XR1000 - QoS/Traffic Prior not working

Congestion control - Doesn't work over WiFi. I used the native connection benchmarker, DSL reports, and speedtest.net. While the native benchmarker seemed unreliable, DSL reports and speedtest gave similar results. I could only get this feature to work over Ethernet (tested on two laptops with different OS's).

QoS - Doesn't work over WiFi. I could not get this to work with the application manager, the categories don't display accurate info (for eg. playing ESO it categorizies the traffic as either unkown or uncategoized rather than gaming). It feels as if the device manager works, I say this because I'm not sure how to aquire the data as proof.

Traffic Prior - I could not get this to work no matter what I have tried. I tried manually configuring ports, leaving it at default, and setting all ports to a device and I can't get the packet counter to record anything and no red light. I treid this over WiFi and Ethernet with no effect. Any ideas are welcome at this point.

I'm open to any help and I'm more than willing to try/test any suggestions. Thank You in advance!

Qos.thumb.png.8eb1f2f112436852f8525b8ce0fa9b12.pngTraaffic_Prior.thumb.png.40f87f66037b5bb0db982e3a0089c6e8.png

This is the setup that I was using when gaming, everything in my house is connected via WiFi except the printer which is connected via Ethernet. The only two games that my wife and I play are Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online which are on laptops.

For the congestion control I used  speedtest.net with CC turned off to find my speeds, this was fairly close to paid speeds. The native connection benchmark and DSL reports were used to find the "sweet spot" for CC. All this was done over Ethernet, because I could not get CC to work over WiFi (speeds just would not obey even when set to 35% down and up).

For QoS I know little about how to effectively test this, so it really comes down to how the game felt at the time with whatever setting I was using. I found that the above settings gave acceptable gaming results. The application allocation seemed to be less effective than device allocation.

Traffic Prioritization I simply couldn't get to work regardless of leaving at default, prioritizing all ports on the device, or manually setting only the required ports for the application on the device. I tried this on both laptops both over WiFi and Ethernet to no avail, I suspect this has something to do with the network monitor miss categorizing net traffic but...

I'm only using the 5ghz band over WiFi 5 (AC), AX has been disabled since I dual boot my machine with Win/Arch, and as the time being Wifi 6 is unsupported at this time in Arch Linux.

10 minutes ago, blkmage said:

Qos.thumb.png.8eb1f2f112436852f8525b8ce0fa9b12.pngTraaffic_Prior.thumb.png.40f87f66037b5bb0db982e3a0089c6e8.png 101.15 kB · 0 downloads

This is the setup that I was using when gaming, everything in my house is connected via WiFi except the printer which is connected via Ethernet. The only two games that my wife and I play are Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online which are on laptops.

For the congestion control I used  speedtest.net with CC turned off to find my speeds, this was fairly close to paid speeds. The native connection benchmark and DSL reports were used to find the "sweet spot" for CC. All this was done over Ethernet, because I could not get CC to work over WiFi (speeds just would not obey even when set to 35% down and up).

For QoS I know little about how to effectively test this, so it really comes down to how the game felt at the time with whatever setting I was using. I found that the above settings gave acceptable gaming results. The application allocation seemed to be less effective than device allocation.

Traffic Prioritization I simply couldn't get to work regardless of leaving at default, prioritizing all ports on the device, or manually setting only the required ports for the application on the device. I tried this on both laptops both over WiFi and Ethernet to no avail, I suspect this has something to do with the network monitor miss categorizing net traffic but...

I'm only using the 5ghz band over WiFi 5 (AC), AX has been disabled since I dual boot my machine with Win/Arch, and as the time being Wifi 6 is unsupported at this time in Arch Linux.

Y no traffic prio? u didn’t like it?

53 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

By QoS are you referring to Bandwidth Allocation?

Have you got Armor enabled?

Have you disabled WMM in Advanced Wireless settings?

Armor.png.761a16e5b31316cb38cc193c3855ea5a.pngWireless.thumb.png.972be56f08edc078a7d844088918e2cb.png

I don't see anything about WMM here, unless it's this Beamforming feature? And yes, the bandwidth allocation.

