Best way to change MTU

It would be better not to change it.

If you actually need to change it and you're not simply trying it because some idiot said it will fix lag compensation, then change it on your ISP router and leave your Netduma set to automatic.

But your ISP router probably automatically detects the correct size and sets it accordingly anyway.

Well it works for me with fifa 17 , the difference is night and day when i put mtu below 1300,  the game runs faster and players react faster, i went 32-8 on fut champions and before changing it i could barley win 10 games.

Try this , start a game with netduma webpage opened up . go to lan and keep changing mtu while playing to find your best setting. 

There are program's out there that can test your best mtu setting no need to fiddle around with it. However I find DSL is typically 1492 and cable/fiber is 1500 or 9000 with jumbo frames assuming the network allows for it, but usually it doesn't so not something to worry about.

Try this , start a game with netduma webpage opened up . go to lan and keep changing mtu while playing to find your best setting. 

This is not a good method to find the correct mtu setting.

I was just thinking about the legal angle when someone burns down their house.

Now I'm thinking that anyone that stupid shouldn't be allowed near anything electrical anyway :P

If your gonna change your MTU (which I wouldn't as IMO it's pointless) do it on your PS4 and not on your router as you might not be able to connect to the internet if you set it to low.

So much BS on YT about changing your MTU and you'll get better gameplay some might but most don't.Everyone's home network is different so I can't say it won't work for some people but again most it just makes a bad situation worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Does automatic mtu work? I have done a test, i am on ppoe on netdum and i have disabled mtu on wan settings and changed to 1492, my optimal mtu (1480 on xbox net test). Hit registration, aim, etc, on halo 5, changed from night to day.

On my isp modem i don't have a option to change mtu.

So i am thinking that with automatic mtu enabled there was something not working well. What do u think?

I have tried changing MTU on my isp modem Dg834gt

And have found that it will stop you for connecting to some servers e.g 1500 defaults to London server

1458(modems default Mtu) seems to put me on French server.but the main thing that makes all the difference for me is the Geofilter.

Don't know why this works but setting home location to uk with these settings makes all the diference to infinite warfare(Xbox one)

325-600 klm

PA 5-10 ms ( my base ping is 30)

Strict on

Try it you might like it!!!

And have found that it will stop you for connecting to some servers e.g 1500 defaults to London server

1458(modems default Mtu) seems to put me on French server.

I'm sure this is just coincidental.

• Administrators

Does automatic mtu work? I have done a test, i am on ppoe on netdum and i have disabled mtu on wan settings and changed to 1492, my optimal mtu (1480 on xbox net test). Hit registration, aim, etc, on halo 5, changed from night to day.

On my isp modem i don't have a option to change mtu.

So i am thinking that with automatic mtu enabled there was something not working well. What do u think?

It does yes, your modem will be using a default MTU which the R1 will detect and set accordingly. I believe that your change in gameplay is a placebo however if its working for you then great to hear that!

I'm sure this is just coincidental.

This ^