xr500 SUDDENLY wont allow some of my devices connect-firewall? Help Please!

Hi,

I am not a techie at all.  I have two wifi devices in my home that have always worked seamlessly with the Nighthawk xr500 router.  14 days ago 2 devices went "offline" so I called for tech support and on my Nest and they said the code means that the firewall is too strict to just bring it down to let the devices connect.  I have tried to do so but when I look at all the menu options I can't find anything referencing security or firewall.  Can someone walk me thru what to do?  I called Netgear and they won't provide any support on their own products without paying for a service agreement...how frustrating.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

There is no firewall settings in the XR500.

Also do the devices not physically connect to the XR500? That is not a firewall issue. If it was a firewall issue they would connect but have no communication to the internet.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The closest thing to a firewall setting is the NAT option in WAN Settings, setting this to Open relaxes the firewall a little. 

What is happening exactly, are they connected to ethernet/WiFi but just not receiving ethernet? If you have a look on the Device Manager do they show as online? Do they appear black instead of red? Did you change any settings/anything in the setup when you first noticed the issue?

I appreciate the replies thus far....thanks!  Let me try to be more specific.  So I have two devices (1 Nest thermostat and 1 Aria (fitbit scale) that will no longer communicate.  The scale needs Wifi which it use to work fine with my XR500 to communicate with my Fitbit app.  Then it suddenly stopped and now says it can't synch any longer.  Ironically I then noticed that the phone app I have for my Nest thermostats said that one of the two thermostats is now "offline" ( I have 2 Nests in my home and they each connect to different routers as they have for many years and the one that is not using the xr500 is still working fine).  Everything else that uses the XR 500 seems to be working fine as well.  To further troubleshoot I called Nest Tech Support and they said the W4 error code it gave me was most likely due to my firewall being too strict.  Strange because I hadn't changed anything on the router but, I now suddenly have two devices that now won't synch with this router as they had previously.  The Nest even looks like it is connected to the router but just can't get to the Internet.  So I logged into the router (pat myself on the back) and couldn't find anything referencing security or firewall.  The only change I did make was under Geofilter I unchecked the "strict mode".  That did not help.  Should I put that back?  So I called Nest again and she suggested we do a test to eliminate the router by using my hotspot on my phone and indeed it then allowed me to see both thermostats online on my phone app.  So this did confirm it is something in the router that changed without anyone doing anything to it.  So I am assuming maybe some update automatically occurred???  At any rate, I just want my scale to synch again with my fitbit app and I want my thermostat to work with my Nest app.  Any idea what I can do to the xr500 so everything will work again?  I so much appreciate your assistance and time!

Thanks,

Lisa

Thanks again for suggestions!  I have looked at the device manager and it has a whole slew of devices that are “offline”.  Some I recognize because they have names and perhaps were guests visiting me and so that makes sense. Others don’t have a name so when I go to the detail it just says “computer” as they all do.  Nothing there to identify it as a Nest or Aria.  I am glad to try to “manually” connect to the 2.4 but I am not sure how to do that?  I am not a techie and if you need me to attach screen shots I am glad to do so or even talk. Just let me know what is easiest. 
Thanks!

Lisa

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Lisa said:

Thanks again for suggestions!  I have looked at the device manager and it has a whole slew of devices that are “offline”.  Some I recognize because they have names and perhaps were guests visiting me and so that makes sense. Others don’t have a name so when I go to the detail it just says “computer” as they all do.  Nothing there to identify it as a Nest or Aria.  I am glad to try to “manually” connect to the 2.4 but I am not sure how to do that?  I am not a techie and if you need me to attach screen shots I am glad to do so or even talk. Just let me know what is easiest. 
Thanks!

Lisa

Access the interface, go to Settings, go to WiFi, untick the Smart Connect box, then click apply. Then on your device when you search for WiFi, one will have the 2G name, one will have the 5G name, select the 2G, type in the password and see if it works

Ummm...ok.  I logged into the router and unchecked the smart connect.   It gave me a pop up that said something about a warning on the mghtz and I did it anyway and then it came back with no response after I hit apply.  Everything went unresponsive and now I can't login in at all???  Please help!

Thanks,

Lisa

Aright, sorry...my mistake.  I am back into the router and again I checked and the smart connect is unchecked.  I went to both devices and tried.  No luck.  The Nest says it is already connected to the router but it does not give me a choice of 2G or 5G to select from.  Rather it just says it is connected to the router's name "office scrutinizer".  The Aria just says it won't synch still.

Thanks,

Lisa

Ok, my only fear in doing that is that this router connects my home to my office via commercial Engenius antennae's that are direct line of site between my home and business.  I don't know if everything will just reconnect or if there were any special settings in this router.  Unfortunately, I don't know what to look for on the router to know if it just has default settings or not.

