Halo 5 Geo-filter is working, it's amazing!

Netduma Fraser

• Administrators

Hey guys, we've made a huge breakthrough on Halo 5 compatibility with the Geo-filter!

Our testing in the office has been extremely successful.

We'd like to get some of you to test it yourselves and see if you get the same great results as us :)

All you need to do is PM me with the subject "Halo 5 testing".

Then use the Geo-filter as you normally would and report back in this thread with your results. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't want to sound ungrateful but could we get some more support for cross platform games like Destiny, seems like the player base would be bigger and it could use some filter support. As much as I would love to play Halo I don't see it ever coming to PS <_<

Please guys, Fraser is looking for valid users of Halo to test a service. Valid being the key word. If you have other issues please post in another appropriate forum. This will benefit Netduma and you in the long run. Thanks for your support.

Don't want to sound ungrateful but could we get some more support for cross platform games like Destiny, seems like the player base would be bigger and it could use some filter support. As much as I would love to play Halo I don't see it ever coming to PS <_<

i know you guys love of halo is kind of what got you started with this, but sounds like you may have achieved that goal, when your through with that would deffo be cool to bring that kind of love to some other titles like destiny and would just like to support what ltr7 really :)

I played a ton of H5 games last night with the new H5 Geofilter and was able to get on a west coast server (Im in California) most of the time. When in a party with someone in Texas (as fireteam leader), I would get booted. If I was alone, I would get west coast servers everytime with no booting. My baseline ping to these servers was 15-25 ms. However, I would get spikes up to 80ms occasionally. I decided to hook my xbox to my imac and use wireshark to see what was going on. What I found was that my Xbox was receiving TCP 443 data from MS servers during the UDP game packets and my xbox would respond with a TCP ACK. This TCP handshake prevented the next H5 server UDP packet from being received, thus causing a corresponding lag spike. I looked at the time stamps for UDP packets recieved from the H5 servers (the one prior to the TCP handshake and the following), the delay match exactly the ping spike reported by NETDUMA in the Geo page. If anyone can use Witeshark or another packet capture tool to look for these spikes, please post.

So far I haven't noticed any difference with the Halo 5 update.  The only real difference i do notice is with the Xbox cloud being corrected and definitely getting the right server.  Aside from that it plays no worse or better, but i do live 110 miles from an Xbox Azure server so may not see some of the lag that others do.

Yes please. Don't leave Destiny out !!

XtreamJay- another user and I on the waypoint forums had been contacted by 343i and they wanted our Wireshark captures.

343i has acknowledged privately that we discovered the issue...

"Hi Geoff,

And thank jongx83 also. :-)

Expect an update to the forums soon from our customer support team. Yes, the duplicate ACK problem is related and thank you again for pointing that out and the link with those captures.

I will be providing that information also to TWC to help them with their investigation. We believe we root caused the issue which is something we can mitigate in title code in a future update while simultaneously working with external partners to correct the odd routing behavior."

There's multiple problems with isp routing, matchmaking and poorly written netcode. We haven't heard anything back. Yet after that reply.

I recently received my netduma. It won't solve any of theses problems, but the improvements I've seen in only a couple days use allows me to say I will not play without it.

Jlongx83 this is PannicButtonn from the waypoint forums, thank you for the notes.  After unsuccessfully fighting the lag issue for months now, I turned to NETDUMA.  The latest geofilter update has helped, but I'm also looking forward to 343i fixing the ACK issue (now that you told me they are aware of it).  Also, looking forward to the next NETDUMA firmware update.

Hey PannicButtonn! It's been acknowledged for sure, but just you won't see anything this ever admitted by a company. Again, it's a combo problem with the code and ISP routing of the traffic. Not just TWC.

Changes are going to have to occur to update how traffic flows from users to the servers and vice versa on 343s end.

On the ISP side, all this UDP traffic needs to be placed in a higher priority. All of this UDP traffic, specifically the amount being transmitted to and from, looks just like a torrent to the ISP. It's fine to update traffic out of order for a torrent. All the pieces eventually get there. It's not OK to have UDP traffic get qued, lost, or showing up out of order in a FPS.

Thank you very much for finding the problems jlongx83 and XtreamJay.  I have been chasing this issue for months, and playing Halo 5 on my closest servers since the beginning of December with full teams 100% successfully.    I've called Both ISP and Microsoft to no avail, showed them trace routes to the issues ect.  I can download wireshark and help out on the screen shots if needed.  I live in Montana and my ISP is Charter Communications, TWC customers are not alone in this matter.  60dwn/4up 26-32ms, hard spikes up over 550ms to Seattle servers.

If 343i and the ISP providers could eliminate this problem today as in right this second,  I can say with 100% certainty that the Netduma works AMAZING right now finding games on Halo 5 with a party and that is on v1.03.5. 

This problem made me doubt Netduma, and now it is part of the solution. 

P.s Netduma was even better on The Division Beta. ;)

New update from 343i on the waypoint forums. Only days after some top level pros from over at team beyond hit them up on Twitter...

"Hello all,

Thank you for your continued reports. We are continuing to work directly with Time Warner Cable and other ISPs to resolve issues, and a variety of networking improvements are on the way, including improved handling of packet lag, jitter, and loss. Some of these issues only manifest under very rare networking conditions. We’ve identified fixes for several issues relating to walking into walks, warping, game clock stoppage, and disconnections. Those fixes are coming as well.

Thank you for your continued reports and we’ll continue to provide updates when able."

To Fraser, Test Results:

I followed your instructions in the PM and played 20 games. All games were solo search and no party chat. I had zero boots back to lobby while searching. All matches were on servers within the geofilter range. I was able to choose which servers to play on by relocating my "home" on the geofilter map. However, if you move your geofilter (range or home), restart Halo 5 and the changes will work. There was very little lag (still those odd lag spikes discussed earlier), BUT I was surprised to see that the ping to Chicago and Texas servers had dropped by ~20ms. I'm in California, my latency to these servers is normally around 70-80ms as listed on Titanfall. However, the pings were 50-60ms and very playable. Today, I'm gonna try playing with my team.

Side note, I was able to pull some amazing moves last night.

Ok i have had played with the latest update and on Halo. Very smooth gameplay and right into games within the UK!

Not really sure what you have done to this latest update but its AMAZING, every new feature!

MASSIVE THANK YOU TO THE DEVs AND TEAM :)

You should get an xbox  I love mine.

Archived