Layer2 and 3 QoS and Netduma

CRarsenxL

If I DSCP tag (Layer3 QoS) or 802.1p (Layer2 QoS) the packet which WIN10 does by default, does QoS need to be on within the netduma? And how does it need to be configured? I have gig so I don’t need QoS on my router but my pc needs it I guess?

@Bert. @Newfie

082424DD-BBD2-44E5-B284-1CDEF87308B2.png

Why would your PC need QoS and your router don't?

Layer 2 deals with MAC adresses and layer 3 deals with IP's.

So local is 802.1p and packets routed to internet or a different subnet etc would need DSCP. 802.1P is not propagated over IP so if you want to send it out to the internet you need DSCP. If you turn QoS off at the router I would think it forwards the entire packet including DSCP but not sure.

I don’t use windows, perhaps if you were running servers and lots of services it might be applicable but not sure for us mortals that simply game it’s needed or something to worry about. 

15 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

If I DSCP tag (Layer3 QoS) or 802.1p (Layer2 QoS) the packet which WIN10 does by default, does QoS need to be on within the netduma? And how does it need to be configured? I have gig so I don’t need QoS on my router but my pc needs it I guess?

@Bert. @Newfie

It may be possible to configure something similar in Windows, although it won't be nearly as easy to configure as it is in DumaOS. Equally, you wouldn't have control over the rest of the network. As Newfie mentions, it depends on your use case I guess.

8 hours ago, Bert said:

Why would your PC need QoS and your router don't?

Layer 2 deals with MAC adresses and layer 3 deals with IP's.

So local is 802.1p and packets routed to internet or a different subnet etc would need DSCP. 802.1P is not propagated over IP so if you want to send it out to the internet you need DSCP. If you turn QoS off at the router I would think it forwards the entire packet including DSCP but not sure.

The QoS Packet Scheduler and 802.1p are on by default within windows 10. The use case is to tell the router to place these packets in a low latency queue. 

Does DUMA os Do this automatically even within QoS off within  the router? 

does routers in general, recognize 802.1p and place it in that low latency queue?