X1000R IP Forwarding Issues with GeoFilter

• Administrators

Well that's the thing, if you assume it is UPnP on the router causing the issue then port forwarding would almost certainly work - the fact that the console instantly switches the port back seems strange to me - I would expect it would say that it's done it to prevent a port conflict if it was intended behavior. You could try port triggering instead and see if that works.

Thanks for that, I’ll give port forwarding another go and then test our port triggering and see what I get.

I was on the Netgear page today just looking at the various articles they have on the XR1000 just in case there was something I was missing. 

I came across this page (https://kb.netgear.com/24290/How-do-I-add-a-custom-port-forwarding-service-on-my-NETGEAR-router?language=en_US) which states the order in the Port Forwarding table is important as it scans the top entry first and works its way down. Even though it’s an article that links from the XR1000 support page, it seems like a generic one that probably goes across multiple Netgear routers. 

If that is the case with the order of ports, would it be possible to add the ability to reorganise the port table? I believe at the moment it orders the table in order of last modified.

Could that be a possible factor with port forwarding not quite working as expected? 

Seems like the Geo Filter issue is linked to some servers not being whitelisted as discussed in another thread here and Geo Filter blocking them so happy that issue should be resolved after that now. Would explain the intermittent issues with NAT I’ve been having lately and why it works when turning it off. I thought I came across a router bug but persisted after a factory reset. I didn’t realise there was a whitelist for servers as part of it (which 100% makes sense) but good to know in future if I come across this issue again - will just report it on a thread here. 

Update: my last reply was when I tested this issue on one Xbox and it worked ok but when you have 2, both end up with Strict NAT issues with GeoFilter on. As soon as one toggles off it gets Open, the other stays on Strict, when I turn off the other it becomes Open again. 

It says it can’t resolve a Toredo IP Address with it on so seems like something gets blocked still. 

Not sure if it’s worth a test for the dev’s on your side with 2 consoles on with Geo Filter turned on as 1 console seems ok. 

I haven't had time to check this yet but will reply as soon as I do. Netgear raised an RMA for various issues I highlighted so I'll see if a replacement fixes any of the issues too.

For NAT related issues, would it be worth using IPv6? I currently have this disabled but seen mixed results with people enabling it to sort out Xbox related NAT issues?

13 hours ago, TheJam said:

I haven't had time to check this yet but will reply as soon as I do. Netgear raised an RMA for various issues I highlighted so I'll see if a replacement fixes any of the issues too.

For NAT related issues, would it be worth using IPv6? I currently have this disabled but seen mixed results with people enabling it to sort out Xbox related NAT issues?

You could certainly give it a try yes, in theory IPv6 should resolve your issues!

Playing tonight and the Geo Filter isn't picking up any servers at all on the map. Can see Traffic Prioritisation picking up Duma Classified games though. Tried restarting the Xbox and no luck with it. Still ongoing issues with Geo Filter at the moment?

I tried UK, Europe and the US to experiment with no luck. 

13 hours ago, TheJam said:

Playing tonight and the Geo Filter isn't picking up any servers at all on the map. Can see Traffic Prioritisation picking up Duma Classified games though. Tried restarting the Xbox and no luck with it. Still ongoing issues with Geo Filter at the moment?

I tried UK, Europe and the US to experiment with no luck. 

Interesting, did you check with IPv6 enabled and disabled? If not, can you disable IPv6 again and re-test?

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Interesting, did you check with IPv6 enabled and disabled? If not, can you disable IPv6 again and re-test?

I haven’t enabled IPv6 just yet, still on my same setup with no changes. 

• Administrators

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers @Netduma Fraser, Netgear actually sent out a new router as I raised a support request and the new one seems to be fine. Set up IPv6 today and my xbox is showing as IPv4 & IPv6 with addresses for both which seems to mean its enabled according to the xbox support docs. I'm not actually sure how to check if it's properly working ok on the router though, is there a guide anywhere for validating IPv6 on devices? Seems like all devices have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses so I assume it's up to the device what it uses?

Only asking as in my MW2 network settings in-game, it shows my internal IP address as an IPv4 one which I would've assumed would show as an IPv6 address.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, TheJam said:

Cheers @Netduma Fraser, Netgear actually sent out a new router as I raised a support request and the new one seems to be fine. Set up IPv6 today and my xbox is showing as IPv4 & IPv6 with addresses for both which seems to mean its enabled according to the xbox support docs. I'm not actually sure how to check if it's properly working ok on the router though, is there a guide anywhere for validating IPv6 on devices? Seems like all devices have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses so I assume it's up to the device what it uses?

Only asking as in my MW2 network settings in-game, it shows my internal IP address as an IPv4 one which I would've assumed would show as an IPv6 address.

Ahh that's brilliant to hear - a device doesn't need to have a LAN IPv6 address to make use of your public IPv6 address so if you do my ip into Google and you get IPv6 then you're all good.