XR1000 1.0.0.58, 1.0.0.52

I'm not here to whine about those firmwares ...but there are some major issues with them:

-forwarded ports disappear with time   

-restoring setting from the backup file does not work

-when selected manually, traffic prioritization does nothing to TCP packets (only udp)

-Upnp on off not visible (1.0.0.58 only)

This is a gaming router,  ironically the basic gaming features don't work!!!

For f... sake, start supporting your product!!!

Netgear are the ones who release the firmware on their XR model routers. Netduma R1 & R2 are their own routers and linked in no way to Netgear. Netduma are constantly testing firmware, identifying bugs or security vulnerabilities if they occur as there are members testing  firmware on this forum. Any firmware fixes, enhancements or new features that are implemented by Netgear is up to Netgear when or if they decide to update their routers and is not upto Netduma to determine the timescale or frequency of updates. 

Ssorry my reply is not very helpful to you but it is the only answer I have, apart from contacting Netgear and venting your frustration to them. 

10 hours ago, Jackal235 said:

I'm not here to whine about those firmwares ...but there are some major issues with them:

-forwarded ports disappear with time   

-restoring setting from the backup file does not work

-when selected manually, traffic prioritization does nothing to TCP packets (only udp)

-Upnp on off not visible (1.0.0.58 only)

This is a gaming router,  ironically the basic gaming features don't work!!!

For f... sake, start supporting your product!!!

Netgear are aware of the issue with UPNP, as a workaround I'd suggest putting the XR1000 in the DMZ of the upstream router so you don't have any NAT problems. Make sure you remove all port forwarding rules when you do this.

What is indicating to you that Traffic Prioritisation isn't prioritising TCP packets? Are you using a custom rule you configured yourself or are you using the DumaOS classified games rule?

10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Netgear are aware of the issue with UPNP, as a workaround I'd suggest putting the XR1000 in the DMZ of the upstream router so you don't have any NAT problems. Make sure you remove all port forwarding rules when you do this.

What is indicating to you that Traffic Prioritisation isn't prioritising TCP packets? Are you using a custom rule you configured yourself or are you using the DumaOS classified games rule?

1.0.0.58 was released in August 2021. The Upnp problem was noticed on this forum right away. 3 months later same crap!

I'm not a fan of putting my console in DMZ. It's simply not safe. Besides... port forwarding should not be an issue.

I added number of custom prio rules for COD PS5, including TCP ports 1935, 3478-3480 (Duma OS classified games is off).

Netduma never show any packets being prioritized. Strange, since The same TCP ports can be visible sometimes in Upnp table.

11 hours ago, Jackal235 said:

1.0.0.58 was released in August 2021. The Upnp problem was noticed on this forum right away. 3 months later same crap!

I'm not a fan of putting my console in DMZ. It's simply not safe. Besides... port forwarding should not be an issue.

I added number of custom prio rules for COD PS5, including TCP ports 1935, 3478-3480 (Duma OS classified games is off).

Netduma never show any packets being prioritized. Strange, since The same TCP ports can be visible sometimes in Upnp table.

I'm not suggesting you put the console in the DMZ, I agree that's not secure. Put the XR1000 in the DMZ of the ISP router, that will solve any NAT issue while still being secure.

Can you send a screenshot of your custom traffic prio rules so we can take a look at what might be the issue?

12 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

I'm not suggesting you put the console in the DMZ, I agree that's not secure. Put the XR1000 in the DMZ of the ISP router, that will solve any NAT issue while still being secure.

Can you send a screenshot of your custom traffic prio rules so we can take a look at what might be the issue?

No ISP router, just the modem. Trying not to complicate things.

Following QOS rules prioritize TCP ports 1935 and 3478-3480 for any outgoing and incoming traffic to and from my console.

Unfortunately no single TCP packet shows up:

Capture4.thumb.PNG.96d4d96ba73e3abf3c3a971256a8ac48.PNG

• Administrators

Just to circle back a little:

"forwarded ports disappear with time" - How long is it before these are disappearing exactly? If you have made it to a device and you then delete that device those rules will disappear as well.    

