Issues with Game Optimiser on New Gen 3 Modem

I know its only early, but currently the Game Optimiser DumaOS with Telstra Smart modem 3 is very buggy, enough for me to deactivate it.

Main issue is it is very slow interface the sometimes just hangs and does not load the section you are trying to access. On a few occasions it has also caused the modem to disconnect from internet and restart, and this happened while just navigating through settings and the interface.

So not sure if its the current Gen 3 Firmware causing the issue, or if its the DumaOS Firmware running on Gen 3 modem causing the issue, but either way I wont be using it again until these issues are ironed out.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for raising your concerns, would you mind letting us know some more information:

What browser were you accessing the interface through?
Were there any specific sections that were struggling to load, QoS for example?

There is new firmware in the works so it will certainly get better with updates, but it'd still be worth us doing some troubleshooting to see if we can get things working better for you in the mean time.

I was using Microsoft Edge, but also tried it with Chrome when I was having issues thinking it might be a browser issue, chrome also loaded very slow at times, just like edge.

It seems to load up and work well after a modem reboot, but then after a while (A couple of hours), it seems to become very sluggish again, and stays that way until reboot.

As for the sections struggling to load QoS was definitely  an issue, and also caused the modem to reboot when navigating the setting in QoS, nothing that I altered in the settings should have caused a reboot at all.

Also the side menu titles would disappear for few seconds when selected when it was running sluggish.

Also, not related, but every time I deactivated Game Optimiser via Telstra App under extras tab to trouble shoot, it would do so, but then would not give me the option to reactivate it again even after waiting more that a day, I have had to use the chat support  to get it activated on my modem again, and let me tell you that is a big headache, on two occasions it took 6 different support persons to actually get it activated again  and hours of frustration, so if you can change it so  that it can be activated  via the Telstra app like I used be able to do when I used the GEN 2 that would be appreciated.

Since I cant reactivate and cant be bothered spending more time on support chat app talking to people that don't know their product I will wait until it shows up in my extras if and when that happens, as I can't seem to get anyone to fix this issue, If you can, I would be happy to reactivate it and do more testing.

Hope this helps

• Administrators

Totally understand, if you do get it reactivated again, could you perform a reboot, then while it seems to be smooth take a screenshot of the System Information page, then once it is sluggish again can you take another screenshot of that page and provide them both here please? That would allow us to see if memory is running out or if the CPU usage is running higher than it should. 

Screenshot after reboot

444505551_SystemInfo-Afterreboot.thumb.jpg.aeeff5e71ea96c0604922d2e0df2b556.jpg

Sluggish example - as you can see side menu titles disappear and selected section does not load I have to close browser (Edge) and go back into it to get it working again. Also happens on Chrome

455362032_sluggishexample.thumb.jpg.934014403ccc14f240797b479c09b2ee.jpg

Screenshot after sluggish behavior occurs - as you can see the network status box hasn't loaded.

1910773468_Onceitbecomessluggish.thumb.jpg.c19c7aea62055f9a96a16dffd2f4fbb1.jpg

I can get it all working again, if I close browser and come back to it after about 5 min, and seems to work again, but then while using it is when it happens, so if I am in the process of changing things or navigating the sections after a few minute this behavior beings again.

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, MuRF said:

Screenshot after reboot

Sluggish example - as you can see side menu titles disappear and selected section does not load I have to close browser (Edge) and go back into it to get it working again. Also happens on Chrome

Screenshot after sluggish behavior occurs - as you can see the network status box hasn't loaded.

I can get it all working again, if I close browser and come back to it after about 5 min, and seems to work again, but then while using it is when it happens, so if I am in the process of changing things or navigating the sections after a few minute this behavior beings again.

Hope this helps.

That's interesting, CPU usage doesn't seem to change too much during the issue.

Could you please download a log file from the three-line menu in the Logs panel, then send it over to us and let us know the approximate time this behaviour occured?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I deactivated Game Optimiser before I could download log file as you requested, it is just too unstable, constant sluggish behavior and it keeps dropping out and resetting the modem, and since deactivating Game Optimiser, I've had no drop outs at all with the Gen 3 modem, so it definitely is the DumaOS causing the issues. Hopefully with a firmware update it will fix these issues, but until then I wont be using it.

If its helps, I never changed any settings apart from QoS Settings, where I changed QoS from never to Auto Enable and changed my sliders to 70%, but either way it had the same issues regardless of the setting choices.

I really like the extras game optimiser brings, so hopefully it get sorted out.

9 hours ago, MuRF said:

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I deactivated Game Optimiser before I could download log file as you requested, it is just too unstable, constant sluggish behavior and it keeps dropping out and resetting the modem, and since deactivating Game Optimiser, I've had no drop outs at all with the Gen 3 modem, so it definitely is the DumaOS causing the issues. Hopefully with a firmware update it will fix these issues, but until then I wont be using it.

