Netduma R2 QoS/bufferbloat is poor if another device is using internet.

toli

Hi I'm new customer of netduma R2 since 5days ago. Any update coming to fix the QoS so it can actually work properly, only way to get somehow acceptable results is to put QoS at 6% and even then it acts up if another device or video is being played in the line. DumaOS is good but without QoS working properly it just not acceptable I even tried connecting my Asus router as Access Point because I thought the processor/ram of R2 is weak but it doesn't make a difference, you guys know this is a issue with DumaOS and have an update coming soon or I should just return the R2 because it's clearly not for gaming if you have another device running or watching YouTube/twitch. Fibre 320-330 internet btw. Firmware 3.0.205i and one more question, why at Rapp Store it says LOGGED IN AS LUKE? Have I actually received a 2nd hand R2 or is there something that I don't know. 

Have you set your gaming device as priority device?

320 up/down should be good enough to play without QoS under normal circumstances. A Youtube stream only gives 10-12mbit spikes. QoS will not react to that if that is your only traffic on the line.

11 hours ago, toli said:

Hi I'm new customer of netduma R2 since 5days ago. Any update coming to fix the QoS so it can actually work properly, only way to get somehow acceptable results is to put QoS at 6% and even then it acts up if another device or video is being played in the line. DumaOS is good but without QoS working properly it just not acceptable I even tried connecting my Asus router as Access Point because I thought the processor/ram of R2 is weak but it doesn't make a difference, you guys know this is a issue with DumaOS and have an update coming soon or I should just return the R2 because it's clearly not for gaming if you have another device running or watching YouTube/twitch. Fibre 320-330 internet btw. Firmware 3.0.205i and one more question, why at Rapp Store it says LOGGED IN AS LUKE? Have I actually received a 2nd hand R2 or is there something that I don't know. 

Welcome to the forum!

Good answer above from Bert, sounds like we need to optimise QoS a little, how do you currently have traffic prioritisation configured? What problems are you seeing in it's current configuration exactly?

That's a known bug in the Rapp store, don't worry you haven't received a second hand router. The name of the developer that wrote the feature is Luke.

I have spent over 5 days tweaking everything you could think of trust me when i say if theres another device watching a stream or youtube the ping spikes get pretty high, even on the same pc if i have a stream up or youtube video the spikes can go to 40-60ms, you can test if for yourself and i guarantee you would get similar results. Is there an update coming soon that will actually make the QoS work all the time and not just 80% of the time when there's another device or even same PC watching YouTube or twitch. The QoS works fine if theres nothing going on but a game, anything else and it starts to spike. It doesn't take a scientist to figure this out that its either the QoS not coded properly or the R2 is just weak but the latter is not the case because i have seen few people have same results with the high end netgear routers. 

about traffic prioritization, what do i select my gaming pc as if the games i play are not listed in there? i tried as game console but it did nothing and should i select normal(default) or gaming/voice? btw i tried all of them and no difference again.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Can you provide a screenshot of a completed Connection Benchmark test please? 6% is very low and you almost certainly would see some issues there as you may not have enough bandwidth for the services/applications you're trying to use at the time. Can you also provide a screenshot of your QoS page please?

DumaOS Classified Games is enabled by default and that should automatically prioritize the games you play. What do you mean by it did nothing when you select the Games Console service? If the PC is connected via ethernet, if WiFi then choose Gaming/Voice.

as you can see the difference between nothing going on in the line to just watching a youtube or twitch stream is huge, i managed to find the sweetspot 27/25% and believe me other times it can go to even 60ms spikes, in waveform bufferbloat test sometimes i get even 320ms+. I meant it did nothing like I didn't see any difference by selecting default or game/voice.

btw its community fibre brand new installed in my flat 4 months ago on my asus router the speeds are 321 download and 330 download but on the R2 is lower and not consistent. any news about a new firmware update?