"restoring setting from the backup file does not work" - What settings are you hoping that are saved/restored but aren't?

"when selected manually, traffic prioritization does nothing to TCP packets (only udp)" - So 1935 is for RTMP, if you're not chatting it's unlikely to be used much - it would also likely be using UDP for this, otherwise chat could seem laggy depending on the situation, 3478 is for NAT so won't be used too much after the initial check, 3479/3480 is for PlayStation network - depends how they're using it, if it's just to check you're online/to make sure you own the game this won't be used much either. 3074 will be the main port for gaming and for an FPS game that requires the most recent data all the time at a moments notice they will be using UDP. So in essence, TCP isn't really being prioritized because it's unlikely that it is being used much. If you look at port forwarding lists for games, UDP ports are listed more as well.

"Upnp on off not visible (1.0.0.58 only)" - Yep that's a bug NG should have fixed.

"This is a gaming router,  ironically the basic gaming features don't work!!!" - Are you just referring to Traffic Prioritization or any other feature as well?

As for why it doesn't appear to be prioritizing anything really at all I suspect either that you're playing over WiFi, in which case you'll need to make the rules use Gaming/Voice instead of Normal or that the device you think may be the PS5 isn't actually so you might be prioritizing the wrong device by mistake. Double check the IP on the PS5 itself, then double check the device you think it is on the Device Manager.

59 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just to circle back a little:

"forwarded ports disappear with time" - How long is it before these are disappearing exactly? If you have made it to a device and you then delete that device those rules will disappear as well.    

"restoring setting from the backup file does not work" - What settings are you hoping that are saved/restored but aren't?

"when selected manually, traffic prioritization does nothing to TCP packets (only udp)" - So 1935 is for RTMP, if you're not chatting it's unlikely to be used much - it would also likely be using UDP for this, otherwise chat could seem laggy depending on the situation, 3478 is for NAT so won't be used too much after the initial check, 3479/3480 is for PlayStation network - depends how they're using it, if it's just to check you're online/to make sure you own the game this won't be used much either. 3074 will be the main port for gaming and for an FPS game that requires the most recent data all the time at a moments notice they will be using UDP. So in essence, TCP isn't really being prioritized because it's unlikely that it is being used much. If you look at port forwarding lists for games, UDP ports are listed more as well.

"Upnp on off not visible (1.0.0.58 only)" - Yep that's a bug NG should have fixed.

"This is a gaming router,  ironically the basic gaming features don't work!!!" - Are you just referring to Traffic Prioritization or any other feature as well?

As for why it doesn't appear to be prioritizing anything really at all I suspect either that you're playing over WiFi, in which case you'll need to make the rules use Gaming/Voice instead of Normal or that the device you think may be the PS5 isn't actually so you might be prioritizing the wrong device by mistake. Double check the IP on the PS5 itself, then double check the device you think it is on the Device Manager.

LMAO,

Instead of asking these questions and playing detective, why don't you take XR1000 and simulate the problems I described. 

10 hours ago, Jackal235 said:

LMAO,

Instead of asking these questions and playing detective, why don't you take XR1000 and simulate the problems I described. 

We haven't been able to recreate the port forwarding issue, hence why we asked for some more detail on it as it's not a problem we've heard of before.

Same applies to the question on restoring from backup, we need to know what you're expecting to be backed up and what the symptoms of the problem are before we can try to reproduce your exact issue.

I assume Fraser's explanation on Traffic Prio has answered your original question.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Delirious1983 said:

When is this planned for release on the road map?

That is entirely up to Netgear, should be a pretty easy one to fix as it's working on the backend as far as we can tell and is purely a frontend thing.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Delirious1983 said:

So as the developers of the DumaOS you haven't got a clue when we are likely to receive an update?  Do you not liaise with Netgear?

In relation to it working on the backend, what good is a bulb that doesn't illuminate?

Yes of course we liaise with them. We both have development goals we aim for but it’s always subject to change which is why neither company publicise these dates.

10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

We haven't been able to recreate the port forwarding issue, hence why we asked for some more detail on it as it's not a problem we've heard of before.

