New Firmware V2.2.1.10

I updated to this version. No real changes that I could see. Probably just “bug fixes”. I was hoping for Ping Assist on this release, but it did not happen. There was a post a while back on what was to be included in the next firmware release. Ping Assist was one of them. That post was later removed. My guess is that Netduma is under the direction of Netgear on what can be done/added on these firmware releases. These first releases are probably going to be purely bug fixes, and we may be waiting awhile for any real new features to be added to the XR500 DumaOS. :/

I was really hoping for Ping Assist too  :( im glad you say there was a post saying it would be in the next update I thought id read it somewhere but couldn't find it for the life of me so it being deleted makes sense, shame though. Really do miss ping assist 

I updated to this version. No real changes that I could see. Probably just “bug fixes”. I was hoping for Ping Assist on this release, but it did not happen. There was a post a while back on what was to be included in the next firmware release. Ping Assist was one of them. That post was later removed. My guess is that Netduma is under the direction of Netgear on what can be done/added on these firmware releases. These first releases are probably going to be purely bug fixes, and we may be waiting awhile for any real new features to be added to the XR500 DumaOS. :/

• Administrators

Hi all, this is likely a phased rollout to ensure that it does not cause major issues to peoples routers which is why it's not available on the site and why not everyone has the option of upgrading to it. As soon as they ascertain that it's not caused any issues more people will be able to upgrade to it. 

It is bug fixes mainly from what I'm aware.

It still has not fixed the Firewall port 22 not being in stealth mode it seems. :(

I have mentioned it to them so all parties are aware. Was likely to late to make the cut for this firmware version.

Where can I download v2.2.1.10 frmwer i have lot of issue with my router Thank you

Can't download at the moment but please make a topic regarding your issues and we'll be happy to help.

I was literally about to post this! Any of the support guys recommend a power cycle or will it brick 

My rx500 told me that theres a new update i press the update button and now my router wont turn on it only flash the first light and thats it plz need help

• Administrators

My rx500 told me that theres a new update i press the update button and now my router wont turn on it only flash the first light and thats it plz need help

I was literally about to post this! Any of the support guys recommend a power cycle or will it brick 

Not to worry we can recover it. 

Can you tell me how you did the upgrade? Was this using the top right button on the interface or were you in Settings > Administration > Firmware Update and then click Check and allow it to upgrade from there?

Hi Fraser, 

I used the top right button on the interface to update mine. Started updating then said failed and is sat with the power light blinking 

Not to worry we can recover it. 

Can you tell me how you did the upgrade? Was this using the top right button on the interface or were you in Settings > Administration > Firmware Update and then click Check and allow it to upgrade from there?

• Administrators

While upgrading the firmware it failed in the process and now the power button is just blinking with no internet, been like this for hours now. Can someone please help

I have PM'd you with instructions, please follow them to resolve the issue.

I have PM'd you with instructions, please follow them to resolve the issue.

Fraser

could you PM me instructions for flash recovery please ... just in case i dabble and break it lol 

cheers

As a previous R7800 user netgear do randomly release bug fix firmwares which will make way for a bigger firmware at least this forum gives the support to users which is great.

Guest Killhippie

Netgear are not particularly fast at releases and do have a habit of breaking more things than they fix, this happened so often on both the R7000 and the R7800 (which is now my backup router) The issues with PPPoE  have been going on for a while, and the Firewall was reported to Engineering maybe 3 weeks ago, now considering a third party firmware writer on SNB can patch GPL packages and compile in a few days, many of the issues affecting the XR500 could have been easily fixed in this update, but Netgear can be very slow bringing out new updates, or fixing known bugs. They also randomly drop 'security fixes'  far to quickly without proper testing thus breaking other parts of their own firmware.

I have learnt not to expect timely patches and some bugs may need to be pointed out several times. Also some of these issues may be down to Qualcomm too so things may well take longer than usual, but at least this forum offers timely support, also smallnetbuilder can be useful too. God help using phone or email support which I generally only attempt as a last resort because it can be a very painful experience where you wonder if they read your emails or just give generic responses, you need to get past level 1 support so ironically its like a platform game.

I take it you referring to Voxel and agree as the firmwares he’s released are great and fixed tons of issues,trouble is Netduma can’t do that as they need to go through NETGEAR ,hopefully there firmware’s which they create will be better than Netgear previous troubles ,agree with you as without voxel the R7800 would not have been so goo

Guest Killhippie

I was indeed, Voxel fixed so many out of date packages in that router, it was scary to see netgear at points using a 12 year old version of miniupnd that always sticks in my mind and that was last year, if Voxel had not updated these things that router would have been a security nightmare and no where nearly as good since netgear had not even used the write code for the CPU so it was basically underclocked really. If Netgear are still in control of the GLP and OpenSSL stuff rather than the Netduma team, maybe the guys here should chat with Voxel send him an XR500 and get him on board patching all the stuff like he did on the R7800. I'm just hoping they have this all up to date on this router, maybe I should grab a copy of the XR500 GPL if Netgear have published it and take a peak... then again maybe I shouldn't ;)