My XR1000 issues seems resolved for me after using the nmrpflash tool and flashing the firmware.

I did try a few different TFTP clients and could never get any of them to work with the XR1000. Always seemed to time out. I tried probably 30 times and could never get the timing to work. It may actually work great but I just couldnt get it to in any reasonable amount of time with the XR1000.  This is why I kept poking around for another solution. I eventually landed on nmrpflash which pretty much worked right away. The TFTP method would actually be simpler to use I think but as far as I can tell the timing is insanely difficult to get right. At least for me it was lol. 

@KingzzyI've tried holding the reset button while powering on that doesn't work done it like 10 times in different ways to have the same thing occur might be the fact the XR1000 isn't designed to be tffp unless they have a secret sequence which there not telling anyone about 😂 To add the light is orange at the start on the XR1000 is the XR500 white or something?

1 hour ago, DARKNESS said:

@KingzzyI've tried holding the reset button while powering on that doesn't work done it like 10 times in different ways to have the same thing occur might be the fact the XR1000 isn't designed to be tffp unless they have a secret sequence which there not telling anyone about 😂 To add the light is orange at the start on the XR1000 is the XR500 white or something?

follow this: How do I upload firmware to my NETGEAR router using a TFTP client on Microsoft Windows? - NETGEAR Support

The XR models are all the same  if I was able to do it you can too. Mistake on my part it was an XR700

@DARKNESSI use Parallels primarily. Vmware and VirtualBox are good options. My recommendation would actually be VirtualBox since its free.

@Miiiithraaks@Netduma Fraser Update: I used the 'nmrpflash' method to flash the most recent firmware onto my XR1000. The web interface definitely feels more responsive, and I don't believe it's a placebo effect. I haven't noticed any devices being dropped from the network, which has been a major issue for me since I originally set up the router. I'm still monitoring this, as all my devices have yet to be reconnected to the network due to an SSID change for both bands. There's nothing concerning in the router's logs other than the usual entry: 'DoS attack: ACK Scan from source: etc.' There's no question IPV6 is still broken. Every few hours or days, I have to log in to reconfigure it for IPv6 internet access. Hopefully we can get some real fixes with the upcoming update.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, AZX said:

@DARKNESSI use Parallels primarily. Vmware and VirtualBox are good options. My recommendation would actually be VirtualBox since its free.

@Miiiithraaks@Netduma Fraser Update: I used the 'nmrpflash' method to flash the most recent firmware onto my XR1000. The web interface definitely feels more responsive, and I don't believe it's a placebo effect. I haven't noticed any devices being dropped from the network, which has been a major issue for me since I originally set up the router. I'm still monitoring this, as all my devices have yet to be reconnected to the network due to an SSID change for both bands. There's nothing concerning in the router's logs other than the usual entry: 'DoS attack: ACK Scan from source: etc.' There's no question IPV6 is still broken. Every few hours or days, I have to log in to reconfigure it for IPv6 internet access. Hopefully we can get some real fixes with the upcoming update.

That's really good to hear thanks for the update. IPv6 would be something for Netgear so not something we can directly address unfortunately.

On 10/2/2023 at 2:53 AM, AZX said:

What operating system did you use it on? I'm on Windows 11 and I can't do anything, it closes automatically, and I already installed the additional program to run nmrpflash (npcap)

Thats the part that wasnt clear for me either. Ill see if I can walk you through it as best I can. 

Connect router to PC with ethernet per instructions. Have router on. 

Open a cmd window as admin. 

cd to the directory that has the nmrpflash.exe in it

-run the command: nmrpflash -L

If thats done right a new cmd window should open and have a list of results of your computers network interfaces. Youll want to note the interface  your router is connected to for the next command input. This will be the ethernet connection you need, not the wifi one. 

Turn off router. 

Back in the window you ran the nmrpflash -L command, You will want to run the next command. This will use the interface name noted above and the firmware name.

