XR700 just quit🤷‍♂️

Last night while using the cpu and kids doing their normal stuff the wifi just suddenly stopped. I thought “here we go again with having to reboot, but whatever.”  Proceeded to reboot the router as I always do by turning it off, waiting a min or 2 and then plugging it back in thinking life would go on as it has throughout the countless times i’ve had to reboot since buying. NOPE.

Went ahead and rebooted once again and still no wifi. I couldnt even login to the router to see if the wifi was disabled or something. All you could tell is that the 2.4 and 5 ghz lights werent flashing so I knew there was no wifi broadcasting. 

NOW before anyone says ‘this is all over the forums’, blah blah…I have been reading since last night trying to figure this out and I saw alot of ppl said it’s hardware and I think I came across one post where the person got it working (if only for a brief while). 

what I have tried….(1.) obviously rebooting. (2.) Tried the 30-30-30 (that basically seemed to brick it) only way I could get it to function again at all was to do the next step below…
(3)Tried the reset where I hold in the button on the back for 7 secs and let it go (that has been the only thing that has gotten some sort of life cuz I can get thru the setup steps at least only to see ‘dumaos not loaded yet’. (4.)cant remember exactly but did something in one post where it was suggested to unplug it for at least 10 mins and proceed (5.) downgraded all the way to 1.0.0.20 by 30-30-30’ing it to get it good and seemingly bricked and then it took the update using tftpd. Was finally able to get it to show a sign of life only to tell me that my login credentials were wrong and then proceeded to tell me my recovery answers were wrong. After doing the 7 second reset button twice more it finally went thru the setup AGAIN only tell me dumaos not yet loaded. 

By the way…the only thing I can get is wired internet which I have of course read that many have said its likely hardware but I cant even login to see if the software turned off wifi or something to be absolutely sure. Also forgot to mention that since downgrading and finally getting thru the setup it runs thru and says checking for update (of course theres the latest update) but then it just fails to update for whatever reason (i forget).

I only came in to try one last time to ask for help as I went thru 2 xr500’s within a week when I first got it and still like an optimistic dummy gave the xr700 a shot hoping it was better and it had been overall (I wont lie)…and cuz I wanted to love dumaos which we all know 3.0 at this point is never coming out for the xr700 but if I cant be saved I guess me and the netgear/duma and dumaos express are done. 2 years later and $400 now sitting worthless just isnt good business or a good quality product. So I ask for any help at all. Thanks

• Administrators

Don't do a 30/30/30 update, it can damage the router so isn't recommended, also a 7 second reset won't be resetting it, it will just be rebooting. Reinstall the latest firmware using TFTP, wait 5 minutes once you've done that, hold the reset button for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then attempt access.

@Chinwabeeu know that u have a physical button on the right hand side of the flashing lights (on the front of the router) to turn wifi on/off, try turning wifi on/off with this small button always been working on my XR700.

Ye and XR700 definitely needs a big update to come for it. 

First, thanks guys for trying to help. My bad on doing the 30-30-30…didnt know and nothing else was working so reading and reading since last night had me trying anything I found. but I will proceed to try updating to the latest in just a sec and do the 30 reset and wait 2 mins. Im not optimistic but will will certainly try it. 

Second, yes I do realize that mobel and I have tried that button numerous times already but no one ever touched it as the router just hangs on the wall behind my desk when all of this randomly happened. 

Gut feeling is that the router wifi antennas/radio or whatever just quit and are done but I just want to be able to login to the darn thing to see. 

I shall report back…

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Don't do a 30/30/30 update, it can damage the router so isn't recommended, also a 7 second reset won't be resetting it, it will just be rebooting. Reinstall the latest firmware using TFTP, wait 5 minutes once you've done that, hold the reset button for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then attempt access.

Ok so I did everything you said. I am back on the current version of firmware at 1.0.1.50. I waited at least 5 mins before using my trusty paperclip to hold the reset button for 30 secs. Waited a couple mins and was able to once again go thru the initial setup process of setting my login pword, having the router test my internet speed, setting my security questions and finally naming my network and setting the network password. And then it said no update obviously as im on the current version and then hitting next has brought me to the gray page inside the red dumaos border that says “www.netgear.com refused to connect”. Once I hit next the sign in box pops up and i enter admin followed by my pword and im met with the ever so familiar “dumaos not loaded yet, dont worry we will redirect you shortly”.

Thats as far as i’ve managed to get since last night in everything i have tried. The wifi lights on the front still arent flashing of course and i cant login any further. 

Forgot to add that I cleared all my browser data before logging in as well as I read that many of times. 

• Administrators

Go to routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm this should load NG settings without DumaOS, from there go to Advanced WiFi Settings, disable WiFi, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes, re-access using the same link, enable WiFi, apply, reboot from the interface and wait 2 minutes. Then see whether it loads correctly using the normal URL and if the WiFi now starts appearing.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Go to routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm this should load NG settings without DumaOS, from there go to Advanced WiFi Settings, disable WiFi, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes, re-access using the same link, enable WiFi, apply, reboot from the interface and wait 2 minutes. Then see whether it loads correctly using the normal URL and if the WiFi now starts appearing.

