Firmware 3.2 for XR500

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing around with settings and things, and I've come to the conclusion that somethings wrong with adding a priority rule with the normal default (ethernet) option. I've tried many different cables cat 5 cat 6 cat 7 cat 8. No matter what I do I get worse connectivity while playing. However when I set a priority rule for wifi or (gaming/voice) option I get an extremely stable connection. I thought ethernet wired was supposed to be better. While wired I get packet loss packet burst, bad hit reg, etc. Wifi none at all its really mind boggling. Is there any way to see why playing wired it degrades my connection? I'm on PS5 with the xr500.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, JasonKnight said:

Been playing around with settings and things, and I've come to the conclusion that somethings wrong with adding a priority rule with the normal default (ethernet) option. I've tried many different cables cat 5 cat 6 cat 7 cat 8. No matter what I do I get worse connectivity while playing. However when I set a priority rule for wifi or (gaming/voice) option I get an extremely stable connection. I thought ethernet wired was supposed to be better. While wired I get packet loss packet burst, bad hit reg, etc. Wifi none at all its really mind boggling. Is there any way to see why playing wired it degrades my connection? I'm on PS5 with the xr500.

Where are you seeing the packet loss etc in game or elsewhere? What is the rule you've made for it specifically?

• 3 weeks later...

Im seeing packet loss in game. The only rule im currently using is the default netduma games rule. Ive tried it with both upnp by itself and with default dmz by itself. I've also created a rule for ps5 as a gaming console under default normal and default normal apply to wan with upnp by itself, and with dmz by itself. I've changed cabling as I have cat 5 6 7 8 and multiple types and brands. Always wired gets worse performance. However when I use the default duma classified games while playing my ps5 in wifi I get a better stable connection. Used to not be like that a few firmwares ago.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JasonKnight said:

Im seeing packet loss in game. The only rule im currently using is the default netduma games rule. Ive tried it with both upnp by itself and with default dmz by itself. I've also created a rule for ps5 as a gaming console under default normal and default normal apply to wan with upnp by itself, and with dmz by itself. I've changed cabling as I have cat 5 6 7 8 and multiple types and brands. Always wired gets worse performance. However when I use the default duma classified games while playing my ps5 in wifi I get a better stable connection. Used to not be like that a few firmwares ago.

How much packet loss is it showing? What are your Congestion Control settings? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and are ALL devices connected to the XR?

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How much packet loss is it showing? What are your Congestion Control settings? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and are ALL devices connected to the XR?

I'm on the PS5. Congestion Control settings are 70 percent for both download and upload (the basic recommendation), share excess for download and upload are both on. I've used both device and application options for bandwidth allocation. All devices are connected directly to the Xr500. In terms of packet loss in Fortnite i get a yellow x and other times I get a red x. In MW2 i get packet loss percentages that vary depending the match. My modem is Virgin media hub 5 and I have it set to modem only mode.currently running dmz as upnp makes the packet loss issues more frequent. I also have set my ps5 to a static Ip. As for qos I'm currently running just duma classified games no special rules.

Note I rarely get a yellow or red X while playing wireless, really occurs heavily when i'm wired. I've already tried multiple different cat rated cords from 5-8 and i have several brands between all of them. I've also tried different Ethernet ports on the Xr500. Also when wired i notice my bandwidth speeds are lower when I do a speed test on the ps5 in comparison to when I'm playin wireless. 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, JasonKnight said:

I'm on the PS5. Congestion Control settings are 70 percent for both download and upload (the basic recommendation), share excess for download and upload are both on. I've used both device and application options for bandwidth allocation. All devices are connected directly to the Xr500. In terms of packet loss in Fortnite i get a yellow x and other times I get a red x. In MW2 i get packet loss percentages that vary depending the match. My modem is Virgin media hub 5 and I have it set to modem only mode.currently running dmz as upnp makes the packet loss issues more frequent. I also have set my ps5 to a static Ip. As for qos I'm currently running just duma classified games no special rules.

Note I rarely get a yellow or red X while playing wireless, really occurs heavily when i'm wired. I've already tried multiple different cat rated cords from 5-8 and i have several brands between all of them. I've also tried different Ethernet ports on the Xr500. Also when wired i notice my bandwidth speeds are lower when I do a speed test on the ps5 in comparison to when I'm playin wireless. 

Could you provide a screenshot of a completed Connection Benchmark test please? Have you experimented with the Congestion Control percentages? 70% is the recommended starting point but may not be the best value for you. You can leave Bandwidth Allocation at their defaults, just reset the allocation.

Would suggest setting the VM to router mode with the XR in its' DMZ, I found with my VM hub that modem mode was a little unreliable. 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you provide a screenshot of a completed Connection Benchmark test please? Have you experimented with the Congestion Control percentages? 70% is the recommended starting point but may not be the best value for you. You can leave Bandwidth Allocation at their defaults, just reset the allocation.

Would suggest setting the VM to router mode with the XR in its' DMZ, I found with my VM hub that modem mode was a little unreliable. 

Yes I've played around with the percentages. 70 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I'll also provide a benchmark screenshot when I get from work.

Also I'll try putting my media hub back into router mode and place the xr500 in the media hubs dmz. One question is if I put my xr500 under the media hubs dmz, would that negatively effect the dmz settings I've already set on the xr500?

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, JasonKnight said:

Yes I've played around with the percentages. 70 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I'll also provide a benchmark screenshot when I get from work.

Also I'll try putting my media hub back into router mode and place the xr500 in the media hubs dmz. One question is if I put my xr500 under the media hubs dmz, would that negatively effect the dmz settings I've already set on the xr500?

