xr500 SUDDENLY wont allow some of my devices connect-firewall? Help Please!

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Lisa said:

Can you explain "using the rear pin"?  I am an absolute non tech person trying to fix my router....LOL! How do I setup the router as new and not use the saved profile config?  Thank you, thank you!  

Lisa

So on the back of the router, where the ports are there is a little hole, should be labelled RES or something to that effect. You put a pin or something thin in there, there is a little button, press and hold for 30 seconds, then release, wait 2 minutes then access the interface and go through the Setup Wizard. 

Ok, thanks I wondered if that is what was meant.  Ok I will try this next.  When I do the setup wizard will I be able to pick the firmware version I want to use or will it pull the most recent?

Thanks,

Lisa

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Lisa said:

Ok, thanks I wondered if that is what was meant.  Ok I will try this next.  When I do the setup wizard will I be able to pick the firmware version I want to use or will it pull the most recent?

Thanks,

Lisa

It will stay on whatever version you are currently on but it will give you the option to upgrade to the latest version if you're not on it already

I managed to reset the router with the pin.  I used the wizard to set back up the router.  I checked to confirm that the firmware remained on the older .114 version as it had been "downgraded" to in hopes this would take me back to where I was initially when everything worked.  I factory reset my thermostat to ensure I started from a clear slate to reset it and reconnected to the router.  However, this is when it asks for an entry key which it must get from the Internet and it can't get outside of the router to get it.  I just don't know what else to do. I checked with Netgear again on my ticket and am on hold with them again.  They have not done anything on this ticket it appears.  Any other suggestions appreciated. :(

Thanks,

Lisa

Well I was on the phone for 4 hours+ with NetGear tech support...again no resolution.  I did mention opening the NAT and the DMZ which we tried and no luck.  Escalated to the Level 2 and I am to have a call back tomorrow morning.  I guess we shall see....everything still points to firmware I think.  So frustrating to say the least. T

hanks

Lisa

Invested another 1.5 hours....ran a debug file and saved the router setting in cfg file and uploaded to my case at Netgear.  On to level 3 support for them to investigate and hopefully create a firmware fix.  It seems there is complete agreement that the Nov 3rd firmware update is the culprit.  Once they have a fix they will have me test...anticipated that this may take 1-2 weeks. I will keep you updated as I am sure this will happen to someone else.  They said that I am the first to escalate a ticket of this issue with the xr500 and the NEST and ARIA since that update went out.  Yeah!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Lisa

• Administrators

Fingers crossed! Thanks for the information, based on some research I have a few suggestions. Quick question, for WiFi password security did you select the Enterprise option by any chance?

As you're now on .130 make a Traffic Controller rule to allow ALL traffic to the thermostats. Create a 2.4GHz guest WiFi network just for the thermostats and tick the option 'Allow guests to see each other and access my local network' then see if it works.

• 1 month later...

All-

Thanks again for all the assistance thru this forum.  I wanted to give my issue some closure.  After having this issue for 2.5 months I finally have a resolution that works as of this morning.  In working with the escalation team at Netgear who intern works with the engineers we have arrived at the core issue being the DNS primary and secondary IP addresses.  My two devices an Aria scale and a Nest thermostat that needed Primary DNS to be 8.8.8.8 and secondary to be 8.8.4.4.  The push that Netgear did to my router on November 3rd, 2021 was indeed the culprit but it was these DNS IP addresses that needed to change as a result.  I have expressed to Netgear that after countless hours of trying to troubleshoot this both alone, with the help of this forum and the engineers it was frustrating to me that they don't offer tech support beyond 90 days.  Although I did not get charged since it was a "complex" issue to figure out it is *&%^ to break thru to that level.  Customer service is paramount in my career and instills loyalty...Netgear needs to realize this and not just see the 91st day and beyond as a revenue source from their clients.  I expressed that opinion on their recorded line with the tech and I am doubtful it will make a difference but, it has made me reconsider what my next router manufacturer will be.

If my experience can help someone else resolve their issue all the better!  

Thanks again,

Lisa

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Lisa said:

All-

Thanks again for all the assistance thru this forum.  I wanted to give my issue some closure.  After having this issue for 2.5 months I finally have a resolution that works as of this morning.  In working with the escalation team at Netgear who intern works with the engineers we have arrived at the core issue being the DNS primary and secondary IP addresses.  My two devices an Aria scale and a Nest thermostat that needed Primary DNS to be 8.8.8.8 and secondary to be 8.8.4.4.  The push that Netgear did to my router on November 3rd, 2021 was indeed the culprit but it was these DNS IP addresses that needed to change as a result.  I have expressed to Netgear that after countless hours of trying to troubleshoot this both alone, with the help of this forum and the engineers it was frustrating to me that they don't offer tech support beyond 90 days.  Although I did not get charged since it was a "complex" issue to figure out it is *&%^ to break thru to that level.  Customer service is paramount in my career and instills loyalty...Netgear needs to realize this and not just see the 91st day and beyond as a revenue source from their clients.  I expressed that opinion on their recorded line with the tech and I am doubtful it will make a difference but, it has made me reconsider what my next router manufacturer will be.

If my experience can help someone else resolve their issue all the better!  

Thanks again,

Lisa

Well done on persisting and managing to get the issue sorted, thanks for posting the solution. Rest assured you can always receive support for free from us via any of our channels!