I have searched extensively for a solution on this, and none of the existing solutions resolve my issues.

I am running a NightHawk XR300 on Verizon Fios. My current speeds coming out of the NightHawk fluctuate between 30 and 75mbps. I am paying for 400mbps. I have the CAT cable connected directly to the WAN port on the XR300.

I borrowed a friends Verizon proprietary router and got speeds near 300mbps. I can connect devices directly to the CAT cable and achieve speeds near 400mpbs - when I ran a CAT 5e from the borrowed Verizon router to the XR300, then connected via Wi-Fi to the XR300, I still got 30-75mbps while the Wi-Fi from the Verizon router was pushing near 300.

I am running the most up to date firmware, I have tired disabling QoS, enabling and disabling IPV6, I have tried manually setting the DNS and MAC . . . I have replicated the steps suggested in all of the forum threads that have been resolved to no avail. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely. Please see attached image.

BTW Fraser; I've read through several threads supported by you - big fan of your work!

Also, I've conducted several hard resets of the XR300 in the past 24 hours . . .

Table.PNG

All your connections are wifi and over 2.4Ghz which is the slowest band.

If you want to test speed you should do that via ethernet cable.

If you want more performance at least use 5GHz wifi.

Thanks for the assist Bert.

I don't top 100mpbs even when using the 5GHz channel.  I was able to pull 300mbps over the Verizon 2.4 and 5 Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, running hard wires to the devices is not a long term solution - the PCs don't have the ports, and the XBOX/TV are no where near an outlet (it would mean running wires across the floor) - When I do run a LAN from my XR300 to my XBOX - I still don't get more than 100 - but if I hook the XBOX directly into the main cable (my Verizon service does not require a modem - I can hook directly to the ethernet coming out of the wall), I get nearly 400mpbs - clearly there is something in the XR300 that is throttling the speed.

Sorry I made that so difficult . . . does this have all the data you're looking for?
The only electronic device near the router is the ONT box.

full.PNG

• Administrators

Haha no worries, that's it thank you. Can you re-enable QoS please and as a test make a Traffic Prio rule for a device:

Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP

and then see what speeds you get

All devices are connected to the XR300. As far as I know - there is no "upstream" device (modem/router). I'm not exactly sure how they have it all configured, but I don't need a modem or router at all. I can connect a device directly to the CAT cable coming out of the wall in the laundry room and it will have full speed (nearly 300 mbps). When I connected a friends verizon router to that cable the 2.4 and 5GHz connection was nearly 300mpbs. When the XR300 is connected to that cable it never gets above 100mbps. 

I have IPv6 disabled, and a single VLAN group created at pri 1 for all ports and all wireless. I have tried enabling IPv6 to auto, with no effect. The VLAN group increased my speeds by about 10mbps . . . so I left it in place.

advancedWireless.PNG

What is the actual negotiated link speed under adapter properties on the PC?

For 2,4 GHz the XR routers switch back from 40MHz channel width to 20Mhz channel width if they detect some kind of interference. There is no warning for that, I check it with NetSpot to see if I have interference and see what my channel width is. You can actually prevent this from happening by switching off 20/40MHz coexistance.

I borrowed my buddies Verizon G3100 again, have it plugged in as the primary with a CAT 5e LAN connection to the XR300 WAN port. I am now able to pull upwards of 300mbps through the XR300. But if I connect the XR300 directly to the main cable coming out of the wall . . .  I drop back down to 80mbps . . . . 

Also, I am now unable to reach the XR300 admin page/DumaOS. I have tried the IP given via my connection properties (same as what I get frim ipconfig - just incase someone was thinking what I was thinking), myrouterlogin.net, and myrouterlogin.com. All of them take me to the "https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom/" page that tells me I may not be connected to my routers Wi-Fi network . . .

I have run in to this a couple times in the past few days, usually I unplug the router for a few minutes and it resolves it, but not the case now, I assume it's caused by the fact that the XR300 is now getting an IP from the G3100 - but I don't know how to resolve this.