Hello,

I am having issues with the speeds on the netduma.  I have a decent connection 105/10. I can speedtest 9 out of 10 times between 90 and 107Mbps to a speedtest server that is 238miles away but also in the same city as a dedicated server I play games on and my base ping is 18-25ms. This is with my netgear.  When I put my netduma in as the only router and straight to my laptop for testing I can only see speeds of 45-72Mbps and that is with the correct settings per the setup guides and fine tuning step 2.  I have had zero isses with getting setup and online to play even setting the router up behind my main router but would prefer to place it ahead of the rest of my LAN.  Can anyone help me besides pointing me to the wiki links and the basics?  I have tried resetting and starting from scratch several times. I have tried with the cloud selections on and off, same outcome.  I have tried turbo, super turbo and even rebooted after settings were changed to see if that would make a difference. I know some people will say don't fret over 10-20Mbps but we need every bit of it for our household. We have alot going on and every packet counts. Please help...

speedtest with netduma only and one laptop  no other devices

4966372805.png

4966369303.png

speedtest with netgear only and same laptop and rest of network

4966409434.png

4966402158.png

post-6050-0-31491800-1451879289_thumb.png

post-6050-0-65624600-1451879294_thumb.png

post-6050-0-22909200-1451879299_thumb.png

post-6050-0-51181800-1451879303_thumb.png

post-6050-0-86884300-1451879310_thumb.png

post-6050-0-88731600-1451879314_thumb.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What firmware version is your R1 using currently? .5 (or .5m) is the latest.

​Go to:

Congestion Control - Set Bandwidth - 10Upload, 105Download (keep note the router has upload speed mentioned first!)

​Use Reactive Algorithim. Scroll down the page where you see Device Prio, tick share excess but click on Reset Distribution and then click on Update Distribution.

Settings > LAN & WAN disable IPv6

Settings > Miscellenous - Only have the following ticked : Enable UPNP Forwarding, Enable Cookies, Turbo Mode & Stealth Mode

​---

you say you only get 45 to 72 mb after?  

does it effect the lag?

when i had just a plain router i had one setting for games the other for pc, doesnt the netduma have QOS? (seperate ip for each)

i wonder if thats in the ticked to do list?

1.03.5m

What firmware version is your R1 using currently? .5 (or .5m) is the latest.

​Go to:

Congestion Control - Set Bandwidth - 10Upload, 105Download (keep note the router has upload speed mentioned first!)

​Use Reactive Algorithim. Scroll down the page where you see Device Prio, tick share excess but click on Reset Distribution and then click on Update Distribution.

Settings > LAN & WAN disable IPv6

Settings > Miscellenous - Only have the following ticked : Enable UPNP Forwarding, Enable Cookies, Turbo Mode & Stealth Mode

you say you only get 45 to 72 mb after?  

does it effect the lag?

when i had just a plain router i had one setting for games the other for pc, doesnt the netduma have QOS? (seperate ip for each)

i wonder if thats in the ticked to do list?

I only see speeds of 45-72Mbps with the Netduma as my router. 

Yes it affects lag by reducing my households overall bandwidth.  I have over 17 devices and a dedicated server for media as well as kids that are on at least 3 of the ps3's and any various smart tv using whatever streaming app.  We are ALWAYS online and require this bandwidth.  When I set it up for X and the netduma limits me at Y  then .....

Yes it has QOS of some sort, that is the devise prioritization and distribution screen. 

I believe this hardware is fried.  I just went back thru the settings one step and page at a time.  Only this time I unticked everything in misc and ticked things one at a time. 

Ticked upnp---------- got faster

Ticked enable multicast snooping-----------got faster

Ticked enable cookies------------same speed

Ticked Turbo mode------------90Mbps

Ticked Super Turbo mode-------- Slowed to nothing  and won't go back either..

Now it's doing maybe 9 Mbps  down and 3Mbps up

4966609018.png

But on my netgear, still smoking

4966597165.png

So I unticked the cloud settings and then reticked them after a reboot and got full speed.  WTH?!

So why the inconsistency??

Seriously 1. unticking clouds and apply 2. reboot 3. retick clouds and apply

I'm at a loss for words...

4966621597.png

I'll continue to monitor I guess cause with dips like that in speed I can't play without rubberbanding to a server I ping 17-34ms during gunfights without the netduma. 

1 on 1 session please.

same thing happens with regular routers with openwrt and fq codel ,ive been messing around with different routers, mines a linksys 500mhz single core cpu ,dont think there is a clear answer.

do the speeds effect the outcome?, i dont think it matters ,because i only have 20 down and 2 up.

ive set my router (not netduma) to certain speeds up,down and sometimes it works and for some reason doesnt work the next time.

im gonna get me a dual-core router next (used) and see if maybe the cpu is the culprit.

So I unticked the cloud settings and then reticked them after a reboot and got full speed.  WTH?!

So why the inconsistency??

Seriously 1. unticking clouds and apply 2. reboot 3. retick clouds and apply

I'm at a loss for words...

