Prospective NetDuma Recruit from Idaho

e38BimmerFN

Hello to the Netduma army. 

I first saw a youtube video that I was looking at regarding some CoD gaming and the poster was reviewing the gaming router I had done a search on and was referenced to the video which the poster was reviewing the game. I can't remember which game he was reviewing however he was talking about the R1 and how well it was working for him. Since then I have checked up here and there on reviews, articles and this forum on various user experiences. Even thought I don't game on a daily basis, I do at least 2-3 days a week or maybe less depending on life, I'm very interested in the NetDuma router for it's gaming and lag handling abilities. Also as a general router as well. When I do game I game for a few hours up to several. I do game with several gaming friends when I do. 

Since the inception of the R1 and the cost of the router, I'm curious as to what maybe in the near future in a new HW release from the ND commanders and if I should possibly wait for a new release of HW or take the plunge. I'm an avid router operator and tester and would like to learn more about this particular router and any future models that may be on the near horizon. Costs for routers seem to be the standard these days and this router seems to be worth it however I feel the wireless is lacking for the cost of the R1 router compared to other Mfr routers in the same price range which offer more for wireless. Ya I do believe that gaming needs to be wired only and have always followed that practice. And I believe the R1 gaming handling is the top priority of the ND community and developers and I presume more in the future. I'm just looking to apply my money were best suited in regards to ND and if ND maybe forth coming with a newer router HW, should I wait or take the plunge? And what if I take the plunge now, what kind of possible options maybe available for newer HW router versions down the road? 

Thank you for accepting me as a new ND recruit and looking forward to possibly taking a more active roll in the community if I can. 

Have a great week and weekend. 

Robear

100/3 ISP

SB 6121 cable modem

• Netduma Staff

Hey, welcome to the forum! :)

There are currently no plans for new hardware (stated by Fraser in another thread a few days ago) :) If you want better Wifi, you're best option is to use another router/access point that has better wifi and connect it to the Netduma.

HI and Welcome from just across the pass to the West.

For most applications this router will work wonders on your gaming, and the quality of life for those in your house when you are gaming.   ;)

My quality of life went up, up, up when I was able to game without the wife's constant web-surfing and Netflix binging giving me spikes I couldn't deal with, or me begging and pleading for an hour or two a night without 9 other devices going...LOL

You sound more technical than our average user, so I assume there will be points (like the wifi) where you know of other products that do this, or do that.  No getting around those facts as some routers are built for purpose A and this one was built for Purpose: LAG

If you can forgive those slight issues, I think it will be money well spent and your friends are going to be curious when you start to game and are suddenly doing much better than they are used to seeing you do.  LOL   :P

Welcome to the forums...

If your a serious gamer this is the router you want in your set up.And I found the wifi to be really good on the duma but like Crossy pointed out if you want the 5g speeds you can just put your current router in AP mode and still gets the 5g speeds and all the benefits of the duma.

Does the R1 have DMZ feature capabilities? 

Is there a User Manual that I can take a look at? 

Thank you all for the feed back. If I get the R1 I do plan on adding a wireless AP I have currently and should provide the additional wireless support I need. 

I am looking forward to the gaming aspect of the R1 and talking with others that a game with about it. 

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum! As said above we're not looking into new hardware currently - focusing on improving the software as much as possible, with the next upgrade being really exciting in my opinion. I believe Luke said in a past post that if we did bring out new hardware we would give a discount to existing customers.

It doesn't have a DMZ no. You can see our quick start guide here, you also receive it in the box it comes in Other than that you can take a look at our wiki here which includes lots of useful info. 

Thank you Mr Fraser.

Reason for asking about DMZ is that I have two VoIP devices, ones a microcell and the other is MagikJack and mostly keep the microcell in the DMZ on my current router to avoid any router problems or interference on the microcell. I live in a area of town where the cell signal is low with out the use of the microcell and have seen problems using it on other routers unless I put it in a DMZ. Just wondering how well the R1 will handle it is all. 

Thank you for your time. 

Thank you Mr Fraser.

Reason for asking about DMZ is that I have two VoIP devices, ones a microcell and the other is MagikJack and mostly keep the microcell in the DMZ on my current router to avoid any router problems or interference on the microcell. I live in a area of town where the cell signal is low with out the use of the microcell and have seen problems using it on other routers unless I put it in a DMZ. Just wondering how well the R1 will handle it is all. 

Thank you for your time. 

MagikJack in my experience has no need for ports/etc. Microcell, I've dealt with similar and just opened ports. Have you tried with your existing router just opening the recommended ports to see if it plays nice?

The R1 handles PF just fine.

• Administrators

Thank you Mr Fraser.

Thank you for your time. 

The UPnP should open any ports that are needed automatically, otherwise you can set them as a static IP and open the ports for them and it should be fine :)

Ok, Just checking. I have used PF before when I first got the microcell and found later on that using DMZ was simpler method to using it. 

Thank you all for the information. I look forward to getting my hands on the R1 in the very near future. 

Thank you Mr Fraser.

Thank you for your time. 

Hi E38BimmerFN

I use an ATT microcell at my place.  My setup is VZW ONT>R1>AP . I have the DCHP turned off in the AP (which was the Netgear R6300 I was using before I dove in and got the R1) I had to connect the microcell directly to the R1 to get it to function correctly. When I tried it on the AP ports, I could get all the locks except the network lock. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey BimmerFN,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you love the Duma.

Sorry for late reply. At some point we will have to release new hardware. But I don't see that happening in the short term. We've been focusing on software exclusively.

As Crossy and others said putting a 5ghz router( in AP mode) behind the Netduma will effectively be dual-band(maybe tri) Wi-Fi :) 

Archived