High Ping Under Load

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Your base ping in the Ping Test which is just a normal test of your connection indicates that it's spiking quite a lot. Is it possible for you to disconnect the XR and just connect directly to the modem for a day and see whether you get the same issues?

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your base ping in the Ping Test which is just a normal test of your connection indicates that it's spiking quite a lot. Is it possible for you to disconnect the XR and just connect directly to the modem for a day and see whether you get the same issues?

I disconnected from the XR500 last night and ran PingPlotter directly to the modem and I didn't get any spikes. 

Here are two screen shots i took. One is of my network when it is just idle with nothing running. The other is taken when i started matchmaking and got into a game. In the past when i have done this i will have spikes up in the yellow/red as well but right now I didn't. Should my ping start fluctuating that much just because I'm in a game?

QoS was set to 70/70.

Geo Filter was on as well and the radius was set to 550 miles.  

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 10.09.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 10.43.00 AM.png

That picture on connection benchmark is definitly bufferbloat. You can see that the upload starts at 100mbit while your ISP gives you 45 mbit. So really it starts filling the buffers and then stabilizes when it slows down to below your ISP treshold.

Did you get that cable modem supplied from your ISP, or have you bought it yourself?

With many cable ISP's, the modems recieve a configuration file called CMboot file. It also has settings for speed. So normally the cable modem slows down your upload and keeps buffering somewhat in check.

Cable modems are always prone to latency rise under load. This is simply due to the nature of DOCSIS systems. When a modem wants to send data, it needs to send a request to the CMTS that it wants to send data. Then the CMTS assigns it a time slot. The more data you send the more time slots it needs and the more latency is induced by these steps. For comparison, with fiber, your ONT just converts ethernet data to a serial fiber link and there is no such communication taking place. Or in some cases there is but the oversubscription on point to point passive optical networks are a lot lower, and bandwidth to the terminal higher.

My connection benchmarks always look dodgy as well since my modem is a business one and has no speed profile. Then it hits the limiters of my ISP network. When gaming it's no issue since QoS takes care if things. 

That 200ms to the server is another issue I would think.

10 minutes ago, Bert said:

That picture on connection benchmark is definitly bufferbloat. You can see that the upload starts at 100mbit while your ISP gives you 45 mbit. So really it starts filling the buffers and then stabilizes when it slows down to below your ISP treshold.

Did you get that cable modem supplied from your ISP, or have you bought it yourself?

With many cable ISP's, the modems recieve a configuration file called CMboot file. It also has settings for speed. So normally the cable modem slows down your upload and keeps buffering somewhat in check.

Cable modems are always prone to latency rise under load. This is simply due to the nature of DOCSIS systems. When a modem wants to send data, it needs to send a request to the CMTS that it wants to send data. Then the CMTS assigns it a time slot. The more data you send the more time slots it needs and the more latency is induced by these steps. For comparison, with fiber, your ONT just converts ethernet data to a serial fiber link and there is no such communication taking place. Or in some cases there is but the oversubscription on point to point passive optical networks are a lot lower, and bandwidth to the terminal higher.

My connection benchmarks always look dodgy as well since my modem is a business one and has no speed profile. Then it hits the limiters of my ISP network. When gaming it's no issue since QoS takes care if things. 

That 200ms to the server is another issue I would think.

I bought the cable modem myself. If was not supplied by my ISP. Is there a way to better configure the modem? 

Also your QoS configuration rules are off.

TCPUDP 1:65535 to 1024:65535 means that the router prioritizes nearly all traffic coming out of the router so delete that bottom one.

Middle one is also wrong as UDP 3074 to 3074 only prioritizes traffic with the authenticaltion server, not actual game traffic.

Games console prioritizes UDP 1024-65535 to 1024-65535. That will work so keep that one for the time beeing and delete the other two. If you keep the other rules the router will prioritize the wrong stuff and that's why you maybe see higher pings and jitter when you start playing.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Also your QoS configuration rules are off.