4966621597.png

I'll continue to monitor I guess cause with dips like that in speed I can't play without rubberbanding to a server I ping 17-34ms during gunfights without the netduma. 

1 on 1 session please.

The reboot did it , I work in IT repair and most of the time when customer comes in with laptop and pc's when I go to work on them there is nothing wrong.

The time it took them to turn it off for it to sit and the error to remove from ram with loss of power while in the car and for me to start it, whalla nothing wrong.

The reboot did it , I work in IT repair and most of the time when customer comes in with laptop and pc's when I go to work on them there is nothing wrong.

The time it took them to turn it off for it to sit and the error to remove from ram with loss of power while in the car and for me to start it, whalla nothing wrong.

Funny I've worked in IT for 23 years and most problems that 'fix themselves' with a reboot will come again and again.... hardware gets used/hot, problem shows again.  I'm pretty sure this was just some bugs in the settings, they were specifically ticked or unticked and triple checked and after rebooting settings would different. The main thing was that the host filter was enabling itself while ticking and unticking. Finicky.  Also the controls/UI is buggy for sure.  Sometimes you can go into a menu and when you try and come out to select another menu within the original header you must back all the way out by selecting another totally different menu then go back.  Hope that makes sense.  Anyway. I played maybe 30 games and now I have icon questions.  I am seeing alot of icons I don't see in the legend,  I will post pics later today.  Thanks for trying to help.

same thing happens with regular routers with openwrt and fq codel ,ive been messing around with different routers, mines a linksys 500mhz single core cpu ,dont think there is a clear answer.

do the speeds effect the outcome?, i dont think it matters ,because i only have 20 down and 2 up.

ive set my router (not netduma) to certain speeds up,down and sometimes it works and for some reason doesnt work the next time.

im gonna get me a dual-core router next (used) and see if maybe the cpu is the culprit.

I've never had an issue with QOS settings in openWRT or DDWRT.  I have found that if your CONSISTENT MAX speeds are say 20 and 2 to a speedtest server thats hopefully colocated in the same data center as what you're trying to and an average ping of say 40 or under if you know that 10 of 10 speed tests without QOS is 20 and 2 then I select HTB and FQ_CODEL and trim my way until the graph shows little to know spikes and dips.  

On my particular setup, I know that I can pull 115Mbps on a speedtest but the graph will be all over the place. So if I trim it back a little at a time it smooths out the transfer and things can work more efficient, at least thats my thought process.  I know if I set my speeds of 111500kbps down and 10500kps down I will easily peg out at 105Mbps/10Mbps  but if I raise it to 115500 and say upload to 15500  it gets worse speeds cause it spikes up to that then drops out etc.. Anyway, thats what works for me. 

• Netduma Staff

Funny I've worked in IT for 23 years and most problems that 'fix themselves' with a reboot will come again and again.... hardware gets used/hot, problem shows again.  I'm pretty sure this was just some bugs in the settings, they were specifically ticked or unticked and triple checked and after rebooting settings would different. The main thing was that the host filter was enabling itself while ticking and unticking. Finicky.  Also the controls/UI is buggy for sure.  Sometimes you can go into a menu and when you try and come out to select another menu within the original header you must back all the way out by selecting another totally different menu then go back.  Hope that makes sense.  Anyway. I played maybe 30 games and now I have icon questions.  I am seeing alot of icons I don't see in the legend,  I will post pics later today.  Thanks for trying to help.

Make sure you're aren't using Internet Explorer as your browser (Chrome works well). Also an updated list of icons and what they mean can be found here.

Funny I've worked in IT for 23 years and most problems that 'fix themselves' with a reboot will come again and again.... hardware gets used/hot, problem shows again. I'm pretty sure this was just some bugs in the settings, they were specifically ticked or unticked and triple checked and after rebooting settings would different. The main thing was that the host filter was enabling itself while ticking and unticking. Finicky. Also the controls/UI is buggy for sure. Sometimes you can go into a menu and when you try and come out to select another menu within the original header you must back all the way out by selecting another totally different menu then go back. Hope that makes sense. Anyway. I played maybe 30 games and now I have icon questions. I am seeing alot of icons I don't see in the legend, I will post pics later today. Thanks for trying to help.

I am not saying I do not service the machines because of this but the problem of the "my laptop wont boot" or "i just have a black screen" most of the time the customers description of the problem is usually fixed in some cases.

It was just to show how a turn off for a while or a reboot works wonders but you already know this but didn't try ;)

I hope this has sorted it for you , I have never had an issue with the GUI.

I always factory reset after upgrading and I always reboot after changing things.

I ping 17-34ms during gunfights without the netduma.

I ping 17-33ms with the duma. Take 10ms off the ping graph in game. The ping to host would be more accurate on the UI page.

What A7 said in the first post should work. Super turbo mode disables your congestion control and I try reactive. Pre-emptive works if you have less than 100mb down. I have never gotten good speed results using it.

Also there is a bug in the current firmware when you move the distribution flower it will mess up your speeds. In the next update it will be fixed. If you reset the distribution it fixes it.

Archived