Ping assist advice

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Deez said:

Now that ping assist is available, does anyone have any advice on the best way to set it up?

Ping Assist secures you a game host with a ping less than the value you choose. If you had a high base ping (e.g 20ms), you'd need to set your Ping Assist value to something higher, maybe 40 or 50ms. That's because you can't physically connect to games with a lower ping than your base ping, and you also need to account for distance.

50ms is generally a good choice. If you want to filter using only Ping Assist, set your home location in the middle of the ocean and your Distance slider to the lowest value. Then you can't connect using the radius any more, and your game is only able to connect to hosts chosen by Ping Assist :)

• Administrators

Leave Strict mode on unless you’re playing Destiny. 

This Ping Assist guide may also be helpful: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

I’m still struggling with getting a lower ping than 68-88 on pubg with the Xbox one x  hard wired. With it on spectating that’s the ping I would get generally. There’s a server from Vegas I get sometimes with an 18 ms ping and that’s the best I’ve seen. I set my location to the ocean as suggested and set everything as mentioned in the above comments and I still get the same amazon servers with the 68-88 ping have I done something wrong? It also seems if I deny the servers I get them anyway. 

• Netduma Staff
21 hours ago, Point312 said:

I’m still struggling with getting a lower ping than 68-88 on pubg with the Xbox one x  hard wired. With it on spectating that’s the ping I would get generally. There’s a server from Vegas I get sometimes with an 18 ms ping and that’s the best I’ve seen. I set my location to the ocean as suggested and set everything as mentioned in the above comments and I still get the same amazon servers with the 68-88 ping have I done something wrong? It also seems if I deny the servers I get them anyway. 

Hi, welcome to the forum! That Vegas server sounds amazing, it'd be awesome if you could get that every time.

You could try setting your home location on top of that Vegas server and turning your Distance slider way down. With Strict Mode on and Ping Assist at 0ms, you'd be effectively forcing the game to connect you only to the Vegas server.

With that setup though, you're forcing the game to do something it doesn't necessarily want to do. You might have to keep searching for a bit until you manage to connect to it, or it might kick you from the game before you manage to join. It's trial and error, but could be worth it for 18ms :D

• 3 weeks later...

I tried that but unfortunately it didn’t work. I still get the dedicated servers that Pubg sends it to 60-85 ping. I put the circle on top of the servers area didn’t get it. I also put it in the ocean with ping assist at 40 and also at 0. The only thing that made a change was the ping assist at zero and over my location it didn’t let me into a game until I put it on spectate or raised the ping assist. 

• Administrators

PUBG is like that unfortunately - it chooses the server without checking if you can connect to it. So the best option is to use Spectating Mode, and then when you're in the pre game lobby, exit back to the main screen and search again whenever you're given a high ping server.

The other option of filtering just causes the game to freeze for ages - so Spectating Mode and manually quitting is a much faster option