Queuing method

CRarsenxL

For gigabit, bufferbloat is not really an issue.

The issue is the queueing method. 

What queueing method does duma os use with traffic prio on? What queuing does traffic prio use with duma os off? Does the R2 have different queuing methods compared to the xr1000?

On 12/16/2021 at 7:43 AM, Netduma Jack B said:

Hi Mate,

Unfortunatley, I cant give you too much information on this as what we use is proprietary. But both the R2 and the XR1000 use the same Queuing methods when using DumaOS.

Bert seems to think the Apply to WAN function uses DSCP VALUE OF (5)

can you confirm this?

FD4FDD77-6C42-4347-9094-6CC02D966DAA.png

I do plan on making my cod app within my pc highest priority follow these steps https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1367667286

according to @Bert the QoS needs to be end to end meaning every level must have this within the network.

My ISP router supports it automatically see attached.

How can I ensure duma os supports this? 

Please let me know how to configure this on duma os if possible to honor those DSCP tags.

96630A70-9543-4F9E-BF69-D1989D7F8CE8.png

• Netduma Staff

Hi @CRarsenxL, I'm Adrian from the dev team

I'm going to try to help you without giving away too much. First, let me make sure I understand your goal: you are trying to get a certain type of traffic, like a specific game connection, being prioritized all the way from one end (one of your devices) to the other (whatever server or client is connecting to). So you are looking for a way to make sure your traffic is prioritized after it leaves the R2, right?

If so, I think if you have Congestion Control properly configured (which means, whenever you start playing while doing a download, the ping is not increasing more than a few seconds), then and the traffic you want to prioritize is on Traffic Prio, all should be sorted for you. If your ping is increasing even in this case, please let us know as that might be a different issue.

Now, regarding DSCP and queue priorities. We, at Netduma, use a custom QoS solution, which means that we treat things in a different way. But what I can say is: When a rule is added to Traffic Prio, one of the questions you get asked is type of traffic, where you can set one of four categories: Voice, Video, Background or Normal. Those categories are not chosen random, but they are following the standard of WMM, which you can read a bit more about here if you are interested.

In your case, I would set whichever traffic you want to prioritize to Voice (if it has low bandwidth like a game) or Video (if its something like a download or a Netflix stream), and choose the "Apply to WAN" option. In that case, we'll handle setting the DSCP field for you for the traffic that gets prioritized.

6 hours ago, Netduma Adrian said:

I'm going to try to help you without giving away too much. First, let me make sure I understand your goal: you are trying to get a certain type of traffic, like a specific game connection, being prioritized all the way from one end (one of your devices) to the other (whatever server or client is connecting to). So you are looking for a way to make sure your traffic is prioritized after it leaves the R2, right?

If so, I think if you have Congestion Control properly configured (which means, whenever you start playing while doing a download, the ping is not increasing more than a few seconds), then and the traffic you want to prioritize is on Traffic Prio, all should be sorted for you. If your ping is increasing even in this case, please let us know as that might be a different issue.

Now, regarding DSCP and queue priorities. We, at Netduma, use a custom QoS solution, which means that we treat things in a different way. But what I can say is: When a rule is added to Traffic Prio, one of the questions you get asked is type of traffic, where you can set one of four categories: Voice, Video, Background or Normal. Those categories are not chosen random, but they are following the standard of WMM, which you can read a bit more about here if you are interested.

In your case, I would set whichever traffic you want to prioritize to Voice (if it has low bandwidth like a game) or Video (if its something like a download or a Netflix stream), and choose the "Apply to WAN" option. In that case, we'll handle setting the DSCP field for you for the traffic that gets prioritized.

Thanks Adrian.

when it comes to packet queues, on a gigabit line would it hurt to put something in traffic prio? Would it add extra latency say if their was no buffer on the line?

And what can you recommend I keep on within the Windows 10 PC. I’ve read more into DSCP (QoS Packet Scheduler in Ethernet properties) and 802.1p/q packet priority (Packet Priority in Ethernet properties)

It doesn’t look like uses DSCP values, and my ISP router support both of the things I mention above.

I know netduma can use DSCP via apply to wan tagging however what about packet priority 802.1p/q? 

Shoud I be leaving or turning off these functions while using your router?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 5:49 AM, Netduma Adrian said:

Little confused on this actually. So the Gaming/Voice is actually recommend for LAN gaming devices not Normal(Defualt)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, CRarsenxL said:

Little confused on this actually. So the Gaming/Voice is actually recommend for LAN gaming devices not Normal(Defualt)

Basically when it gives you those options its asking what WMM category you want to select - it shouldn't ask for ethernet based devices so that's something we need to change and why we recommend selecting Normal for wired devices.