(Resolved) DHCP UPnP/Port forwarding not working

Killerelite06

Resolution: I downloaded the latest R2 firmware flashed it and factory reset immediately after it finished. Left the router/modem off for 24 hours and when I turned it on again it allowed me to port forward/use UPnP.

Setup is Modem-Netduma R2-LAN cable-PS5

Hi everyone I got a new ISP that uses DHCP and so far the only problem I have it doesn't port forward or open ports when using UPnP (worked fine with my old PPPoE). I have tried to factory reset , manually forward the ports , remove the PS5 from the geo filter and restart everything but no luck. If anybody managed to fix a similar problem please let me know.

Side note : After the latest Mac Chrome update some of the text on the Netduma is misaligned until I restart the router or unplug it and plug it back in (fixes everything expect the ping heatmap).

I tested the UPnP/Port Forwarding with another router and it forwards the ports fine so it must be a Netduma problem.

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 12.12.36.png

Edited by Killerelite06

Is it a pure modem or is it a modem/router combo (Wi-Fi capability)? If it's a combo, are you running it in bridge/modem mode? If not, I'd suggest taking the WAN IP of the R2 from System Information, then put this in the modem/router DMZ. 

We're aware of the issue with Chrome, we've fixed it for the next firmware. If it's particularly invasive, let us know and we can provide a hotfix for it.

46 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Is it a pure modem or is it a modem/router combo (Wi-Fi capability)? If it's a combo, are you running it in bridge/modem mode? If not, I'd suggest taking the WAN IP of the R2 from System Information, then put this in the modem/router DMZ. 

We're aware of the issue with Chrome, we've fixed it for the next firmware. If it's particularly invasive, let us know and we can provide a hotfix for it.

Its a pure modem (Gigapoint 801gv2). I just need to specify that I/the ISP dont have access to the modem and I think only the FNO got access to it 

Modem-Asus router-PS5 = UPnP/Port forwarding works

Modem-Netduma R2-PS5 = UPnP/Port forwarding not working

OK thanks for confirming. How are you detecting that UPnP isn't working? Are there no entries appearing in the UPnP table or are you having issues with your NAT type in-game?

If NAT type, could you please disable filtering mode in Geo-filter then reboot your game to check if that's what was causing the problem?

12 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK thanks for confirming. How are you detecting that UPnP isn't working? Are there no entries appearing in the UPnP table or are you having issues with your NAT type in-game?

If NAT type, could you please disable filtering mode in Geo-filter then reboot your game to check if that's what was causing the problem?

It shows moderate NAT in Cold War/Warzone and theres no entries under UPnP on the router.

It also doesn't help if I manually port forward the ports because I still get moderate NAT.

I have already tried disabling the geo filter and even deleting the device with the same result

52 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so it is open, it’s just the game misreading it I think. What port forwarding rule are you using? 

UDP 9308 and UDP 3074

NAT is not open with UPnP or Port forwarding 

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think you’ll need to port forward more such as 3074 to get an open NAT

If you read my previous message I did state that I already forwarded 3074 and it still gave me a moderate NAT.

edit:

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 06.12.22.png

I've tried everything to get an open NAT on CoD/Warzone with my ISP as well with no success for the past couple years.  My Xbox said the NAT was open, but Warzone still shows Moderate NAT.  I've tried UPNP, port forwarding, DMZ, disabling firewalls, tried different routers, gaining modem access (unfortunately there are no settings to change bc my ISP controls the standalone modem).  The only thing I could think of is getting a static IP from them, but I would have to pay extra for it.  I play on PC now and use the Netduma R2, but still have the same issues.

If anyone has any other ways to get open NAT, please let me know!

Thanks and hope you get it figured out!

