X1000R IP Forwarding Issues with GeoFilter

Hi,

I've been trying to solve some latency issues with COD: MW2 with 2 consoles. I had QoS on, GeoFiltering on, UPnP on and NAT set to Open. I saw recommendations in another thread to try port forwarding for 3074 on once console and 3075 on another while keeping the internal port set to 3074 for both.

However, I get a Toredo tunnelling error and an unavailable NAT if I do that. If I turn off Geo Filtering, I get an open NAT again. I'm not too sure why this is happening? Any help would be great

1 hour ago, TheJam said:

Hi,

I've been trying to solve some latency issues with COD: MW2 with 2 consoles. I had QoS on, GeoFiltering on, UPnP on and NAT set to Open. I saw recommendations in another thread to try port forwarding for 3074 on once console and 3075 on another while keeping the internal port set to 3074 for both.

However, I get a Toredo tunnelling error and an unavailable NAT if I do that. If I turn off Geo Filtering, I get an open NAT again. I'm not too sure why this is happening? Any help would be great

Have u tried dmz ur network? typically that would solve the issue there a guide etc to have open nat if ur having issues.

https://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

13 hours ago, TheJam said:

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about NAT issues with Geo-filter enabled, it will just be a misreading.

How do you currently have QoS setup? Could you perhaps provide a screenshot? Do you have ALL devices on the network connected to the XR?

The NAT is an issue, I can’t start or join Xbox parties without a network error showing up. 

Both consoles are connected to the XR1000 but there are other devices connected to an Orbi router set to AP mode over ethernet in a different part of the house where WiFi can’t reach. 

I did a test and it seems if I set up a static IP on Xbox, it doesn’t play well with the GeoFilter. I tested it turning off port forwarding with the same issue until I set the IP to be set automatically on the Xbox’s. 

I set the DHCP range from 2-200 with the static IP’s at .201 and .202. Could setting it outside of the DHCP range cause an issue? 

I’ll post screenshots in the next 30 mins or so. I did turn off QoS but it didn’t make a difference to the NAT - tried QoS off with GeoFiltering which didn’t work, tried it on with GeoFiltering which didn’t work. Tried the combo’s on/ off for QoS and both worked with GeoFiltering off. 

17 hours ago, DARKNESS said:

Have u tried dmz ur network? typically that would solve the issue there a guide etc to have open nat if ur having issues.

https://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

I haven’t tried that, I’m concerned about the security of the network doing that - especially with people working from home as well. 

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Reserved IPs should be fine, have you added your friends to the allow list? Check when you do the test if there is anything blocked on the map, if there is add that to the allow list and it should prevent the issue. 

Could you clarify what you mean by the allow list please? I can see his device on the device map but it's not ticked to be blocked and works fine without a static IP. Not sure if there's another option somewhere else you're referring to?

Attached QoS settings:

I've tried with it enabled, on auto, and off. Used the auto-setup for the upload/ download values - went through 8 tests and was quite a difference even just changing a % or two until it got to those values.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 17.27.44.png

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TheJam said:

Could you clarify what you mean by the allow list please? I can see his device on the device map but it's not ticked to be blocked and works fine without a static IP. Not sure if there's another option somewhere else you're referring to?

Ah so it's actually a problem creating a party another console on your own network? Are both devices added to the Geo-Filter or just the one hosting? Does the other device appear on the Geo-Filter Map when you try to add it to the party?

Yeah, I didn't even try getting into a game after that, I figured if the party chat wasn't working it was probably gubbed. Both devices are added to the Geo-Filter. Only noticed one device showing on the Geo-Filter map but could be 2 of the same icon overlapping. I do notice a client device always pings up in the very south of the UK while its searching for games, which is quite far from where I am in the UK, but assume that was game related.

One issue I did notice is that I added the two consoles to the Geo-Filter before setting up the static IP's when it wasn't working. Noticed one of consoles was showing twice on the device list for the Geo-Filter afterwards when only one with that name was actually on the device list. It's a renamed Xbox so the device name should be unique to that Xbox. I had to rename it in the device list on the router to differentiate it and remove the original one from the Geo-Filter which was set up - not sure if I've possibly came across a bug that's now causing issues.

One last point, I noticed that the xbox assigns a port number in the network settings for each console. I have one where the xbox assigns the console to the port 3074 automatically and the other xbox assigns it a port number of 56580 or something similar to that, not sure if I need to forward the port the random one it assigns to the other console as well? I assume that UPnP should handle it but might be wrong assuming that.

First time setting up port forwarding so not sure unfortunately. I did a factory reset and decided to set that up as well as everything else as COD hit detection had been not good over a few days but might need to reset it again. I'll port forward the other port the xbox has assigned itself first and take it from there.

Thanks very much for the replies!

Set my DHCP to the default ranges again and set up IP Address Reservation instead for my xbox. Getting moderate NAT now so seems like that was one issue. I'm sure I've set up static IP's outside the DHCP range before with no issues but maybe I'm being a bit stupid with this one.

So now I have Open NAT after resetting everything but still disconnecting from Party chat. I ran a network test on my Xbox and it's saying I have 100% Packet Loss - totally puzzled what's going on with this.

I managed to sort the issue out after restarting everything and using IP Address Reservation instead of a static IP - set it on the Xbox as well as I came across an issue where the Xbox assigned an internal IP address automatically rather that getting one assigned by DHCP.

Did a lot of trial and error today and it seems if the Xbox stays on port 3074, it’s fine but it seems to change after a random amount of time and I notice considerable issues playing Call of Duty with time to kill and time to death. I have to keep going into my Xbox settings to switch to a random manual port and then back to automatic which chooses 3074 again but doesn’t stick. It’s really noticeable how much the game changes when this happens. 

If I use port forwarding rules for the IP for 3074, it will show it in automatic for about 10s before changing to a random 5***** number and won’t stay at 3074 no matter what I do. 

From doing some research, it seems UPnP is responsible. Any way to workaround this?

I disabled UPnP, manually port forwarded all Xbox ports to one console - left the other one off for now just to test. 

NAT type is Open which is good but the port on the Xbox won’t stay at 3074, it always switched to an alternative port. It’ll stay at 3074 on the Xbox for about 10 - 20s before changing to a random one. Wish you could just manually select 3074 rather than only being able to select it by setting the port to automatic, quite annoying. 

No, I’m just on the latest Xbox firmware, same with the XR1000. Bit of a nightmare trying to play 2 Xbox’s on the same network without a good bit of latency being added. 

Any news on HybridVPN coming to the XR1000? I heard that can help latency issues with multiple consoles using the same network - have one on VPN and another on the network normally. Feel like the only way it’s gonna get resolved at this point is hoping VPN works or getting an additional line into the house which I hope I won’t have to do 🤦🏻‍♂️

Could this be an issue with the XR1000’s implementation of UPnP causing issues? Looking online, it seems like some routers work fine with sticking to port 3074 and others don’t.

I don’t really understand why port forwarding 3074 to one and 3075 to the other doesn’t keep them on those ports?