Netduma R2 QoS/bufferbloat is poor if another device is using internet.

toli

@Netduma Fraser like i said before i tried everything you could think of for 5 days straight, every setting off/on or  combinations, the issue is with dumaos. If it was the modem or my line then the 7 year old asus routers QoS wouldn't work perfectly. DHCP and now I'm keeping Ipv6 disabled because apperantly ipv6 is not needed for gaming. Its just a pure modem Adtran sdx621i. 

• Administrators

I'm not saying it's an issue with the modem necessarily, I can't find much on that model at all but if it's similar to another of theirs then they have some sort of QoS functionality through traffic shaping and priority, are you able to access this and disable it? Running QoS twice is not ideal. Are you saying then with share excess unticked you notice no difference whatsoever? 

What you can still do is cascade both routers.

ISP ONT -> Asus (QoS on, and you need to enter the R2 IP in DMZ) -> R2 (QoS off and set bandwidth to 1000/1000)-> devices

Then you have the QoS on your Asus router and geofilter of the R2. For wifi pick the one that works best for you.

Asus adaptive QoS is based on the FQ_Codel algorithm I believe while DumaOS is HTB traffic shaping + PFIFO. DumaOS has the drawback that you can't enter a minimum and maximum bandwidth per device. You essentially have to choose between shared excess on, which means that a device can potentially eat all the bandwidth that it can, or off. But in that case it stays fixed to that. Other traffic shaping systems allow you to put an upper limit to how much extra bandwidth they can use.

Not every type of QoS plays nice with every connection. Internet providers also run their own form of QoS and for example when they also deliver IPTV, they will prioritize videostreaming. Then, when your router tries to drop the video stream, they in turn drop the other traffic because their system is set to deliver video quality and you're back to square 1. Also ISP's have traffic policers in place, meaning if you exceed your maximum bandwidth it will just drop packets or buffer data.

That's why I wonder if share excess off on download will fix it. If it doesn't it's a sign that your ISP clearly doesn't want to play along. If it does, something else is going on and the YT stream is bypassing your QoS ques somehow. For any QoS it's extremely difficult to do something on download as you can't always control how fast data is beeing sent to you. For TCP traffic, the router will drop a packet and then TCP cuts the sending speed in half. For UDP there is only one way communication, and really there is no way of controlling this. Youtube is UDP.

A 4K HD stream can generate some huge traffic bursts that overload your connection for a moment, if I start a 4K stream I sometimes see a 120mbit burst on initial buffering. This is much higher in reality as the DumaOS graph averages this.

The CPU's on a R2 should be fine for 320 mbit, the original R1 was maxing out on that with a single core CPU.

On 11/17/2021 at 9:29 PM, Bert said:

What you can still do is cascade both routers.

ISP ONT -> Asus (QoS on, and you need to enter the R2 IP in DMZ) -> R2 (QoS off and set bandwidth to 1000/1000)-> devices

Then you have the QoS on your Asus router and geofilter of the R2. For wifi pick the one that works best for you.

@Bert 

Should i use Lan to Lan or Lan to Wan which do you think is better?

Atm i have it asus>lan to wan>R2 and i dont see the huge spikes anymore but somehow twitch sometimes doesnt load or takes ages to load everything else works normal and the difference is night and day no more 350ms spikes.

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, toli said:

@bert the massive spikes are back and i have ran out of hope about dumaos

On 11/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not saying it's an issue with the modem necessarily, I can't find much on that model at all but if it's similar to another of theirs then they have some sort of QoS functionality through traffic shaping and priority, are you able to access this and disable it? Running QoS twice is not ideal. Are you saying then with share excess unticked you notice no difference whatsoever? 

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

called my ISP and they said that its a pure modem so it shouldn't have QoS, and yeah no difference really the spikes are still here. I don't understand why you say it might be the modems fault when clearly the asus qos works and if i turn the qos off you can see that its off by just looking at the bufferbloat. I wouldn't mind if the spikes were just on the test but i have them when i game and it ruins the games online. 

• Administrators

Okay great thanks for checking. I was saying if it had QoS then it would affect how QoS on the R2 would run. I'd suggest you upgrade to the newest firmware we just released: 

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/38047-new-r2-firmware-30394/ do a factory reset then see if it is any better for you.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay great thanks for checking. I was saying if it had QoS then it would affect how QoS on the R2 would run. I'd suggest you upgrade to the newest firmware we just released: 

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/38047-new-r2-firmware-30394/ do a factory reset then see if it is any better for you.

i have upgraded to new firmware but its same no improvement plus now ping heat map thinks theres no internet connection and i click force update etc etc etc reinstalled the firmware again still same, it worked few factory resets ago but this dumaos is buggy one time had to do factory reset again because wifi was giving no internet while i was clearly connected. when i did the firmware update i just grabbed the file from the link you posted without registering to the site or unzipping the file, did i do something wrong? ita frustrating having such high expectations about dumaos and then waking up  to reality of this.

7 hours ago, toli said:

i have upgraded to new firmware but its same no improvement plus now ping heat map thinks theres no internet connection and i click force update etc etc etc reinstalled the firmware again still same, it worked few factory resets ago but this dumaos is buggy one time had to do factory reset again because wifi was giving no internet while i was clearly connected. when i did the firmware update i just grabbed the file from the link you posted without registering to the site or unzipping the file, did i do something wrong? ita frustrating having such high expectations about dumaos and then waking up  to reality of this.

No I believe you followed the correct steps. How did you do the factory reset?

To be clear, Ping Heatmap is now working but you have the same issues as before?

There have been some improvements to Connection Benchmark's accuracy in this firmware so could you please run another one and send over a screenshot of the results?