Thanks,

LIsa 

• Administrators

So this antennae is connected to the router via WiFi/ethernet? If you just plugged it in and got internet then it shouldn't mess that up at all. When you got the router did you change any settings after going through the setup wizard?

The antennae is connected to the router via Ethernet.  I am not sure what, if anything, that was done for sure to the router to make the two antennas communicate as I did not install the router.  There was a ton of config on the antennae though.  This xr500 provided Internet to my office via these antennas with a router on each end if that makes sense.  My office is 100% reliant on getting Internet from my home or else we are down hard in terms of VOIP phones and our laptops to work from.

Thanks,

Lisa

I tried the guest wifi and that didn't work.  So I finally gave up and called NetGear for support and agreed to pay for a contract.  After 5 HOURS of troubleshooting (and confirming that it could work if connected to my personal hotspot and even another router) it was determined that NetGear pushed a firmware update out on 11/3/21 to my XR500 that has caused my two devices to no longer be able to communicate with their applications.  So I am told this was being escalated to senior management and that they will work on correcting this in the next firmware update which may take 30 days.  How frustrating...meantime I can not manage my devices.  I hope perhaps if someone else has these same same devices and router I can spare them numerous days I have spent trying to figure this out.  Thanks to Netduma Fraser and Bert for trying to assist me.  I will update once I hear back from NetGear.

I suggested that actually but, the firmware I was on he said was pushed to me on Nov 3 rd and there was already another update so he had me update to that thinking it would work. It didn’t and neither did a factory reset. I am not sure how to go back to previous version prior to Nov 3rd?  I don’t have a backup of it.  I was the one that suggested we back up what I had before the factory reset just in case it effected my antenna bridge.  It luckily all came up again except for the initial 2 devices that weren’t working. It had me a bit concerned though.  Again frustrating that I have to hope that they can fix what they broke and until then I’m without my devices working.  If you know how I can get the previous firmware I’m all about that!!! Thanks! Lisa

11 hours ago, Lisa said:

I suggested that actually but, the firmware I was on he said was pushed to me on Nov 3 rd and there was already another update so he had me update to that thinking it would work. It didn’t and neither did a factory reset. I am not sure how to go back to previous version prior to Nov 3rd?  I don’t have a backup of it.  I was the one that suggested we back up what I had before the factory reset just in case it effected my antenna bridge.  It luckily all came up again except for the initial 2 devices that weren’t working. It had me a bit concerned though.  Again frustrating that I have to hope that they can fix what they broke and until then I’m without my devices working.  If you know how I can get the previous firmware I’m all about that!!! Thanks! Lisa

You can download the previous full release firmware from their support page, here's a link.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062867/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-114

Sad to say that I downloaded the V2.2.2.114 from Feb 5, 2021 and it did not work.  Now that is baffling.  Since they pushed an update on Nov.3 and 2 of my IP devices stopped communicating with their applications I was positive going back to an earlier firmware would be the ticket!  I just tried both devices and there is no difference.  I am assuming since router automatically reboots with the firmware load that I don't need to power cycle it or disconnect it completely from the power source???  I am so disappointed.  I just checked on my ticket with NetGear and they haven't even touched it since this past Sunday.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks for your help...I did see some notes in the user guide about "changing and removing outbound firewall rule for a service or application"....could this be used to allow my thermostat and scale to get thru the router???

Thanks,

Lisa

3 hours ago, Lisa said:

Sad to say that I downloaded the V2.2.2.114 from Feb 5, 2021 and it did not work.  Now that is baffling.  Since they pushed an update on Nov.3 and 2 of my IP devices stopped communicating with their applications I was positive going back to an earlier firmware would be the ticket!  I just tried both devices and there is no difference.  I am assuming since router automatically reboots with the firmware load that I don't need to power cycle it or disconnect it completely from the power source???  I am so disappointed.  I just checked on my ticket with NetGear and they haven't even touched it since this past Sunday.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks for your help...I did see some notes in the user guide about "changing and removing outbound firewall rule for a service or application"....could this be used to allow my thermostat and scale to get thru the router???

Thanks,

Lisa

After downgrading a factory reset using the rear pin is best practise to clear out the NVram. Set the router up as new and do not use a saved profile config. 

8 hours ago, Lisa said:

Thanks,

Lisa

Good suggestion above from Newfie, otherwise I'd also suggest chasing Netgear on the support ticket as you've paid for the service.

Can you explain "using the rear pin"?  I am an absolute non tech person trying to fix my router....LOL! How do I setup the router as new and not use the saved profile config?  Thank you, thank you!  

Lisa