Latency how?

Swgohlegend

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 3:14 AM, Bert said:

Enterprise 1:1 lease line with direct peering to the datacenter he is connecting to. Expensive but for these guys they can simply deduct it from taxes as business expense.

Bro i think youre over thinking it lol. Most likely just has fiber directly in the home and hes probably playing on the LA server and he lives in LA.

25 minutes ago, zman1156 said:

Bro i think youre over thinking it lol. Most likely just has fiber directly in the home and hes probably playing on the LA server and he lives in LA.

No !

Even if you live in the same city you would not get that low of a ping most of the times since traffic has to cross over from your ISP to the datacenter.

Similarly, if I do a speedtest on the local server from my ISP which is in the same city, I get 1ms ping. If I use the server of one of the other ISP's here I get 10-15ms ping.

For people like him that make a living off streaming the expenses for a enterprise line are tax deductable so he would be crazy if he was playing on a regular ISP connection. These lines are not ultra expensive anyway.

No you contact a special provider that installs these. You need to have a business set up etc. It's a separate install from your normal ISP.

You usually have a much better SLA on these lines to ensure uptime and then there is a few options to choose from.

You can have a dark fiber solution where you provide your own equipment. But they can usually also make the arrangements for you. You pick your amount of bandwidth. And then usually there is also a level of over-subscription. Like some companies offer a 1:10 line where you share bandwidth with 10 other users (for any regular ISP this is anywhere 1:100 to 1:500 or even higher) but most also offer 1:1 lines where you alone are using the line.

Often these lines are lower in total bandwidth ie 100mbit but you share it with nobody so there is never any network congestion taking place that you will see with regular ISP's.

I used one once at a work location, best connection I ever had when playing CoD and we were sharing 100mbit with 50 users LOL. It's not just the line but we also have enterprise class routers etc obviously.

• 6 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 9:04 PM, HaBlo0 said:

Hi @zman1156 ! Do you find a provider to use this kind of connection ? (Yes i read this topic 8 months After 😅)

In France, all access providers offer it, it's FTTO (dedicated fiber)... Clearly, your line is not shared as for the general public, which allows you to have a fixed speed and a very stable line at any time of the day. It is very expensive and "reserved for business"!

At bouygues telecom, for example, it's €370/month for symmetrical 10Mbps and it increases depending on the speed you want, up to symmetrical 1Gbps! I'll let you do the math per month for the max...!

Ah oui je vois.. après, de toute façon en France, on est en galère, je parlais avec un joueur en vocal, un belge, il a fait des études en France, bah entre ses parties en France et ses parties en Belgique, c’était le jour et la nuit. Le seul problème, enfin à l’époque, c’est qu’il avait un quota de mégas à ne pas dépasser 

• 3 weeks later...

It varies from country to country... but here in America fiber still hasnt been rolled out everywhere.. im still on hybrid fiber coax.. hopefully fiber can find its way to me soon.. if you wanted to go one step further you could get business fiber but it varies country to country...