Video editing software

ziocomposite

Hey Gents,

So I've recorded some Duma-flavoured gameplay with my ElGato and for some reason it saved a video but failed to save it within ElGato itself so I can't edit the video.  All I usually do is crop the video and shorten it into a condensed clip.

Anyone use a free or reasonably cheap (MP4) video editor that could do this job?  I'm not adding anything fancy.  

Best,

Zio

Guest Netduma Luke

Speaking from experience as Iain and I did all the editing on or feature reveals, I would overwhelmingly recommend one of these two:

If you have windows:

Serif MoviePlus

If you have Linux:

Openshot

I cannot begin to tell you how much time we lost trying to find a good option for windows. I tried Lightworks but I found it to be complete overkill for my purposes. I needed a simple to use, easy to learn editing tool for basic functions. Lightworks is probably amazing for someone who knows what they were doing!

(Both of those recommendations are free by the way)

First of all thank you for the suggestions Sgt. & Luke.  I did some googling and nothing seemed definitive at all so definitely understand how this could have been an issue to find great software for basic needs.  

Lightworks does look ridiculously good for the advanced which I may transition to later on but at the moment will give Movieplus a try after work.  

Best,

zio

I recommend Adobe Premier as well. I went with this option as I got the whole Adobe software package for free from school. haha. Sony Vegas is pretty good as well but Adobe has more features that I would use.  

vegas is very intiutive in its interface compared to the depth of editing you can do with it

adobe premier is more advanced in its editing, but a few levels harder to use and probably requires you to watch a lot of tutorials and manuals

both do have a 30day trial full version i think as well as an entry level low-speced version

dont know about lightworks, the good stuff is always locked behind the paywall

eg the free version only allows to render a 720p video which isnt very high for a youtube video

(even if you capture in 720p from your capture card it makes sense to at least render it in 1080p or 1440p to get a higher bitratio on youtube for better video quality overall)

if all you want to do is cutting and rendering at least look out for features like

- sharpening

- remove interlacing

- color correction (saturation and gamma)

those three really do make your youtube video look much better than if you directly upload the raw material

I use premier pro cc, and it is truely amazing, I know you may say oh but it costs a fortune but if you go to university or a secondary school (high school) check onthehub.com, I got a years subscription for free and I have bought windows and office for £8 each (latest editions)

• 7 months later...

Archived