i dont know if its the R2 or the DumaOS, and when downloading a game all 4 processors go to 100%

asus ac87u router QoS working as it should and its 7 years old too with way higher speeds, so its definitely dumaos  100% and its most probably the way traffic prioritization works in dumaos because when i try to monitor my bandwidth( prioritize traffic) in my asus then the ping gets slightly higher then without it but no where near what dumaos is doing, you guys maybe know this but im 99.9% i have found the cause why dumaos QoS is so bad. The difference with QoS on asus 7 year old router is just night and day its mind boggling how the dumaos team thinks its QoS is acceptable. I seriously think i should be refunded because i didnt get DumaOS to lag but to reduce it!

this one i am watching a 4k  Youtube live video on my phone and watching stream on twitch and QOS just works flawlessly on a bloody 7 year old router COME ON............. if i did this on the netduma R2 it would spike 100% of time, no matter how many things i have open or watching the asus handles it like it should PERFECT in other hand dumaos if i even watch on the pc a stream or youtube it gets spikes 100% of time, again you guys definitely know this but yeah I'm actually very surprised how much difference there is between the 2 routers............

image.thumb.png.f836a6e3d57cd032e10263b250d440b9.png

Do you have any special configurations, ie is your fiber link set up as DHCP or PPPoE? Because you say it's community fiber, is this like a shared network?

Just to be sure the PC is hooked up with LAN cable?

Are you using IPv6 on the off chance?

In case of IPv6, if we are diving in the YT traffic:

I just tried replicating your case out of interest and if I use my regular internet connection with IPv6 enabled, the packet capture function on the XR500 doesn't capture the YT video I play in 4K on my phone.

Also when I run a tracert to youtube on my IPv6 connection it skips the router completely, this is because my PC has a public IPv6 adress on that interface. And my phone as well.

In other words, traffic on IPv6 doesn't use NAT or is not routed but passed through. This could have implications on how your QoS reacts, as as far as I know on DumaOS QoS acts on the interface rather than the entire port. (This is also why on other DumaOS routers QoS is an issue when you apply VLAN tags to WAN, it's a separate interface)

Twitch.tv doesn't use IPv6 but only IPv4, and is using TCP packets so no reason here QoS should not filter this.

If you play 2 separate twitch streams, but no Youtube, do you still have the same issue?

Alternative what you can try:

1. Under QoS menu, disable share excess on download, do you still have the same issue?

2. If you have IPv6 on, turn it off

58 minutes ago, Bert said:

community fibre is the name of the company of my ISP.

thanks for your help but i tried everything and as you can see on the asus AC87U a 7 year old router the QoS works flawlessly any thing i throw at it without a hickup, so yeah its definitely the dumaos that's at fault here.

@toli Initially I'd suggest going back to enabling DumaOS classified games, as the rule you've added is doing nothing and therefore all traffic is pretty much getting treated equally. That will ensure your games are as smooth as possible.

You can probably set Congestion control higher too, as Fraser mentions it's too restrictive currently, despite your very good Connection Benchmark results.

If you'd like to return the R2, email [email protected]. If you'd like to understand QoS better, let us know and we'd be happy to help further.

@Netduma Liam dumaos classified games doesn't have my games in there so there's no point, i removed all prioritization rules and i think its tiny bit better now but its still not acceptable since a 7 year old router does QoS perfect with 0 spikes, just a shame that the asus doesn't have geo filter but i think id rather have no spikes at all then have geo filter. Was really excited about the dumaos but unfortunately it has issues.

its Adtran modem and yes only 3 devices but dumaos can barely keep up with 1 device, its fine with just 1 person using the internet and only gaming but if theres other devices or youtube/twitch using internet then the massive spikes come back. Honestly i know you guys know that the QoS doesn't work like it should and i bet most of you moderator's don't even use dumaos. i don't think there's even a point to carry this conversation anymore so i ask you how long can i hold on to R2 before returning it? Incase there's a firmware update that fixes this issue.

• Administrators

Whats the specific modem model - does it provide WiFi or is it a pure modem? Are you using PPPoE, IPv6 or DHCP identifiers? Bert made a good suggestion about unticking share excess, that would hard limit each device to the bandwidth you've set and would resolve your issue. If you don't want to troubleshoot that's absolutely fine but it will make it harder for us to help you. There is a firmware update coming imminently yes. You can see the return terms here: https://netduma.com/terms/