Low Download speeds

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I recently connected my Plusnet ISP router to my R1 because of the PPPOE issue. 

However, I was running some download tests on speedtest and BT wholesale with sliders on 100% and noticed my download speeds are as low as 39mbps (it should be up to 76mbps).

My u/l speeds are good at 17.

For info other settings I have flower on 100%, reset distribution etc, reactive, ipv6 unticked, & deep packet proc. Set bandwith I have left as it was a few weeks back from previous test at 72 dl and 17 ul. I am wired to pc when running test.

Admittedly I have had quite a few disconnections recently but I understand that my home is connected to a Huawei cabinet which corrects on the fly so this shouldn't slow my connection down anyway, especially that much?

Should I report this to my ISP or is there something else I missed?

Thanks in anticipation

I think Fraser it has been low for a while but I just didn't check it.

I only came across it yesterday when running Bb test on dsl when I had slider on 95% and dl speed was around 40.

Since I checked tonight speed has crept up to around 57 with sliders on 100% but not ideal as it is bugging me why I can't get full speeds !   :(

I'm going to log it with plusnet and see what they say. I hope I've set the routers correctly and haven't missed something.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for Plusnet to sort my slower download speeds after nearly 2 weeks. However, they have been running tests etc. and provided this log (attached).

They have said there is a line fault and are still investigating.

Can anyone interpret what this is saying please? It would be appreciated.

Question: If they are running tests in the day and I forget to put CC sliders back to 100% and leave pre-emptive, will they think there is a fault because the download speed will be lower anyway?

Plusnet log 200116.rtf

They are testing speeds hitting the modem and no further so you CC wont be taken in to account.

You have interleaving on the down stream not the upstream.

Down stream is 74mb but this is understandable with interleaving so why it says "Downstream Rate Assessment    Reasonable" when they know the reason it is slightly lower as it is max attainable with interleaving on.

There is "Regular Interference Observed on Weekends" this will be the reason there is interleaving on the line to correct errors.

"Interference Duration Longest Occurrence    From 18:15 to 18:30"

It all looks correct apart from the interference.

There is "Regular Interference Observed on Weekends" this will be the reason there is interleaving on the line to correct errors.

"Interference Duration Longest Occurrence    From 18:15 to 18:30"

It all looks correct apart from the interference.

Not sure what that could be. Is this something they can correct or is it something I'm doing?

Will the interference eventually stop if there are no disconnections as I haven't unplugged the modem or router for 2 weeks now?

Hi Guys.

Only just had an update from Plusnet saying their was a fault but they have fixed it. Told me to reboot router and speeds should be improved. However after rebooting I'm still only get max download of 63mpbs (should be up to 76). Any ideas what I can try/test before I go back to them again as there response is slow.

I wonder whether it is the plusnet router which is why it is slow. I know a few months back I run a speed test when I just had the BT modem openreach plugged into the netduma and got over 70 on speedtest.net. 

I would prefer to keep the rebooting/unplugging of the routers to a minimum as Plusnet will say it's on my side why it's slow.

Thanks as always

Hi Guys.

Only just had an update from Plusnet saying their was a fault but they have fixed it. Told me to reboot router and speeds should be improved. However after rebooting I'm still only get max download of 63mpbs (should be up to 76). Any ideas what I can try/test before I go back to them again as there response is slow.

I wonder whether it is the plusnet router which is why it is slow. I know a few months back I run a speed test when I just had the BT modem openreach plugged into the netduma and got over 70 on speedtest.net. 

I would prefer to keep the rebooting/unplugging of the routers to a minimum as Plusnet will say it's on my side why it's slow.

Thanks as always

Cajun,  My DL and UL speeds have been reduced also about the same amount as yours.  I can only get my full ISP speeds if I use the Reactive Algorithm.  If the router is on Preemptive with the CC sliders at 100%  I typically see about 10-12 MB/s less than my advertised speeds.  I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the .5 firmware update.  Before the update it didn't matter what algorithm I was on...with the CC sliders at 100%  I got very close, if not more than, my advertised ISP speeds.

Are you plugging your laptop directly into the Duma with an Ethernet cable to perform a Speedtest?

When I do a Speedtest over WiFi I always get half the speed I get than when I plug an ethernet into the Duma but I get no lose of functionality.

Are you plugging your laptop directly into the Duma with an Ethernet cable to perform a Speedtest?

When I do a Speedtest over WiFi I always get half the speed I get than when I plug an ethernet into the Duma but I get no lose of functionality.

I have a wired connection, I'm pretty sure the OP said he is too.  I really don't know where the loss came from.  The effect was immediate though right after the update, so it's really the only thing I can attribute the loss of bandwidth to.  Still love me the R1.  A couple of MB/s of bandwidth is a small price to pay for the gains.

Yes I always speed test wired to my pc  :)

What bothers me though is I know I have got near to full speeds before on Reactive with 100% cc.  :mellow:

Edit.. Is it possible to run a speed test via the modem only or the plusnet router only without losing my internet connection altogether?

e.g. If I remove the ethernet cable from the netduma which is currently plugged into the PC, can I plug this into either the modem on it's own or the plusnet router or will that cause a disconnect?

What bothers me though is I know I have got near to full speeds before on Reactive with 100% cc.  :mellow:

Edit.. Is it possible to run a speed test via the modem only or the plusnet router only without losing my internet connection altogether?

e.g. If I remove the ethernet cable from the netduma which is currently plugged into the PC, can I plug this into either the modem on it's own or the plusnet router or will that cause a disconnect?

Cajun you should be able to plug directly into the plusnet router and do a test.  you may need to power cycle the plusnet router in order to get your connection back, but I don't think so

• Administrators

I would recommend testing from the plusnet and modem and see if the issue is the same so we can identify where the issue lies. 

Taking ethernet from PC out of duma in plusnet or modem will only cause you to lose connection on your PC not the modem/plusnet so they wouldn't see it as a reboot if that's what you mean

Last night I tried a speed test just from the plusnet router as advised and tried a few tests from different servers. The max download I got was around 69 which is a lot better than the 50 odd it was showing before.

I tried the same on the netduma and got slightly lower at a max of 67 so roughly around the same, I haven't tried the modem only option perhaps I will try that this weekend.. Not easy to fit it all in when you have 8 month old twin boys to feed and see to lol :P

I'm happier now that it is fairly close to the 76 d/l speeds advertised so maybe I just need to see if it improves more over the coming days/week.

Main thing also is that Black Ops 3 plays smooth anyway especially lowering the sliders to help with the BB so I've not experienced any issues at all with gaming

Thanks for the re-assurance Fraser that is what I meant and thanks to the Major for your help as well  :)

Archived