Outside of my house - where does my signal go?

Dillinger

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

You asked for some more pictures. Guess what i got the for you.

Bear in mind that first pictures i shared and those are couple days ago and the cabinet is still open.

http://i.imgur.com/dugSBDl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Wmbq4lS.jpg

Bloody hell, are NTL still in business?? They were the assholes of ISP's when I left the UK in 2006. Kudos to them still being in business, Christ alone knows how as it is evident from your pictures that nothing has changed in regards to quality in the ten tears I've been away. 

• 2 months later...

*Shameless bump*  With so many new members coming on line and learning about networking, some for the first time, you may have some questions that can be addressed in this thread.

Or it could be a complete waste of your time.

You decide.  LOL

• 2 months later...

Well my adsl randomly disconnects mostly during the night. I think it is due to signal interference from external sources as the snr falls during the night. The technician told me thats its a problem with internal wiring of my house as this building is very old. He told me to run a cat6 cable directly from the outside box to the splitter. I have seen improvements in line attenuation and snr level after running cat6 cable. Like before my line attenuation was 36.5 now its 34.5 and my snr was around 22 at best now its around 24.5-25. Hopefully that was the problem. I have not seen any disconnections yet and its almost night time so wish me luck guys. If this keeps going on i will have to switch to fiber optics and im trying to save some money lol.

Well my adsl randomly disconnects mostly during the night. I think it is due to signal interference from external sources as the snr falls during the night. The technician told me thats its a problem with internal wiring of my house as this building is very old. He told me to run a cat6 cable directly from the outside box to the splitter. I have seen improvements in line attenuation and snr level after running cat6 cable. Like before my line attenuation was 36.5 now its 34.5 and my snr was around 22 at best now its around 24.5-25. Hopefully that was the problem. I have not seen any disconnections yet and its almost night time so wish me luck guys. If this keeps going on i will have to switch to fiber optics and im trying to save some money lol.

i believe internal wiring was the issue as it is working fine now. No disconnects so far. 

• 3 weeks later...

So glad I have FTTP connection to my house and Cat5e to my router. I don't know why they didn't run Cat6 maybe because I only ordered 200mbps and they wanted to save money.

I recently bought a new house in the same town and it's already pre-wired with Cat6 so i'll be in great shape once I get a new installation put in which I got scheduled early enough so that it happens literally the day after I close on the house.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that was really interesting. If you have time, I would be really interested in the FTTC and FTTP and DSL (if you know stuff about that) as in the UK, I don't think we have cable for broadband (although I could be wrong). It's so awesome you've taken the time to do this :)

sorry Crossy but we do have fttp in the UK......supplied by Virgin. Cable has been in the UK for about 30 years!

sorry Crossy but we do have fttp in the UK......supplied by Virgin. Cable has been in the UK for about 30 years!

I am also sorry that we have Virgin cable, its killing our lobbies with jitter  ;)

Archived