Terrible Ping Jitter and Spikes...

Situation: I just moved back to Denver and have comcast internet. Paying for 150 down 20 up and and mostly pulling those speeds. Modem in bridge mode, everything running through duma. Black Ops 3 running pretty rough for me and I'm pretty sure the problem is my ISP. Duma working great as far as I can tell. I've been running the internet diagnostics every now and then and getting varied results.  Sometimes it's all exceptional, sometimes it's all terrible.  Mostly, I get a good ping with bad jitter and/or terrible spikes as shown in the attachment.  FYI, I've seen ping measurements of over 1000ms...

post-850-0-82549300-1447291435_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-58333300-1447291457_thumb.jpg

So I called Comcast to let them know I had a problem and that I thought it was in the line. They resent the signal, remotely rebooted the gateway and are sending a technician out as the first two measures were completely ineffective.  Usually, when I talk to these guys, they look at me like I have two heads. So to my two questions.

First, is there anything I should specifically ask my ISP to do? That is, how do I explain the problem in a way that helps them actually fix the issue?

Second, is there anything I can do with the duma to help lessen the the jitter, ping spikes and otherwise miserable lag while I sort through my issues with the ISP?  

Thanks in advance for any help and if it saves you time, I've followed all the steps included in the WIKI.

Jitter is usually caused by ISP contention/congestion , not enough bandwidth to go round all users in your area.

You are seeing more jitter at peak times when users are downloading and streaming.

Use the duma diagnostics to show the enigneer and you can run ping plotter pro (free for 30 days use)
over a long length of time but do not use the internet while doing the test , unlike the duma which shuts down everything while it tests.

Type 8.8.8.8 into the target and press start.

• Netduma Staff

It seams to be ISP congestion which is the problem, so you need to make sure they resolve that. You said that you get varied results which is probably because the connection only happens on peek time. Because of this, I'd suggest running ping plotter for a day so that if the tech arrives and sees no problems, you can show him those results :)

It's not the ISPs fault. I wrote a post in a topic named Jitter. I have the same problem and it's definitely on the R1s side! I have done tests for the past 2 weeks (every day and night) and it's the R1s fault. 

Thread: 

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/8396-jitter/

I'll send mine back because it's broken. Pingplotter runs day and night at home. When I use the ISP modem I get 20-40 ms on peak times. Netduma shoots it up to 1900 sometimes 400-500. And I tried every possible setting for the R1.

• Netduma Staff

It's not the ISPs fault. I wrote a post in a topic named Jitter. I have the same problem and it's definitely on the R1s side! I have done tests for the past 2 weeks (every day and night) and it's the R1s fault. 

I'll send mine back because it's broken. Pingplotter runs day and night at home. When I use the ISP modem I get 20-40 ms on peak times. Netduma shoots it up to 1900 sometimes 400-500. And I tried every possible setting for the R1.

Those tests are through the Netduma's ping diagnostics which means there are no other devices using his connection so I'm pretty sure it is his ISP.

My ping is low but I've been seeing spikes up to 100+ in some lobbies (especially when I'm killed).

I just stopped and picked up a new switch (old one 10/100 and when I mean old, I mean old) and got a gigabit and all new Cat6 cables to replace the 5's just to eliminate that end of the spectrum from what I'm seeing.

I probably could have been more specific...I always have bad/terrible jitter and spikes, it's not related to congestion at high traffic times. I work from home and it's bad all the time.

I've been running ping plotter for about an hour now and there's one hop in particular that seems pretty bad.  Is there anything you'd recommend I point out to the technician once he arrives?I know he's got a new modem coming, but after looking at the ping plotter, I don't see how a new modem will help.  Is there a way to remove that hop?

post-850-0-75128400-1447349774_thumb.jpg

Any other ideas for how I might address this?

• Netduma Staff

No way to remove the hop I don't think but you definitely need to show that to him as it shows it isn't a problem with the modem, but instead something further down the line. Just to rule out this being a problem with the Netduma, can you connect directly to the modem and see if you still get the problem.

Crossy, I just finished that step.  I took the gateway out of bridge mode and hardwired the pc to the gateway.  The way the hops jitter is different (now instead of one bad hop, they all bounce around) but there's still a lot of jitter so I don't think it's is the netduma.  I think I'm probably going to have to switch internet providers.  This is lame...

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue. my isp is Time Warner Cable 50down 5up when i run speedtest.net i run around a 60 ping on net duma router with much lower speeds than my isp modem/router. In game im averaging the 60 ping + terrible ping spike up to 150 and i can feel it in game. My stats still have improved with this router so id love to get this issue fixed! i have tired tons of different settings and can find no fix!

Yeah, I can't say what that specifically is in the line, but that is more than 90% likely to be on the provider side, and I suspect that problem may be area wide around your home.

First problem will be you may get a junior tech or installer who are trained to replace modems, cables, splitters, fittings, check signal levels and "replace" over "investigate and repair".   They just don't have the kind of time to crack open a large, area effecting problem, that is for more of the Area Maintenance Tech or Senior Tech.

I'd start with the guy they send and explain what you can until his eyes glass over.  Past that point, you are going to be talking merely for your benefit.  Have him take you to the connection point on the street.  Hopefully it will be on your property corner and he can ground lay a fresh line up to the house so you can test the quality of the line on the street.  Try to get him to agree to leave the temp line for a few days (you will have to sign an official release most times of basic Release of Liability and that you are aware of the ground laid line) so you can test their plant with the ping plotter.

If you can get to the point where you are testing their plant, on a brand new line, and can show a record - It becomes a Quality of Service issue that must be addressed.

Good luck.

JD

Situation: I just moved back to Denver and have comcast internet. Paying for 150 down 20 up and and mostly pulling those speeds. Modem in bridge mode, everything running through duma. Black Ops 3 running pretty rough for me and I'm pretty sure the problem is my ISP. Duma working great as far as I can tell. I've been running the internet diagnostics every now and then and getting varied results.  Sometimes it's all exceptional, sometimes it's all terrible.  Mostly, I get a good ping with bad jitter and/or terrible spikes as shown in the attachment.  FYI, I've seen ping measurements of over 1000ms...

attachicon.gifInternetdiag1.JPG

attachicon.gifInternetdiag2.JPG

So I called Comcast to let them know I had a problem and that I thought it was in the line. They resent the signal, remotely rebooted the gateway and are sending a technician out as the first two measures were completely ineffective.  Usually, when I talk to these guys, they look at me like I have two heads. So to my two questions.

First, is there anything I should specifically ask my ISP to do? That is, how do I explain the problem in a way that helps them actually fix the issue?

Second, is there anything I can do with the duma to help lessen the the jitter, ping spikes and otherwise miserable lag while I sort through my issues with the ISP?  

Thanks in advance for any help and if it saves you time, I've followed all the steps included in the WIKI.

I emailed [email protected] there might be a period in there but he is like the nbc ceo over in philly. The day of your email you will probably get a few calls from every lead tech in the area, I know I did. They are still working with me, but that is the best way to get anything done with them. It usually some woman who emails me right back.

Good luck against the evil empire!

Archived