky I get told everything is good,I'm running via an openreach modem with sky so I didn't have to go through the in built sky one the hub but I'm having a bad time lately

Zennon told me that my modem would automatically flash itself with the latest firmware once connected,I don't know if it has done that as it's not an unlocked modem so can't see any details,anyone good at unlocking them as I have no idea how to do it

Are you using a HG612 and what hub do you have.

Yes he does Raddy and I have seen his ping, I definitely think you have G.inp on your line Ben.

That was what i was gonna say, if its the case then he needs the the CFW flashed on it, i have the newest one on my HG612 and its updated for G.INP but have not been able to use just the modem and R1 uptill now. I have been reading on some forums today that the HG612 can be used as a router aswell so it will do the authentication itself so i might try it in router mode with the R1.

Yes he does Raddy and I have seen his ping, I definitely think you have G.inp on your line Ben.

I know when I had the sr102 plugged in it showed G.inp on my line but at the moment I'm using the hg612 modem with an sr101 as my black sky hub had a broken power prong I've no idea how that happened

Something is seriously a drift somewhere guy's I'm literally shooting through people,my mate has a brand new sr102 at his house I think I'm gonna go get it tonight to try

Archived