Something very important for the future of the brand

Hello good, as you know you are the owner of both a Netduma R1 and R2 and they really are incredibly good. But it lacks one very important thing compared to its competitors to be truly relevant and that is the ability to translate DumaOS natively. Especially Spanish since it is the second most used language and that would significantly increase sales since I have many acquaintances who do not buy it since it is all in English. I hope I can inspire you with my ideas.

Greetings

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, LARRIIX said:

Hello good, as you know you are the owner of both a Netduma R1 and R2 and they really are incredibly good. But it lacks one very important thing compared to its competitors to be truly relevant and that is the ability to translate DumaOS natively. Especially Spanish since it is the second most used language and that would significantly increase sales since I have many acquaintances who do not buy it since it is all in English. I hope I can inspire you with my ideas.

Greetings

This is something we have wanted to do for a very long time, unfortunately getting it translated is very expensive. If we can do it we will definitely do so!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Perhaps you could introduce a file in later products that is replaceable. Then set up a community open-source project on this forum to allow users to translate - making very clear that you guys are not responsible for miss-translations. I am certain  that this is something enthusiasts would do.

• Administrators
On 12/21/2022 at 11:36 AM, Harley said:

Perhaps you could introduce a file in later products that is replaceable. Then set up a community open-source project on this forum to allow users to translate - making very clear that you guys are not responsible for miss-translations. I am certain  that this is something enthusiasts would do.

That is a good idea, we would then have to verify the accuracy of the translations though as any incorrect translations wouldn't be professional. I'll float it to the team though!

On 12/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That is a good idea, we would then have to verify the accuracy of the translations though as any incorrect translations wouldn't be professional. I'll float it to the team though!

Not if they can install the file themselves. You wouldn't have to do anything.

• 1 month later...

Allowing custom language files is really interesting. If it reads the text fields from a JSON config file which we could overwrite, share, and apply, that would be pretty cool. 

I’d be happy to create a webpage with a UI to do that which isn’t affiliated with Netduma and have a disclaimer saying so - so people could type what they want for those fields and export it. 

Could set up a subreddit for language files if you guys didn’t want it shared directly on the forums. 

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'll talk to the team again about this as it's definitely an interesting one - I don't think we could do it on the NG routers but perhaps our own!

It’s already on the Netgear ones, was just saying you could use the same text they use for different languages if translation was the issue, or they might use an API to do automatic translation to different languages. 

9 hours ago, TheJam said:

It’s already on the Netgear ones, was just saying you could use the same text they use for different languages if translation was the issue, or they might use an API to do automatic translation to different languages. 

We'll look into it with the team, thanks for showing your interest!