R2 Router keeps losing ISP connection

SPECTRUM

Hey all,

I created this topic last week (21st) https://forum.netduma.com/topic/39269-geographical-region-not-matching-with-vpn-configuration/ and I have been running into more trouble.
Because of the issues stated in the previous topic, I had to fully factory reset both ISP and R2 Routers.
So then I wanted to start all over by putting my ISP Router in the bridge-modus to avoid having 2 DHCP releases and only causing more issues.
I have done that a few hours earlier today and I am facing issues with getting a stable connection with my R2 router, it keeps disconnecting every 2-3 minutes.
So what I have tried:

Called my ISP to check if the bridge-mode is working correctly
Moved locations (using difference UTP cables and power source)
Resetting my R2 by powering it off for 10 min, then reset it after 2 min by holding the reset button for 30 seconds
Manually try to set-up connection so that I can access my NetDuma OS, but it keeps disconnecting

Latest firmware is installed on the R2.

Currently I am stuck with a R2 router that keeps disconnecting from my ISP every 2-3 minutes and I am out of options.
Question is, can I keep my ISP in brigde mode to get this resolved? Or do I need to get it back out of bridge modus?

Thanks (again) for assisting me.. 

SPECTRUM

I am actually baffled right now.

I left my R2 Router on for 10-15 min and then decided to plug the cable which is connected to my ISP Router which has bridge-mode enabled.
And after a few minutes, WiFi started to work again and is stable for over 10+ minutes now.. After that I connected my main PC again and noticed a lot if IPV6 entries.. and with a lot I can see 5... which some says they expired in June 2158.. not sure if that is a good thing to see?

Can anyone explain this miracle by any chance? I have been trying to fix this for 4 hours and I was actually giving up hope..

• Administrators

Sometimes modems/routers can be particular about the order in which they're booted, what you have done may have satisfied that, in which case it should be stable now but let us know. 

Does your connection utilize IPv6 at all? Can you provide a screenshot of the expiring entry?

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sometimes modems/routers can be particular about the order in which they're booted, what you have done may have satisfied that, in which case it should be stable now but let us know. 

Does your connection utilize IPv6 at all? Can you provide a screenshot of the expiring entry?

Apparently indeed, glad I found that after 4 hours...
Here are the all the Obtained and Releases:

IPV64.PNG

IPV63.PNG

IPV62.PNG

IPV61.PNG

Weird thing is, I am currently using a "Temporary IPV6" if I compare the MAC in the ipconfig/all and device manager..
Which is obtained today 16:27 and will expired 30-04 2022 at 04:27, which makes send if it is set to 16 hours by default right?

More curious if this will not break anything in the near future or do I have to renew / release some?

• Administrators

Interesting, as there are no DHCP options for IPv6 on the router it's hard to know when the lease would actually end, it's possible the devs made it never expire essentially, we do have some IPv6 fixes though coming in the next firmware. It shouldn't cause you any issues for the moment.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting, as there are no DHCP options for IPv6 on the router it's hard to know when the lease would actually end, it's possible the devs made it never expire essentially, we do have some IPv6 fixes though coming in the next firmware. It shouldn't cause you any issues for the moment.

I think we spoke to soon, played one game on my console with my PC on, and after the game all my LAN connections disconnected but WiFi connected stayed online.
I obtained the system log if that maybe helps in finding the issue? But I think it is still because of the numerous IPV6 addresses? Is it needed or can this be disabled?

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that would be helpful thank you, it's unlikely to be IPv6 but you can absolutely disable it and see if it is any more stable.

Might do that, weirdly now that I have powered off my PC, I am playing 2 games of warzone on my console without any issues.

log-1651257349314.txt

• Administrators

Set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that resolves the issue please if it happens again

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that resolves the issue please if it happens again

Done, also disabled IPv6 both on the Router and on my main PC, I now only get a clear list of only IPv4 information and no IPv6 info.
I will test this tomorrow and will update this post.

Thanks for all the help so far, Fraser - much appreciated! 

• 3 weeks later...

I am back.. and it has been all over the place lately.. my Netduma R2 router keeps losing my ISP connection every 4/6 hours.. but this weekend it kept up for 3 days straight.. not sure but I got the logs from my disconnect from today, anything you guys can see or help?