If its helps, I never changed any settings apart from QoS Settings, where I changed QoS from never to Auto Enable and changed my sliders to 70%, but either way it had the same issues regardless of the setting choices.

I really like the extras game optimiser brings, so hopefully it get sorted out.

OK, sorry to hear that.

Thank you for troubleshooting this with us nonetheless, we are working on new firmware for the Gen 3 so it will be more stable and more reliable in the next firmware. If you do decide to activate Game Optimiser again until then please do let us know and we'd be happy to continue to debug this with you until we've found a solution.

Happy to try it again when new firmware is released because I really do like the extra features it brings. Any time frame on when to expect new firmware?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MuRF said:

Happy to try it again when new firmware is released because I really do like the extra features it brings. Any time frame on when to expect new firmware?

We don't generally give out any ETAs but you can check this page for firmware progress: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000132677-dumaos-firmware-progress

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, BundyBob said:

Hi.

I noted that netduma only loads in firefox.

I have a CobraXh that has issues with 5ghz wifi (not relevent here) but also does not run the manual connection benchmark.

log-1661502106267.txt 134.82 kB · 0 downloads

What are you seeing when you try to load the interface in another browser? Could you try doing so from an incognito/private window so we know cache isn't the culprit?

Are you getting any errors when trying to run the Connection Benchmark? Could you clarify which firmware version exactly you're currently on?

28 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

What are you seeing when you try to load the interface in another browser? Could you try doing so from an incognito/private window so we know cache isn't the culprit?

Normally it's an information box, but the incognito/chrome and the InPrivate/Edge has seemed to clear the error. I had cleared the cache files without result. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Are you getting any errors when trying to run the Connection Benchmark? Could you clarify which firmware version exactly you're currently on?

On running the connection test, I just got the rotating circle next to  run test. In the log file it was getting

Fri Aug 26 20:39:29 2022 daemon.warn nginx: 2022/08/26 20:39:29 [warn] 20954#0: *8234 an upstream response is buffered to a temporary file /var/lib/nginx/proxy/7/08/0000000087 while reading upstream, client: 192.168.16.11, server: localhost, request: "POST /apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/rpc/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://127.0.0.1:81/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/rpc/", host: "192.168.16.254", referrer: "https://192.168.16.254/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/desktop/index.html??v=3.0.379&lang=English&theme=default&themeVersion=1.0"
Fri Aug 26 20:39:27 2022 daemon.err nginx[20947]: 2022/08/26 20:39:27 [error] 20954#0: *7311 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading upstream, client: 192.168.16.11, server: localhost, request: "POST /apps/com.netdumasoftware.config/rpc/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://127.0.0.1:81/apps/com.netdumasoftware.config/rpc/", host: "192.168.16.254", referrer: "https://192.168.16.254/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/desktop/index.html??v=3.0.379&lang=English&theme=default&themeVersion=1.0"
Fri Aug 26 20:39:27 2022 daemon.err nginx[20947]: 2022/08/26 20:39:27 [error] 20954#0: *8044 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading upstream, client: 192.168.16.11, server: localhost, request: "POST /apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/rpc/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://127.0.0.1:81/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/rpc/", host: "192.168.16.254", referrer: "https://192.168.16.254/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/desktop/index.html??v=3.0.379&lang=English&theme=default&themeVersion=1.0"
Fri Aug 26 20:39:27 2022 daemon.err nginx: 2022/08/26 20:39:27 [error] 20954#0: *7311 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading upstream, client: 192.168.16.11, server: localhost, request: "POST /apps/com.netdumasoftware.config/rpc/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://127.0.0.1:81/apps/com.netdumasoftware.config/rpc/", host: "192.168.16.254", referrer: "https://192.168.16.254/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/desktop/index.html??v=3.0.379&lang=English&theme=default&themeVersion=1.0"
Fri Aug 26 20:39:27 2022 daemon.err nginx: 2022/08/26 20:39:27 [error] 20954#0: *8044 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading upstream, client: 192.168.16.11, server: localhost, request: "POST /apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/rpc/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://127.0.0.1:81/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/rpc/", host: "192.168.16.254", referrer: "https://192.168.16.254/apps/com.netdumasoftware.systeminfo/desktop/index.html??v=3.0.379&lang=English&theme=default&themeVersion=1.0"

consistantly.

The Modem (gen3)

Board Model    DNA0332
Firmware Version    20.4.0319
DumaOS Version    3.0.379

The test is running ok now.

I did note that there is a 1% constant packet loss

log-1661510829610.txt

Edited by BundyBob
added packet loss and log

• Administrators

Are you seeing the packet loss on the Ping Test or the Ping Test Under Load? The test uses the Google servers so it's not necessarily indicative of overall packet loss but you could just be experiencing it to those servers

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, BundyBob said:

It appears to be only on the ping test and maybe the last send receive as the graph shows the orange vertical line at the end of the graph 

Are you seeing it every time you run the test? I'd suggest using PingPlotter and see if you see the same packet loss when pinging a more local site