3 hours ago, blkmage said:

Armor.png.761a16e5b31316cb38cc193c3855ea5a.pngWireless.thumb.png.972be56f08edc078a7d844088918e2cb.png

I don't see anything about WMM here, unless it's this Beamforming feature? And yes, the bandwidth allocation.

Fraser, xr1000 has no wmm feature. Maybe it’s enabled by default and messing w the current QoS?

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

What game are you playing that you're trying to prioritise? Which ports did you manually prioritise when you added your own custom rule?

Steam

• 27000 - 27100 UDP/TCP
  • 4379 - 4380 UDP/TCP
  • 3478 UDP

Neverwinter

• 7000 - 7500 TCP

ESO

• uses ports from steam above

• Administrators
11 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

Fraser, xr1000 has no wmm feature. Maybe it’s enabled by default and messing w the current QoS?

We want it to be enabled otherwise it can cause QoS not to work correctly so you're right it will be enabled by default.

9 minutes ago, blkmage said:

Steam

• 27000 - 27100 UDP/TCP
  • 4379 - 4380 UDP/TCP
  • 3478 UDP

Neverwinter

• 7000 - 7500 TCP

ESO

• uses ports from steam above

Are you using IPv6, PPPoE, VLAN, DHCP identifers at all for your connection?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We want it to be enabled otherwise it can cause QoS not to work correctly so you're right it will be enabled by default.

Are you using IPv6, PPPoE, VLAN, DHCP identifers at all for your connection?

IPv6 and VLAN are disabled, and I'm not using PPPoE. I do have a DHCP server running.

I ran ESO again with these settings and it seemed more responsive than anything I've tried so far. Perhaps it has more to do with my internet speed than with the router?

CC.thumb.png.d40d80d383ea82bd33424ea8bcdce5f8.pngTP.thumb.png.3ded15a694f472cbad8dca5984afab69.png

However, the TP packet counter still seems off, ignore the Duma Classified settings as this was off during gaming. This was after around 3hrs of gaming, surely it should've prioritized more than 600 - 800 packets, right?

• Administrators

By DHCP server do you mean handled by the router or something like PiHole instead?

Yeah it should have been more than that, that port is generally not used for main game traffic though which may be why. For ESO add these additional rules:

TCP/UDP Dest: 24100-24507, 4380

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

By DHCP server do you mean handled by the router or something like PiHole instead?

Yeah it should have been more than that, that port is generally not used for main game traffic though which may be why. For ESO add these additional rules:

TCP/UDP Dest: 24100-24507, 4380

Yeah, native DHCP server on the router, so far I don't have a need for any third party software/hardware for networking. I already have port 4380 set, I'll set the additional port range for ESO and update soon as server maintenance ends.

I just reread the ESO site for required ports and I feel like an idiot. I got Traffic Prioritization to work with Neverwinter not really sure what changed other than power cycling the modem and router after an internet drop (which happens far more than it should, I suspect a weak signal to the modem is the cause for that). I'm sure that when server maintenance ends on ESO that I'll have a fine time with the added port range.

• Administrators

Okay great, keep us posted on that!

Congestion Control really should be working though. Do you have anything connected behind the XR such as a switch or AP that devices are connected to or is it all just direct to the router?

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay great, keep us posted on that!

Congestion Control really should be working though. Do you have anything connected behind the XR such as a switch or AP that devices are connected to or is it all just direct to the router?

Everything is directly connected to the router.

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On the affected wireless devices can you make sure using randomized/private MAC addresses is disabled please and see if they work correctly then with QoS?

Random MAC addresses are disabled for both devices.

Traffic Prioritization for ESO is working with the addition of port range you suggested.

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On the affected wireless devices can you make sure using randomized/private MAC addresses is disabled please and see if they work correctly then with QoS?

Any new Xr1000 FWs to try?

9 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK great, so Traffic prio is now working, that's good to hear!

What devices exactly aren't obeying CC? Are these the laptops that you're gaming on?

Both laptops don't obey CC settings over WiFi, however both work fine over Ethernet. I'll run some more tests with them and a few other devices in the morning (don't wanna test at peak hours), got home later than expected from running errands today. I'll update soon as I get the results.