High Ping Under Load

I’m trying to troubleshoot what I think is a bufferbloat problem. I have QoS enabled and set at 70/70. Idle everything works great but as soon as I start gaming I start getting large ping spikes. 200+ and when I run the connection benchmark test my upload ping always spikes way up but idle and download are good. 

Can anyone help troubleshoot this problem?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

We're still improving the Connection Benchmark results so you can take those with a pinch of salt at the moment. Is that the only place you're seeing that or is your ping high/unstable in game and the Geo-Filter?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, [email protected] said:

No my ping is unstable in game and if I run PingPlotter at the same time I see the spikes. I’m playing on a PS5 and running PingPlotter on my Mac both are hardwired to my XR500. 

Follow this guide and use Congestion Control on Always and try different percentages while you download/stream etc to max out your connection and see what percentages give you the best results and then you should be good. 

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, madman123 said:

On ps5 I noticed that if your playing a online game and the console is downloading game update in background that causes massive ping spike. If you pause the download pings drop to normal. 

Does Traffic Prioritization appear to be updating rapidly when that happens? Have you added a custom rule or using DumaOS Classified Games?

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Follow this guide and use Congestion Control on Always and try different percentages while you download/stream etc to max out your connection and see what percentages give you the best results and then you should be good. 

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

My base ping from my ISP is ok. The spikes only happen when I start gaming. Which leads me to believe it has something to do with my setup. My ISP also won't accept PingPlotter results showing a problem they will only accept a Trace Route done directly to the modem. 

• Administrators

I meant the guide more to be a way to indicate what percentages will do the best in eliminating congestion on your network. The guide was more so you could follow how to use PingPlotter. 

Do any of the Traffic Prioritization rules there update rapidly when the console is doing a download?

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I meant the guide more to be a way to indicate what percentages will do the best in eliminating congestion on your network. The guide was more so you could follow how to use PingPlotter. 

Do any of the Traffic Prioritization rules there update rapidly when the console is doing a download?

They update while playing but I don’t know if I would say it’s rapid. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, [email protected] said:

They update while playing but I don’t know if I would say it’s rapid. 

Playing wouldn't be too rapid, but you mentioned when the console is doing a download that is when you lag, when that happens does it seem to update rapidly?

Sorry I may not of explained it very well. I was referring to my ping during the download portion of the Connection Benchmark test. I don't have any downloads running in the background while I'm playing games. I only have one game currently on my PS5 so any game updates happen over night. 

It really seems like with QoS enabled my bandwith is still getting maxed out when I'm gaming even though it shouldn't be. I don't know

10 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

That indicates huge server load, do you always play on the same server? What if you try to force some different servers in Geo-filter, do you have the same issue?

Are all devices in the network connected to the XR500?

Are you using a VPN at all?

From testing I've done the Chicago server offers the least amount of latency. Most of the time i have to expand the radius out to include Dallas and Atlanta or just turn off the geo-filter in order to find games. I have tested just setting the geo-filter to both Dallas and Atlanta but it doesn't make a difference i just get higher ping. 

Yes all devices are connected to the XR500 and i turned everything off to test so just my computer and Playstation were running. 

I have tried a VPN but since I'm on PS5 there isn't really a good way to use a VPN from what i can find. I signed up for express VPN and used their MediaStreamer DNS which didn't work. I downloaded the app on my computer and shared my internet connection with my PS5. I was able to use the VPN to connect to different servers all over New York, Dallas, Seattle but still had the high latency spikes. I also attempted to use their OpenVPN and setup the VPN directly on my XR500 but that didn't work and when I contacted them they said the XR500 wasn't compatible with their OpenVPN file setup. 

18 hours ago, [email protected] said:

From testing I've done the Chicago server offers the least amount of latency. Most of the time i have to expand the radius out to include Dallas and Atlanta or just turn off the geo-filter in order to find games. I have tested just setting the geo-filter to both Dallas and Atlanta but it doesn't make a difference i just get higher ping. 

Yes all devices are connected to the XR500 and i turned everything off to test so just my computer and Playstation were running. 

I have tried a VPN but since I'm on PS5 there isn't really a good way to use a VPN from what i can find. I signed up for express VPN and used their MediaStreamer DNS which didn't work. I downloaded the app on my computer and shared my internet connection with my PS5. I was able to use the VPN to connect to different servers all over New York, Dallas, Seattle but still had the high latency spikes. I also attempted to use their OpenVPN and setup the VPN directly on my XR500 but that didn't work and when I contacted them they said the XR500 wasn't compatible with their OpenVPN file setup. 

OK, could you double check that Hybrid VPN is disabled? If you're going through a VPN that will likely cause a fair increase in ping.

• Administrators

For the VPN you would use a VPN provider configuration file and connect using HybridVPN to then apply it to the console. 

Your issue is very odd, what other settings have you changed? For Traffic Prio remove/disable all but the Games Console one 

13 minutes ago, LanceStout said:

Could anyone help me here??? I’m getting all D results not really sure. My ping got way worse last year after I upgraded firmware for my xr450 

Sure thing! If you could go ahead and create your own topic that'd be great.

In this new topic, could you please detail your current QoS settings (Screenshot is fine) as well as a full page screenshot of the Connection Benchmark?

On 9/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

For the VPN you would use a VPN provider configuration file and connect using HybridVPN to then apply it to the console. 

Your issue is very odd, what other settings have you changed? For Traffic Prio remove/disable all but the Games Console one 

I have tried changing my DNS settings, UPnP on and off, port forwarding, Games Console Enabled/Disabled, VPN