10 hours ago, Forrestbear said:

I've tried everything to get an open NAT on CoD/Warzone with my ISP as well with no success for the past couple years.  My Xbox said the NAT was open, but Warzone still shows Moderate NAT.  I've tried UPNP, port forwarding, DMZ, disabling firewalls, tried different routers, gaining modem access (unfortunately there are no settings to change bc my ISP controls the standalone modem).  The only thing I could think of is getting a static IP from them, but I would have to pay extra for it.  I play on PC now and use the Netduma R2, but still have the same issues.

add the game to your pc firewall exceptions list.

11 hours ago, Forrestbear said:

what is your isp?

• Killerelite06 changed the title to (Resolved) DHCP UPnP/Port forwarding not working
On 9/4/2021 at 5:40 PM, RedBull2k said:

add the game to your pc firewall exceptions list.

Yes I've tried that also as I've stated that in my comment.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, GBDJG said:

what is your isp?

My ISP is Americable.  We are stationed in Japan and only have one option on base.  They lease their bandwidth from a company here in Japan.  I'm not sure if that's causing a double NAT issue or not.  That's why I'm wondering if I would need a static IP from them.  It really won't matter much longer as we are coming back to the states soon.  Also then I won't have to deal with 130 ms - 200 ms ping (barf) games while trying to play with my friends stateside.  My other option is to play games filled with way more hackers. 😛

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Forrestbear said:

My ISP is Americable.  We are stationed in Japan and only have one option on base.  They lease their bandwidth from a company here in Japan.  I'm not sure if that's causing a double NAT issue or not.  That's why I'm wondering if I would need a static IP from them.  It really won't matter much longer as we are coming back to the states soon.  Also then I won't have to deal with 130 ms - 200 ms ping (barf) games while trying to play with my friends stateside.  My other option is to play games filled with way more hackers. 😛

It's possible they use CG-NAT which is why you're having so much trouble, try this test, if it does come back and say you have that then that will be the issue and a static IP would resolve it. If you don't then it's likely something on the modem you don't have access to.

https://winbuzzer.com/2020/05/29/windows-10-how-to-tell-if-your-isp-uses-carrier-grade-nat-cg-nat-xcxwbt/

11 hours ago, Forrestbear said:

I should have been more clear.  Re check that your pc firewall is allowing it as sometimes when you switch networks, your using a diffrent firewall exceptions list. But if this has already been done then ignore this message.

To be clear, CG-NAT gives you access to a shared range of ports

your lP is shared with 3 other people.

if you don't have the port range where the games specific port is located, you will not be able to have an open nat in the games

many ISPs use this system to save ipv4

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's possible they use CG-NAT which is why you're having so much trouble, try this test, if it does come back and say you have that then that will be the issue and a static IP would resolve it. If you don't then it's likely something on the modem you don't have access to.

https://winbuzzer.com/2020/05/29/windows-10-how-to-tell-if-your-isp-uses-carrier-grade-nat-cg-nat-xcxwbt/

Thank you for the info Fraser. I went through this and it shows I only have 1 line, so they do not run a Carrier Grade NAT.  I am just baffled.  I had a friend who worked for their tech support and him and I tried figuring it out.  He couldn't get his NAT to Open either no matter what he tried.   

I will try to mess around with more firewall settings @Fuzy .

I might just have to keep playing moderate, and when I get back to the U.S., see if I can get open NAT with my new ISP. 

Thank you guys for your help!

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Forrestbear said:

Thank you for the info Fraser. I went through this and it shows I only have 1 line, so they do not run a Carrier Grade NAT.  I am just baffled.  I had a friend who worked for their tech support and him and I tried figuring it out.  He couldn't get his NAT to Open either no matter what he tried.   

I will try to mess around with more firewall settings @Fuzy .

I might just have to keep playing moderate, and when I get back to the U.S., see if I can get open NAT with my new ISP. 

Thank you guys for your help!

If your friend who worked for them can't get it working then it's unlikely we'll be able to without knowledge of what kind of settings their modem uses. Realistically playing on a moderate NAT won't actually degrade your gaming experience, it'll just impact the people you're able to connect to.