Issues with Game Optimiser on New Gen 3 Modem

Hi @MuRF, your device pulled down those latest updates today.  I see you had a reboot at about 3pm yesterday, so hopefully thats the last of them.  Do let us know if you notice anything unusual performance or stability wise 🤞, but generally it should just be more stable now.  And being you engage with the interface quite a bit, you might notice Network Monitor being more accurate with things like YouTube, as the updates include additional/and updated streaming & work from home protocol detection.

• 5 weeks later...

@mannrs Just an updated, I am still having dropouts every 3-5 days when using Telstra Optimiser. The update didn't seem to fix my issue. 

I had a drop out this morning for no real reason. The only thing I did was command a google speaker to pause music.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MuRF said:

@mannrs Just an updated, I am still having dropouts every 3-5 days when using Telstra Optimiser. The update didn't seem to fix my issue. 

I had a drop out this morning for no real reason. The only thing I did was command a google speaker to pause music.

I'm just checking with mannrs to see if there is anything on the server side logs that can give us more insight into what might be happening and we'll get back to you.

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm just checking with mannrs to see if there is anything on the server side logs that can give us more insight into what might be happening and we'll get back to you.

Thank you

Hey @MuRF,
Damn - I'd quietly hoped the 3 weeks in between meant it had stabilised for you, sorry to hear otherwise.
Collected some logs but there wasnt anything obvious standing out, getting devs to check over.

The Google speaker, would that have been the first time in a while/for the day you'd interacted with it or atleast instructed it to control that particular sound/device?  It is a notable suspect cause one of the prior issues was around malformed packets being generated from Nest devices.
Do you usually leave the DumaOS interface open in a browser?

Summarising your DumaOS use/setup:
- Network Priority set to congestion control Auto-Enable / 70% / 70%.  Prioritisation enabled for Classified Games, disabled for WFH / Cloud gaming.
- Device Manager, ~30 devices with a WiFi booster
- AdBlocker, disabled
- Network Rules, no rules configured
- Geo-Filter, not configured
- Ping Map, no schedules configured

• Administrators

Hi Murf,

We're having trouble with recreating this issue ourselves, would it be possible for us to arrange a remote session (using teamviewer or anydesk) at somepoint next week to try debugging this issue with you? We've got a few ideas about how we can possibly cause it to happen.

All we should need is a computer with the wireshark program installed to record the network traffic.

Let me know what time/ timezone works for you.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, Netduma Jack B said:

Hi Murf,

We're having trouble with recreating this issue ourselves, would it be possible for us to arrange a remote session (using teamviewer or anydesk) at somepoint next week to try debugging this issue with you? We've got a few ideas about how we can possibly cause it to happen.

All we should need is a computer with the wireshark program installed to record the network traffic.

Let me know what time/ timezone works for you.

Thanks.

I appreciate all your efforts. I am open to a remote session, but I'll have to get back to you on day and time, I'm in Melbourne Australia. It may have to be in a few weeks, in the meantime I can troubleshoot a little more. When using Wireshark can you give me any info that I should be looking out for?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, MuRF said:

I appreciate all your efforts. I am open to a remote session, but I'll have to get back to you on day and time, I'm in Melbourne Australia. It may have to be in a few weeks, in the meantime I can troubleshoot a little more. When using Wireshark can you give me any info that I should be looking out for?

No worries at all, I'll check with the team to see if they want a generic capture when using the speaker for example or if they want to filter the traffic. It might be easier to provide instructions so you can do so whenever you have the time. I'll get back to you!

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No worries at all, I'll check with the team to see if they want a generic capture when using the speaker for example or if they want to filter the traffic. It might be easier to provide instructions so you can do so whenever you have the time. I'll get back to you!

Ok, thank you for that, I will wait further instructions.

• Netduma Staff

Hi @MuRF,

I appreciate all your efforts. I am open to a remote session, but I'll have to get back to you on day and time, I'm in Melbourne Australia. It may have to be in a few weeks, in the meantime I can troubleshoot a little more. When using Wireshark can you give me any info that I should be looking out for?

It would be great to know the exact packet that causes the issue but, unless its a broadcast or in some cases multicast packet, it will be only between Google speaker and the modem meaning your PC won't see it so tldr unfortunately Wireshark'ing on your PC won't cut it.

At the moment we don't have a google speaker in the office. We ordered one and as soon as it arrives we will set it up. We could have a session in AEST daytime at the time of your choosing. However, It might be best to wait until we setup the speaker ourselves locally, since we will have full access of the unit it should be very easy to diagnose and fix.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Netduma Kacper said:

Hi @MuRF,

It would be great to know the exact packet that causes the issue but, unless its a broadcast or in some cases multicast packet, it will be only between Google speaker and the modem meaning your PC won't see it so tldr unfortunately Wireshark'ing on your PC won't cut it.

At the moment we don't have a google speaker in the office. We ordered one and as soon as it arrives we will set it up. We could have a session in AEST daytime at the time of your choosing. However, It might be best to wait until we setup the speaker ourselves locally, since we will have full access of the unit it should be very easy to diagnose and fix.

Thanks

Ok, I will wait for you guys to test it out. I am not even 100% sure it is because of a google device, but I have tried to monitor the pattern of modem reboots and it seems to happen after the google speaker has been in use, however, when I try to recreate the issue and I have had no luck, as it's been stable for the last 4 days.

One thing I did change from last dropout, was to reboot google speaker, change DNS Servers on Telstra Gen 3 Modem from OPEN DNS IPv4 Primary 208.67.222.222 Secondary 208.67.220.220 to Telstra DNS (Primary) Google 8.8.8.8 (Secondary)

I am just waiting for a dropout, as it normally happens within the 3–5-days. 

I have also turned off Wi-fi 6

Anyway, thanks again for your help, and if you ever have new beta firmware updates for the Telstra optimiser, I am happy to try it out.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, MuRF said:

Ok, I will wait for you guys to test it out. I am not even 100% sure it is because of a google device, but I have tried to monitor the pattern of modem reboots and it seems to happen after the google speaker has been in use, however, when I try to recreate the issue and I have had no luck, as it's been stable for the last 4 days.

One thing I did change from last dropout, was to reboot google speaker, change DNS Servers on Telstra Gen 3 Modem from OPEN DNS IPv4 Primary 208.67.222.222 Secondary 208.67.220.220 to Telstra DNS (Primary) Google 8.8.8.8 (Secondary)

I am just waiting for a dropout, as it normally happens within the 3–5-days. 

I have also turned off Wi-fi 6

Anyway, thanks again for your help, and if you ever have new beta firmware updates for the Telstra optimiser, I am happy to try it out.

Do keep us posted and we'll let you know once we receive the speaker and try to reproduce the issue. We'll definitely keep you in mind, thank you!