Do we need a Home Troubleshooting Guide?

Dillinger

So for some that have been here a hot minute, the Outside of my house where does my signal go? thread has garnered some good interest.  I think it helped those that read through it understand a bit more than (game/TV/router/wifi and "other") in regards to traffic.

Because of that I guess, I have recently been helping with some Twitter and DM home issues for a few members in regards to cable TV service, troubleshooting, and "how to talk to the cable TV people to get them to understand what I want fixed".

Which led me to starting this topic.  Would you guys like a basic troubleshooting primer and some watch words/clues/"ability to prove" to your service providers a little better what is wrong?

It will be essentially just some good BASIC troubleshooting measures that you can do on your own BEFORE you have to pick up the phone and try to get PAST customer service to get an actual real world tech to your home to fix your issues.

I know the knee jerk reaction is "Yes please" but if it's just going to be talking for the sense of doing so, I can easily just tell the story to my dogs.   ;)  :ph34r:

I know that Crossy, Zennon, Buck and Fraser can provide a lot of support to the router specific questions, where my strength is not as refined, so this might help with the second stage of shit not working right "for you" and give you a few tools for the troubleshooting tool box.

Let me know what you guys think. 

JD

• Netduma Staff

I think it's a good idea. There are times where problems are an ISP issue and in those situations, as it isn't a Netduma problem the support becomes more limited. A guide to link to with the data to include, software that can include it, maybe some technical terms to actually properly describe the problem and stuff like that would help people who are in that nasty situation of having to ring their ISP, lol. :)

So for some that have been here a hot minute, the Outside of my house where does my signal go? thread has garnered some good interest. I think it helped those that read through it understand a bit more than (game/TV/router/wifi and "other") in regards to traffic.

Because of that I guess, I have recently been helping with some Twitter and DM home issues for a few members in regards to cable TV service, troubleshooting, and "how to talk to the cable TV people to get them to understand what I want fixed".

Which led me to starting this topic. Would you guys like a basic troubleshooting primer and some watch words/clues/"ability to prove" to your service providers a little better what is wrong?

It will be essentially just some good BASIC troubleshooting measures that you can do on your own BEFORE you have to pick up the phone and try to get PAST customer service to get an actual real world tech to your home to fix your issues.

I know the knee jerk reaction is "Yes please" but if it's just going to be talking for the sense of doing so, I can easily just tell the story to my dogs. ;) :ph34r:

I know that Crossy, Zennon, Buck and Fraser can provide a lot of support to the router specific questions, where my strength is not as refined, so this might help with the second stage of shit not working right "for you" and give you a few tools for the troubleshooting tool box.

Let me know what you guys think.

JD

Every little bit helps. For me the one person I have been dealing with from Cox says my problems are because of the Netduma. Your knowledge is valuable.

I say yes,maybe if I would have had the "how to talk to your cable guy to get what you want fixed" my ISP wouldn't have called the police on me,sad but true... :D

I think it would help a lot as lot's of us have ISP/cable issues and called the ISP,got a tech sent out and he "fixed" the issue but the issue returns the next day,so we call our ISP again...wash,rinse,repeat.

And on top of that I just like reading the stuff you write JD... :D

• Administrators

Absolutely, just as Crossy says we could put this on the Wiki, just now I had someone on Twitter with bad internet diagnostic results. This would enable us to provide an extra layer of support beyond our own product, 100% would love this to happen :)

Archived