TCPUDP 1:65535 to 1024:65535 means that the router prioritizes nearly all traffic coming out of the router so delete that bottom one.

Middle one is also wrong as UDP 3074 to 3074 only prioritizes traffic with the authenticaltion server, not actual game traffic.

Games console prioritizes UDP 1024-65535 to 1024-65535. That will work so keep that one for the time beeing and delete the other two. If you keep the other rules the router will prioritize the wrong stuff and that's why you maybe see higher pings and jitter when you start playing.

In the PingPlotter screenshots up above these rules had been deleted. One of the other guys suggested I do a factory reset and so when i did all those rules went away. I did however resetup the Games Console rule so when i tested earlier both DumaOS Classified games and Games Console were enabled. 

2 hours ago, Bert said:

You have to take that up with your ISP as they are supposed to send you the configuration files when the modem logs in on their network.

I talked with my ISP and they said everything with my modem is configured properly. They said my signal coming into the house was good and within their acceptable ranges. I pay for 300/30 and most of the time get close to 400/40. They also don't have the best customer service so getting them to help with anything is hard. 

My understanding is when the connection benchmark runs it maxes out the connection correct? But when I'm gaming i shouldn't be anywhere near maxing out my connection. QoS should be taking care of all that. Which is what i can't figure out. Could it be something else with my ISP on down the line? They are literally my only option for service.  

• Administrators

Connection Benchmark uses the Google servers as well so the PingPlotter tests you've done is like another Benchmark test, not everyone will ping consistently to Google. Can you try another website such as a local news site for example and see if there is any difference please?

• Administrators

Hard to see the scale there so hard to judge exactly but there is a big spike there which is consistent with what we've seen, I think there are some inherent spikes on your connection even without the router

13 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I talked with my ISP and they said everything with my modem is configured properly. They said my signal coming into the house was good and within their acceptable ranges. I pay for 300/30 and most of the time get close to 400/40. They also don't have the best customer service so getting them to help with anything is hard. 

My understanding is when the connection benchmark runs it maxes out the connection correct? But when I'm gaming i shouldn't be anywhere near maxing out my connection. QoS should be taking care of all that. Which is what i can't figure out. Could it be something else with my ISP on down the line? They are literally my only option for service.  

They make it work but they probably haven't configured any speed profile or traffic shaping, is my guess. That is the same on mine. it should not matter anyway as this should only occur when you are fully loading the connection.

For a ping plot, something you can do is to target 173.25.88.1, that is your ISP first hop, if there is an issue with your equipment it will show there. If that plot is ok then it's further down the network.

The base graph looks like what I would expect (I have the same chipset as yours in my modem, base graph looks identical) and if you are only gaming this should not change. Gaming produces hardly any traffic. 

Issues seem to form when you start generating UDP traffic, which is essentially what happens when you get into a lobby and start playing. The thing that I cannot understand fully is the interaction between UDP traffic and ping plotter. It's actually quite common that UDP traffic gets delayed over TCP traffic by some hops. That's why in game often shows a different latency over what DumaOS shows or what ping plotter shows, the game measures ping live through UDP traffic. But in your case both latency in game goes to sh*t and also ping plotter, which is basicly ICMP ping but in a graphical presentation. I would think it points to a equipment issue with the modem.

Do you have any way of logging into the modem and looking at signal values? Usually you can get in by typing 192.168.100.1

Als have you tried hooking up just the PS5 directly to your modem? This essentially produces NAT1, your PS5 will get a public IP. Then play and see what your ping is. This is just to exclude the router from causing any issues.

Something else I noticed. If you look at your in game shot, it shows ping but also shows in game bandwidth. It's actually showing 49Mbit of bandwidth which is odd as normally this is capped at 4Mbit. I don't know if this is PS5 specific but I found it odd. This test is normally run when you start the game. In your case it maxes out the upload of your connection. This can actually give you ping spikes when you boot up the game but it should be gone by the time you get to matchmaking.