Is there any feature on the R1 that I've overlooked which auto inputs your download/upload speeds without using speedtest as a reference point?

Not that it's a deal breaker... I just find it odd that I have to source my download/upload elsewhere before using the R1!

:)

Netduma would need servers around the world if it had it's own internal speed tester thats the thing.

There is an option of perchasing a widget from speedtest.net but again you have to host your own servers afaik.

Is there any feature on the R1 that I've overlooked which auto inputs your download/upload speeds without using speedtest as a reference point?

Not that it's a deal breaker... I just find it odd that I have to source my download/upload elsewhere before using the R1!

:)

I thought that once you put your speeds in you don't need to keep adjusting them. I put my speeds in about a month ago and haven't touched them sine along with my geo filter and ping.

Before gaming I just give the internet thingy a check to check ping etc. Other than that I leave it alone

I thought that once you put your speeds in you don't need to keep adjusting them. I put my speeds in about a month ago and haven't touched them sine along with my geo filter and ping.

Before gaming I just give the internet thingy a check to check ping etc. Other than that I leave it alone

The problem I have is if I run a speed test now, I may get 60 down and 20up.

If I run the test later on this evening just before I start gaming, I may get 20down and 13up.

My guess is that the speed test is greatly inaccurate. Should I input an average speed for my internet and leave it at that?

I think it depends on the speeds provided by your ISP, which you put in your bandwidth, so you can adjust the other tick boxes depending if your over or under 100mbs.

As I said I just leave it alone and I haven't noticed any difference during peak times.

I suppose if you have other people using devices in your household that may make a difference, but the congestion control should equal it out.

Anyway I hope you find the "sweet spot"

If your speeds are dropping from 60 to 20 on a night have you ran ping plotter or the duma net diags? while this is happening to make sure your isp is having congestion issue's in your area as this will affect your ping.

Or is this other people on your network using the internet for streaming etc?

Netduma would need servers around the world if it had it's own internal speed tester thats the thing.

Not really, you could pretty easily do it without any servers at all. Have a couple of Amazon S3 buckets in various locations around the world, hosting a 50mb test file for download. Clients can test the download of that, and Amazon have huge pipes so you're going to get the best speed. For the upload it's a bit more tricky, but you can just make an unauthenticated bucket that clients can upload to (with a size restriction obviously), and set the objects to expire immediately. You could host the whole thing for free thanks to AWS's very generous free tier.

• Netduma Staff

Not really, you could pretty easily do it without any servers at all. Have a couple of Amazon S3 buckets in various locations around the world, hosting a 50mb test file for download. Clients can test the download of that, and Amazon have huge pipes so you're going to get the best speed. For the upload it's a bit more tricky, but you can just make an unauthenticated bucket that clients can upload to (with a size restriction obviously), and set the objects to expire immediately. You could host the whole thing for free thanks to AWS's very generous free tier.

Or you could just use speedtest.net. Not saying it's a bad idea, but it seams like a lot of work to set up to replace a free and effective service that is already working. And it's only free if you are use under a certain cap of bandwidth I believe.

• Administrators

Hello Tom, nice to see you :)

If your speeds are dropping from 60 to 20 on a night have you ran ping plotter or the duma net diags? while this is happening to make sure your isp is having congestion issue's in your area as this will affect your ping.

Or is this other people on your network using the internet for streaming etc?

I'd imagine it'a just heavy bandwidth usage in the house at that time although congestion issues with my isp is also a possibility.

The Duma net diagnostics usually read 'exceptional' on everything bar my ping which it reads as 'good' 9/10.

Saying that, none of this actually effects my online gaming sessions. 

Or you could just use speedtest.net. Not saying it's a bad idea, but it seams like a lot of work to set up to replace a free and effective service that is already working. And it's only free if you are use under a certain cap of bandwidth I believe.

Speedtest.net is a bit rubbish though, and the topic is explicitly about not using it. Other than the initial S3 setup you have to write a pretty basic function to measure the upload and download speed and boosh, you have your own speedtest service built right into the router. Beats having speedtest.net's logo everywhere, you could have yours on the speedtest results instead without the need for their shitty flash widget. As for the pricing it's like $0.02 per GB transferred, so you could service a bucketload of speedtests before it even costs a dollar (plus you get 15Gb free transfer anyway so w/e).

Just putting it out there.

I'd imagine it'a just heavy bandwidth usage in the house at that time although congestion issues with my isp is also a possibility.

The Duma net diagnostics usually read 'exceptional' on everything bar my ping which it reads as 'good' 9/10.

Saying that, none of this actually effects my online gaming sessions. 

Right then just leave your bandwidth at 60 permantly changing when others are using it is counter productive it need's to be total attainable.

Archived