Did everything listed above. I was able to actually login to the router using that method which i hadnt previously tried but i’m guessing would’ve worked. Still no dice however

I just got the chance to do the downgrade from the UI to 1.0.1.36 and rebooted from the interface, waited a couple mins, cleared all my browser data and then tried to login with the index.htm way (which i was of course able to) but was still unable to login to dumaos or any other way and just get the message that dumaos hasnt loaded yet. Still no wifi broadcasting. Pretty sure its just curtains for this router. 

I would just love to know how all of a sudden out of nowhere it quits with the wifi (parts fail at any given moment, i get that) but then it seems as if it has a software issue or something where it cant even get dumaos running. Quite the letdown this router is. 

8 hours ago, Chinwabee said:

I just got the chance to do the downgrade from the UI to 1.0.1.36 and rebooted from the interface, waited a couple mins, cleared all my browser data and then tried to login with the index.htm way (which i was of course able to) but was still unable to login to dumaos or any other way and just get the message that dumaos hasnt loaded yet. Still no wifi broadcasting. Pretty sure its just curtains for this router. 

I would just love to know how all of a sudden out of nowhere it quits with the wifi (parts fail at any given moment, i get that) but then it seems as if it has a software issue or something where it cant even get dumaos running. Quite the letdown this router is. 

Since doing the upgrade, can you please factory reset the XR700 again and see if you can access DumaOS after that?

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Since doing the upgrade, can you please factory reset the XR700 again and see if you can access DumaOS after that?

Can you tell me exactly how to do that because honestly im not an expert on the router and how to do everything in terms of hold down the reset button for this long to do this and hold it down for this long to do that. Or do I just do it from inside the UI. Thanks

Last night out of boredom and frustration messing with it I logged in and reset/deleted all the settings back to factory using the button to do so inside and of course nothing changed.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Chinwabee said:

Can you tell me exactly how to do that because honestly im not an expert on the router and how to do everything in terms of hold down the reset button for this long to do this and hold it down for this long to do that. Or do I just do it from inside the UI. Thanks

Last night out of boredom and frustration messing with it I logged in and reset/deleted all the settings back to factory using the button to do so inside and of course nothing changed.

Hold the reset button for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then attempt access

@Chinwabeeu should try to not get access to the router for like 10-15 minutes after the update/reset try also that no devices will connect to it wired and wireless (let it boot up properly) maybe there is a small thing wrong somewhere in the boot up process.

First…Sincerely thanks to all 3 of you for trying to help me out with this.

I came home and tried resetting by holding down the button for 30 secs and waited several mins before trying to login. No go on dumaos or wifi. I can only get in thru the non duma way and i still just got the dumaos not yet loaded otherwise.

Then i went and turned off both radios again and reset the router and waited again to login and set it up. Still no go

Then I tried upgrading from 1.0.1.20 to 1.0.1.36 again and waited a bit (had to be at least 20-25 mins) and with nothing plugged in after it had upgraded. Then I just power cycled it with about 10 mins or so of unplugged time. Turned it back on and set it up and u guessed it, no go. 

Its just real weird how i cant get into dumaos at least at this point…wifi or not. 

8 hours ago, Chinwabee said:

First…Sincerely thanks to all 3 of you for trying to help me out with this.

I came home and tried resetting by holding down the button for 30 secs and waited several mins before trying to login. No go on dumaos or wifi. I can only get in thru the non duma way and i still just got the dumaos not yet loaded otherwise.

Then i went and turned off both radios again and reset the router and waited again to login and set it up. Still no go

Then I tried upgrading from 1.0.1.20 to 1.0.1.36 again and waited a bit (had to be at least 20-25 mins) and with nothing plugged in after it had upgraded. Then I just power cycled it with about 10 mins or so of unplugged time. Turned it back on and set it up and u guessed it, no go. 

Its just real weird how i cant get into dumaos at least at this point…wifi or not. 

That's really odd. Perhaps if the above firmware linked doesn't help, you could try reaching out to NETGEAR support directly at support.netgear.com and see if they're able to find out why it's not starting up DumaOS properly.

Sounds like it’s hardware. Seen it before where the WiFi dies on the R9000 which is what the XR700 is based on and I’ve seen users trying all sorts from installing third party firmware to erasing the NG info.

Unfortunately the WiFi is probably dead and no firmware will help. Sounds like corruption in memory if you can’t log in which can happen or there’s a hardware issue which is where some attempt to install above or wipe the NG code section.

There are forums that run through deleting and installing firmware but it’s not supported here and with 99% of time it never fixes the issue.

personally I would think it’s time to replace the router sadly. Yes I know it’s only 2 years old, here in the U.K. you could argue the fact that it’s life expectancy was below what’s expected but even then as it’s no longer produced you might not get a replacement of the same model.