Same applies to the question on restoring from backup, we need to know what you're expecting to be backed up and what the symptoms of the problem are before we can try to reproduce your exact issue.

I assume Fraser's explanation on Traffic Prio has answered your original question.

Ok, once more:)

I forwarded number of ports to get open NAT in COD for PS5 (TCP 1935, 3478-3480, UDP 3074-3079, 3478-3479). It played fine for days, then I noticed NAT is moderate again.

I went to forwarded ports page, where all the settings were gone. I tried to reenter them, just to get ports conflicting with another service error. Only solution was to revert to factory settings.

It happened probably 5 times within the last 3 months on both firmwares.

After all router setting were done (wireless, QOS, port forwarding, device manager), I obviously wanted to save it.

In Backup page, I would save a copy of current settings in NETGEAR_XR1000.cfg file. Next time, I did the factory reset, when initial setup begins, there is an option to restore the settings from backup. Pointing to my saved cfg file, would start the restoration. Unfortunately, after few minutes  nothing gets restored.

Traffic prioritization for TCP ports not working because the you assumed I'm on wireless :)

My PS5 is hard wired with 1G cat6 cable, that's why you see "normal default wan" selection. Strange enough UDP ports are being prioritized with no problem.

Guys, If you have access to XR1000, maybe you could do some testing, instead shooting possibilities from the hip. 

If Netgear is responsible - shame on them for this support.

• Administrators

Your port forwarding issue lends itself more to what I mentioned the Traffic Prioritization issue could be in that it may no longer be going to the device you think the PS5 is. Ports conflicting was likely because UPnP is enabled and opened the port. We can look into the back up config issue. There should be a lot more packets prioritized than is seen there, please check the IPs on Device Manager and console match.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your port forwarding issue lends itself more to what I mentioned the Traffic Prioritization issue could be in that it may no longer be going to the device you think the PS5 is. Ports conflicting was likely because UPnP is enabled and opened the port. We can look into the back up config issue. There should be a lot more packets prioritized than is seen there, please check the IPs on Device Manager and console match.

please stop assuming - you wrong again

• Administrators

I understand you're frustrated, we're troubleshooting and that means you give us information and using our expertise we surmise what could be the problem, this can go back and forth until we find the solution - if you're not happy with that then I'm not sure how we can help. If we ask or suggest something and you don't reply then we don't know whether you have tried it, people miss out steps all the time, especially as my post was fairly long. Do you have Armor enabled? Do you ever use WiFi on the console or is it always wired? What web browser/device do you normally use when changing settings on the interface? Do you make the port forwarding/traffic prio rules when you're already on the console/game?

I bought this router to enjoy gaming, not to troubleshoot the problems in a baby steps details. 

Before you were suggesting, that the TCP prio problem was because wifi and wrong traffic type selection,

now it's upnp conflicting with forwarded ports.  I never enable both, it's common knowledge on every router. 

I apricate your help but you can see there are some issues with the firmware.

For now I'm playing without forwarded ports, upnp on, traffic prio: basic PS5, game console. It's more simple setup but it has to do for now.

• Administrators

Understood, if you want to continue troubleshooting answer the above questions and we can go from there. We'll be posting some information about the XR routers pretty soon and then shouldn't be much longer before an update is available.

23 minutes ago, Jackal235 said:

Ok, 

No Armor

always wired (already mentioned, wifi not even set for Ps5)

MS edge to access the router

no making rules when in game

also my ps5 is in static ip

Thanks for the information!

I've passed your feedback so far on to the team and we'll see if we can recreate the issues you've experienced. In the mean time, try accessing the interface to make changes in either Chrome or Firefox, we've heard of a few visual issues in Edge and we're working on fixing that. While these likely aren't the cause of the issues you're having, it won't help.

As your modem is a pure modem and not a router/modem combo, presumably your XR1000 has an external WAN IP, correct? That being the case, it's strange you're having NAT issues at all. Are you able to provide some more insight in to your exact physical setup? As I currently understand, it's simply Modem -> XR1000 -> Connected devices. Is that right?