No basically the DMZ passes all traffic through to the device you place there so on the VM it'll pass all traffic through to the XR which is what you want and then from the XR to the console. You may be thinking that may then negatively affect devices on the XR with the console in the DMZ but I haven't seen that be the case in reality.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:17 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

No basically the DMZ passes all traffic through to the device you place there so on the VM it'll pass all traffic through to the XR which is what you want and then from the XR to the console. You may be thinking that may then negatively affect devices on the XR with the console in the DMZ but I haven't seen that be the case in reality.

Here's a screenshot of my connection benchmark

20230922_013150.thumb.jpg.992b687095cc46aade9b150e24098242.jpg

• Administrators
14 hours ago, JasonKnight said:

Here's a screenshot of my connection benchmark

Ping Under Load at that rating would indicate that QoS needs to be fine tuned some more. It's best to start with a high value for Congestion Control, say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

On 9/22/2023 at 3:37 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Ping Under Load at that rating would indicate that QoS needs to be fine tuned some more. It's best to start with a high value for Congestion Control, say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

20230924_163954.thumb.jpg.d175e3bea9c8348159f5c57988333d70.jpg

Ive adjusted my values, i seem to have to lower my upload all the way down to 20 percent to get an A rating on the network benchmark test. 

I have another question, I Play on the PS5. If I were to set my ps5 as a games console vs being a PS5 under the device manager would that negatively effect the packet traffic/performance. Or if I would set my phone to thermostat on the device manager would that make its packets have lower priority?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JasonKnight said:

Ive adjusted my values, i seem to have to lower my upload all the way down to 20 percent to get an A rating on the network benchmark test. 

I have another question, I Play on the PS5. If I were to set my ps5 as a games console vs being a PS5 under the device manager would that negatively effect the packet traffic/performance. Or if I would set my phone to thermostat on the device manager would that make its packets have lower priority?

What percentage intervals did you try? Upload isn't looking much better - are you doing the tests with it set to Always?

There is definitely no functional benefit for you doing that but no it shouldn't negatively impact you either.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What percentage intervals did you try? Upload isn't looking much better - are you doing the tests with it set to Always?

There is definitely no functional benefit for you doing that but no it shouldn't negatively impact you either.

So I started with increments of 10, each time running the test. I saw that each time the upload seemed to be the culprit,so i decided to keep reducing that until i got a decent test rating. My tests were done with auto detect on.

hi fraser in this day i have little issues with my XR500, its like taking some seconds to connect internet, gaming its fine, but when i want load a youtube video or something like that it takes some seconds, it's like when internet disconnects... my version is V2.3.2.134.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, JasonKnight said:

So I started with increments of 10, each time running the test. I saw that each time the upload seemed to be the culprit,so i decided to keep reducing that until i got a decent test rating. My tests were done with auto detect on.

You'll need to do it with Always set otherwise it won't be reflected in the test, do it in 10% intervals as you did then when you get to a value that seems to work more than most try 5% either side of that to see if it can be further improved.

29 minutes ago, imtired97 said:

hi fraser in this day i have little issues with my XR500, its like taking some seconds to connect internet, gaming its fine, but when i want load a youtube video or something like that it takes some seconds, it's like when internet disconnects... my version is V2.3.2.134.

What are your internet speeds?

You'll need to do it with Always set otherwise it won't be reflected in the test, do it in 10% intervals as you did then when you get to a value that seems to work more than most try 5% either side of that to see if it can be further improved.

What are your internet speeds?

I’m getting D results in test, with packet loss at ping test too, idk what happening, it happens in some days in the night, maybe it’s an ISP problem Idk, I have 1gb up and down btw

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, imtired97 said:

I’m getting D results in test, with packet loss at ping test too, idk what happening, it happens in some days in the night, maybe it’s an ISP problem Idk, I have 1gb up and down btw

If you're getting packet loss on the Ping Test that indicates an ISP issue or you don't have very good routing to the Google servers which is used for that test. Do you experience packet loss anywhere else?

26 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you're getting packet loss on the Ping Test that indicates an ISP issue or you don't have very good routing to the Google servers which is used for that test. Do you experience packet loss anywhere else?

In game, I was playing fifa and the server disconnected, now I’m trying to do a speed test but it takes minutes to start then shows errors on the page. It’s like my internet has micro disconnections and reconnects. I will try connect directly to my isp modem.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, imtired97 said:

In game, I was playing fifa and the server disconnected, now I’m trying to do a speed test but it takes minutes to start then shows errors on the page. It’s like my internet has micro disconnections and reconnects. I will try connect directly to my isp modem.

I think that's a good idea, that will tell us where the issue is, monitor it over a few days to be sure

On 9/25/2023 at 1:00 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I think that's a good idea, that will tell us where the issue is, monitor it over a few days to be sure

Update: I tried to change dns from ISP to google DNS and seems to be all fine. I’ve seen on the forum that all uses CLOUDFLARE dns, I’m from Italy what do you suggest for the best speed?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, imtired97 said:

Update: I tried to change dns from ISP to google DNS and seems to be all fine. I’ve seen on the forum that all uses CLOUDFLARE dns, I’m from Italy what do you suggest for the best speed?

That's great to hear! You could use something like this: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm to find the DNS that is the fastest for you/your connection.

On 9/26/2023 at 4:07 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great to hear! You could use something like this: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm to find the DNS that is the fastest for you/your connection.

ok seems to be cloudflare is the fastest dns, i ve to put only in the duma os page or i need to change in connection settings in my gaming rig?

• Administrators
21 hours ago, imtired97 said:

ok seems to be cloudflare is the fastest dns, i ve to put only in the duma os page or i need to change in connection settings in my gaming rig?

You only need to enter it on the router, your PC will use the DNS set on the router