I have gave my devices a fixed IP outside of the DHCP
I've put my DHCP release from 16 to 64

Thanks..

log-1652782987431.txt

11 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

I am back.. and it has been all over the place lately.. my Netduma R2 router keeps losing my ISP connection every 4/6 hours.. but this weekend it kept up for 3 days straight.. not sure but I got the logs from my disconnect from today, anything you guys can see or help?

I have gave my devices a fixed IP outside of the DHCP
I've put my DHCP release from 16 to 64

Thanks..

log-1652782987431.txt 70.22 kB · 0 downloads

Those logs don't cover a huge amount of time unfortunately, so they don't tell us too much.

Are you able to access the DumaOS front-end when it disconnects?

Does the connection eventually restore itself or do you need manually reboot it?

20 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Those logs don't cover a huge amount of time unfortunately, so they don't tell us too much.

Are you able to access the DumaOS front-end when it disconnects?

Does the connection eventually restore itself or do you need manually reboot it?

I noticed the logs are only there after I reboot the whole router.
I am able to party connect to it via my laptop using the WiFi connection, but the connection then temporary restores for a min maybe and then loses the ISP connection again..
To get it fully working again, I have to disconnect both power and ethernet, wait for 2-3 min, then put the power cable back in, wait 2-3 min (sometimes I wait even longer) and then the ISP connection and I am good to go again for 4 hours.. 

I will try and get the logs when it disconnects, before I reboot the whole set-up again.. if my math is correct it will disconnect again in approx 2 hours or so..

2 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

I noticed the logs are only there after I reboot the whole router.
I am able to party connect to it via my laptop using the WiFi connection, but the connection then temporary restores for a min maybe and then loses the ISP connection again..
To get it fully working again, I have to disconnect both power and ethernet, wait for 2-3 min, then put the power cable back in, wait 2-3 min (sometimes I wait even longer) and then the ISP connection and I am good to go again for 4 hours.. 

I will try and get the logs when it disconnects, before I reboot the whole set-up again.. if my math is correct it will disconnect again in approx 2 hours or so..

OK please do let us know if you can grab the logs, if not we can also enable some remote logging on your R2 so we'll have a copy of the logs even if it loses power/reboots.

If you'd like to set that up, just enable remote access to tech support from the WAN settings and let us know.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK please do let us know if you can grab the logs, if not we can also enable some remote logging on your R2 so we'll have a copy of the logs even if it loses power/reboots.

If you'd like to set that up, just enable remote access to tech support from the WAN settings and let us know.

I had to manually copy paste the log files while the disconnect kept happening, it is different to the one that you can obtain (as you properly can see).
Hope this helps, if you need more logs and access to the router let me know and I will enable it if the logs are not sufficient

Thanks!

timeofdisconnect.txt log-1652867386930.txt

I'm afraid they still only contain information as the router reboots and nothing on the actual disconnection itself. If you could enabled remote access that'd be great, then we can hopefully find out what's causing the problem.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

I'm afraid they still only contain information as the router reboots and nothing on the actual disconnection itself. If you could enabled remote access that'd be great, then we can hopefully find out what's causing the problem.

Fair enough. If it is just enabling "Allow Remote Access to Tech Support" then it is done (not sure if a reboot is needed). I expect that the disconnect will happen in 30-40 min again, seeing that is the 4 hour mark again - hopefully you can find something.

Okay so a little update. After 4/5 disconnects since my last post made 18 hours ago, it kept disconnecting every 1/2 hours so I had to fully unplug the power cable and re-do the process of power cable, wait 2/3 min, plug the ISP cable back in and if I am correct it will now stay up for at least 4 hours.. 

9 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for doing that, I've configured the remote logging now for you, you may have noticed your router reboot.

Let us know the next time is disconnects and hopefully we can see why.

Aaaah that explains why it rebooted within an hour.. sorry.. can you double check if the settings are still correct to obtain the logs from the router?
I am working from home so hence I caught on to it so fast

2 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

Disconnect between 16:15 / 16:20 CET (Amsterdam) Unplugged ISP cable around 16:20 and plugged back in around 16:22.
Did not touch the power cable or rebooted the router

OK there's some good info in this log, let me pass this over to a developer and get them to look into it. We'll keep you updated.