My XR1000 issues seems resolved for me after using the nmrpflash tool and flashing the firmware.

Hi all, long time lurker. Ive had an XR500 since launch and an XR1000 since launch. Ive been using the XR1000 exclusively since I got it.  Ive had most of the frustrating and annoying issues people describe here in the forum. Ive lurked and tried a lot of the suggestions given. Actually, I think I did find this particular one on this forum too but Im not sure which post it was.

Ive had quite a few of the issues reported. Devices not connecting\losing connection requiring a router reboot to work again. Rebooting the device and router at least daily which escalated to more reboots needed over time. Finally after rebooting there was a 50% chance the router would reset itself and Id need to factory reset it. This became a daily event. Often multilple times a day in the end. 

Id get the hasrl CGI errors\inaccessable web GUI and the routers WIFI would work but not work (hard to describe this one) and need to factory reset. Im sure Im missing some other quirky issue here also. Anyways, nothing seemed to help. Resets and re-configs didnt help. Doing the dhcp in the .50s and using IP reservations didnt do anything. I think port forwarding made things worse haha.  I finally tried to use TFTP to re-load the firmware. Now this is a troubleshooting method Netgear gives. They even mention its to help with DHCP issues. But the instructions on the Netgear site simply do not work. There is a very short window to get the command in which feels impossible with my feeble human fingers. Ended up finding a post here believe mentioning using nmrpflash instead and using that to flash the router firmware. 

This may not be simple for non-technical individuals as skillsets do vary. Once everything is connected, it worked without issue. It did take a me few moments to get the connection working I will admit but that might be just me. So, again, I do heed caution if you are unfamiliar with some of this stuff as you could potentially brick something. Chances of that are provably low but you never know so Ill throw out a precaution. I got the software from a Github but Im not sure if its ok to post links here. 

I went ahead and used nmrpflash per the ReadMe instuctions on the Github. I used the most recent Xr1000 firmware, 1.0.0.68_1.0.54. So far, its been just over a month and Ive rebooted once about a week ago. This was due to a setting change I made. Ive configured it and I havent had a device lose connection and need a router reboot yet. Even the notorious old TV and old samsung tablet I have that lost connection every single day.  Its crazy to me. So far so good anyway...  I hope my little anecdotal experience maybe helps someone else out there because I do love this router but it also can be a really frustrating little piece of technology when it wants to be. 

Little additional info here. Ill throw in some links but if not allowed, delete them. Here is the Netgear KB article that led me to try to use TFTP rather than just factory resetting or using an old firmware and uploading through the GUI ( Ive done those so many times now its hilarious.). This TFTP method may work but I could not get it to with the XR1000. I tried quite a few times before just giving up out of frustration. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

I kept poking around for how to TFTP a firmware to the router and eventually came across this post. This isnt from this forum but appears to be the Netgear equivalent sister forum. This led me to try to use the nmrpflash tool to get the firmware flashed. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR1000-unresponsive-and-unable-to-update-firmware/m-p/2216450

Interesting. I have all the same issues listed with my xr1000. I have also been lurking for answers/resolution for quite awhile lol. Pretty sure Fraser would block me if he could. I will give this a go tonight and report back.

Haha I hear ya man. Ive tried most everything and nothing really ever helped for any extended period of time. Usually it was back to its same shenanigans the next day if not the same day. I was at the point of giving up and tried this. I cant say if it will stay working this way but its the most stable its been for a long, long time. Good luck man, I really hope it helps. 

I tried TFTP and all you get are timeouts even if you time when the light turns orange and see the light indicate that Ethernet is active that didn't work for me and I tried nmrpflash but all I get is no such file directory even though it in there unless I am smoking crack at this point might have to do it on a windows since mac doesn't seem to be the simplest way to do this and there barely any info out there doing it on mac. Unless someone understands what am doing incorrectly here would be appreciated

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.30.30 PM.png

• Administrators
14 hours ago, DARKNESS said:

I tried TFTP and all you get are timeouts even if you time when the light turns orange and see the light indicate that Ethernet is active that didn't work for me and I tried nmrpflash but all I get is no such file directory even though it in there unless I am smoking crack at this point might have to do it on a windows since mac doesn't seem to be the simplest way to do this and there barely any info out there doing it on mac. Unless someone understands what am doing incorrectly here would be appreciated

Might be the \ you put after nmrpflash

Definitely run as admin like Fraser says. I did mine on Windows but I think I got stuck at the same spot for a min. I think I was trying to run the nmrpflash app and then somehow enter the command from in that screen. Im pretty sure I ended up just running the command like this in a powershell from the directory nmrpflash is located is in.  ".\nmrpflash -i net22 -f XR1000-V1.0.0.68_1.0.54.chk" without quotes and it did the trick. Its been over a month now so my recall is a little hazy. I just remember having a very similar problem trying to launch it.

Im not great with Macs\linux honestly but I believe the command to list is ls.

I know once you can get into that directory with the file, it should work. Im just not sure why its saying directory not found. Could you try to do just "cd downloads" and see if that puts you into the downloads folder? Then do the "ls" command if youre able. 

Most Netgear supports nmrp recovery, this is a simple way to return to stock. TFTP recovery is very similar in that it works from the bootloader of the router, before the OS even boots, so it will not matter what OS is installed or if that OS is able to boot. TFTP recovery should be activated by holding down the reset button while turning the power on and keep holding the button until the power LED flashes orange. NMRP if supported will load when the router is turned on without pressing any buttons, when the PC is running an NMRP server.

I did it on an Xr500 a while ago and it worked "for me"