With dedicated servers. Can't netduma be used to "cheat"

Ie if I live near a dedicated server that I always connect to. Then, assuming netduma can kick people joining the lobby that don't meet the filter requirements then I can use my netduma to set home far away from me but include me and the dedicated server near the edge and make sure that out of the whole lobby I am the closest to the server giving me advantage. No?

Conversely if I set my my position at real home and set distance to hit the dedicated server then I may be putting myself at a disadvantage as I'm ensuring that much of the lobby will be closer to the server than me....

I have had a few beers so I may be talking bs and I know nothing about networking....

Ie if I live near a dedicated server that I always connect to. Then, assuming netduma can kick people joining the lobby that don't meet the filter requirements then I can use my netduma to set home far away from me but include me and the dedicated server near the edge and make sure that out of the whole lobby I am the closest to the server giving me advantage. No?

Conversely if I set my my position at real home and set distance to hit the dedicated server then I may be putting myself at a disadvantage as I'm ensuring that much of the lobby will be closer to the server than me....

I have had a few beers so I may be talking bs and I know nothing about networking....

You can't effect what other people connect to. If you are host, then people can only connect if they are within your filter settings. Other than that, you can't do anything to "cheat"

Ok I see.

I’m being dumb sorry...

so basically ...

there is absolutely no need for me to utilise host/ping/geo filtering (for bops3/ps4 at least)

(as for bops3, 100% of time, I connect to the same server in Northern France (I assume dedi),

games are always good (if there arnt too many quick scopers;)), always get a 20-25ms ping to them.)

Simply put you can only control what dedi you connect to with your GF.

But the duma can't control who else connects to that same dedi or how good their connection is.

Simply put you can only control what dedi you connect to with your GF.

But the duma can't control who else connects to that same dedi or how good their connection is.

How do you control what dedi you connect with? I almost always connect to a dedi and I seem to have no control over which one it is. What is the purpose of then of the geo filter distance setting if I'm always connecting to a dedi outside of it.

@reconnected The only way to control what dedi you connect to is to avoid it. No matter what have strict mode on and ping assist either set to 0 or to a value that is less that what the dedi is accepting if that makes sense.

You gotta move your home location around until you find a server that is plays well for you.

How do you control what dedi you connect with? I almost always connect to a dedi and I seem to have no control over which one it is. What is the purpose of then of the geo filter distance setting if I'm always connecting to a dedi outside of it.

First you shouldn't be connecting to a dedi outside your GF.Like Buck said make sure struck mode is ticked,PA set to zero and make sure your GF is on,it should say disabled.

And if you have bad games on a dedi move your home location to avoid that dedi.

For those that somehow haven't heard yet..... I live outside Seattle and the local dedi is trash, rubbish, shite, GAR-BAGE!

I use STRICT mode, PA=0 and put my Geo Filter HOME over Illinois.  Again, I live in Washington state and I am camping HOME in Illinois. 

I then boot up my PS4 and sign into the multiplayer.

This effectively allows me to camp the dedicated servers in Illinois, which play drastically better, than the local ones I SHOULD be connecting to for MP gameplay.

This has allowed me a much more pleasurable gaming experience as the WTF moments have been reduced greatly.

That is all..... Oh, except, YMMV   :P  :ph34r:

JD

We need to do a thread where we list all the known dedis for each console that way we can move our home locations around until we find a server that plays well for us.

Because right now I'm camping Kansas. But they are mostly P2P's.

We need to do a thread where we list all the known dedis for each console that way we can move our home locations around until we find a server that plays well for us.

I live in the Northeast and I have my geofilter set in the Northeast with PA set to 50. I almost always connect in Kansas. Interesting enough, my base ping is around 30ish, but I always ping the Kansas server right at 30ms. I'm not complaining because it's awesome, but just weird!

I agree and that Kansas and Texas servers are the best for me at the moment.

YMMV

I agree and that Kansas and Texas servers are the best for me at the moment.

YMMV

When I am on XB1, which I CAN'T be right now - but I digress, I play Kansas almost exclusively and it does play better than either Seattle or San Fran.

For those that somehow haven't heard yet..... I live outside Seattle and the local dedi is trash, rubbish, shite, GAR-BAGE!

I use STRICT mode, PA=0 and put my Geo Filter HOME over Illinois.  Again, I live in Washington state and I am camping HOME in Illinois. 

I then boot up my PS4 and sign into the multiplayer.

This effectively allows me to camp the dedicated servers in Illinois, which play drastically better, than the local ones I SHOULD be connecting to for MP gameplay.

This has allowed me a much more pleasurable gaming experience as the WTF moments have been reduced greatly.

That is all..... Oh, except, YMMV   :P  :ph34r:

JD

This is what boggles my mind...aren't you defeating the whole purpose of the router? If your home location is now half way across the country from where you "actually" are, wouldn't that increase ping times? 

I admit I don't have a great networking mind but holy cow.

This is what boggles my mind...aren't you defeating the whole purpose of the router? If your home location is now half way across the country from where you "actually" are, wouldn't that increase ping times? 

I admit I don't have a great networking mind but holy cow.

You would think that, wouldn't you?  Welcome to the interesting and always complex world of digital traffic.

To answer your questions:  Yes, this increases my NetDuma game ping from about 15-17ms (on Seattle) to around 54-58ms (Illinois).  However the hit detection is better and I truly believe I am getting benefit of Lag Comp when I do this as I win a lot more gunfights on Illinois than I ever get playing Seattle or San Fran.

While the router was DESIGNED to allow me to connect locally, the local connections suck.  With the very same software however, I can force a connection to a box I know plays well (for me) and still get the same level of game enjoyment.  For me, that is all I want.

In addition, all the way back to the start of AW, the Seattle dedis have been shit.  It's not even shoot first die first, it's I don't even SEE you and you have already killed me, tea-bagged me and took my gun or tags.  Seattle is a black hole, and I feel that way about the city too, fuck that place.  :-)

Give it a try and see what you think.  What will it really cost you?  The software does all the work.

At least half the time I connect to Seattle and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not. I usually don't have a problem with Seattle, east coast or Florida. Kansas is the one I try and avoid.

I am surprised on how often I connect to Dedi though, at least 75% of the time.

I am surprised on how often I connect to Dedi though, at least 75% of the time.

Well, that is what all of us wanted before we learned how terrible that experience can be.  Give me the random rage quit with a failed host migration over marshmellow bullets and phantom kill cams ANY DAY.

How could so many people, with such a wealth of knowledge, be so VERY wrong about a move forward?  Man, we as a community failed ourselves on that one....LOL

How could so many people, with such a wealth of knowledge, be so VERY wrong about a move forward?  Man, we as a community failed ourselves on that one....LOL

Knowledge is power. The Duma now gives us that knowledge. Without the Duma we were non the wiser.

When I am on XB1, which I CAN'T be right now - but I digress, I play Kansas almost exclusively and it does play better than either Seattle or San Fran.

Yea it does. That Kansas server was godly at times during the last life and breath of AW before it died for me!

Archived