Set DNS by dhcp

Id like to be able to set my device dns address via dhcp rather than having the router get queried. 

example

https://emulator.tp-link.com/C9v5_eu_webpages_new/index.html

Advanced>network>internet
Advanced>dhcp server

if I could set it per device, I can use pihole to monitor my network better 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What router would you specifically like this for? If the R2 I can pass it on to our team or for the XR range I'll pass it on to Netgear and see if they can implement it in a future version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same complaint with the R2.  You should be allowed to configure DNS servers for your DHCP clients separate from having to point them at the router for DNS.  I'm glad that you have the DNS override on the WAN network settings page, but that isn't an ideal solution.  The R2 should be able to focus on other functions for the home network besides answering DNS queries.

• Administrators

The router is mostly marketed towards gamers/families where a simple to use interface with powerful features is beneficial, features like these would only be applicable to a handful of customers which is why they've not yet been implemented but we'll certainly look at it for the future

• 2 weeks later...

In the attached image, i could add my own dns server that would get distributed via dhcp vs having to send a dns request to the gateway and then the gateway forwarding on the request to the dns server set on it.

dhcp.PNG

I have my own dns server at my house and would like dhcp to set it because i can then see logging for each device on my dns server. If i just set the dns on my router, i will only see dns queries from my router instead of each individual device. I could also set it manually on my devices but i have about 30 devices on my network and that would be a pain to setup.

To achieve this, i now have to disable dhcp on my router and also have pihole do that.

5 hours ago, teebs said:

I have my own dns server at my house and would like dhcp to set it because i can then see logging for each device on my dns server. If i just set the dns on my router, i will only see dns queries from my router instead of each individual device. I could also set it manually on my devices but i have about 30 devices on my network and that would be a pain to setup.

To achieve this, i now have to disable dhcp on my router and also have pihole do that.

Right OK, thanks for giving us some context! Hopefully it's something that can get added in the future, unfortunately is not our call with Netgear Network Settings.

• 4 weeks later...

But why is that an issue? It's an advantage since you still have DHCP when your router is down.

I can use DHCP from either PiHole or Win 2016 server. The only reason I keep it at my router is that I shut down my servers when I am away from home for longer times. Then people at the house can still use the wifi. Otherwise DHCP from my server would be the obvious choice.

If you run your own DNS servers etc then adding a DHCP service is not a terribly difficult task.