My command for example is: nmrpflash -i net22 -f XR1000-V1.0.0.68_1.0.54.chk 

This will open another cmd window. When it says waiting for ethernet connection... Turn the router on. 

-If this works correctly it will start displaying its connecting and connected. Itll then try and upload the firmware. If it shows a warning about the firmware being oversize or too big, its fine, it should finish normally. 

Reboot  router and reconfig. 

@zzennnn123 Windows 11.. @Miiiithraaks directions are good. Just make sure you change the change command prompt directory to where you have nmrpflash installed.(just move the .exe to your desktop) No need to open the program, you will execute everything in command prompt or powershell. I had some issues with timeouts when I tired to run the utility. I needed to modify the command for mine to start the upload. It ended up looking like this:

cd C:\Users\Antho\OneDrive\Desktop

nmrpflash.exe -L

nmrpflash.exe -i net7 -A 192.168.1.3 -a 192.168.1.1 -f XR1000-V1.0.0.68_1.0.54.chk

just read the github directions if your encountering an issue and if you still cant get it to work i'm sure we can help you figure it out.

Hi, im trying to do the same steps, i tried both ways of using nmrpflash changing the netxxx to the one i use, and Advertising NMRP server on net5 ... / and stays there.

Im turning down the router , then using the lines you left above, and when it says waiting for ethernet, i turn on the router and nothing happens. Should i press the reset button with the power option?

I already found a way. Using the github tool, i first started the router, then , the i used the command mrpflash -i net xx -f XR1000-V1.0.0.68_1.0.54.chk , and while the command was waiting for the connection and the router was already on, i pressed the reset button as long as it blinked orange, and it worked, so for me was like this.

Turned on xr1000, 

Started command 

Press reset as long as it blinks orange

Worked!

Now im gonna test, but as someone told before, UI and all the stuff in the router feels smoother.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, Miiiithraaks said:

Little additional info here. Ill throw in some links but if not allowed, delete them. Here is the Netgear KB article that led me to try to use TFTP rather than just factory resetting or using an old firmware and uploading through the GUI ( Ive done those so many times now its hilarious.). This TFTP method may work but I could not get it to with the XR1000. I tried quite a few times before just giving up out of frustration. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

I kept poking around for how to TFTP a firmware to the router and eventually came across this post. This isnt from this forum but appears to be the Netgear equivalent sister forum. This led me to try to use the nmrpflash tool to get the firmware flashed. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR1000-unresponsive-and-unable-to-update-firmware/m-p/2216450

I have a bricked R2 here, which bricked after an unsuccessful firmware update (it's out of warranty, so I don't send it to netduma)... I've tried everything and I can't access the GUI... Would this tool help me flash a firmware and unbricate it? Or is this tool only for netgear routers?

Thanks brother .... great post

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MarkonikovBR said:

I have a bricked R2 here, which bricked after an unsuccessful firmware update (it's out of warranty, so I don't send it to netduma)... I've tried everything and I can't access the GUI... Would this tool help me flash a firmware and unbricate it? Or is this tool only for netgear routers?

Thanks brother .... great post

As above, not possible to TFTP the R2, make a new topic though and we'll see what we can do to help.

• 4 weeks later...

@AZXSo I retried it using a vm and still didn't work I've tried the the following

• Holding the reset button while interference reboots
  • Powering it on
  • Once it fully powered on and setup+Holding the reset button after and before
  • Changing the IP 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.2 the gateway is 192.168.1.1 no changes

@DARKNESSIt appears all the steps you have taken are correct. I was also having timeout issues attemping to do this. It took alot of playing with the timing between powercycling the router and executing the upload. I also had to manually assign the IP's of both the target device and selected interface.

-A192.168.1.* IP address to assigned to target device (pc)

-a 192.168.1.1 IP address to assigned to selected interface (router) 

nmrpflash.exe -i net7 -A 192.168.1.3 -a 192.168.1.1 -f XR1000-V1.0.0.68_1.0.54.chk

also make sure you have all the required windows features enabled like TFTP client enabled.