considering the AX5400? What do you guys consider the best duma device?

bbursley

Does anyone out there have this router? I have the very original netduma R1, but have since moved into a larger household, and have not connected the R1, but I know its outdated and i might as well be upgrading at this point. I just wanted to know what is considered the top of the line Duma routers now, since ive been away for quite a while and have honestly stopped playing cod, but...im back 😆. I have played COD CW with a congested network, and no filtering and my lobbies are OK. Managing to get streaks pretty easily every few rounds, but whats killing me the most isnt SBMM, its the hit detection. Some lobbies have felt great, while others give me no hope in the world, and while I still manage to do alright, I am like most of you out there and am still seeking for more, and to optimize my end for the best experience possible. So yeah, let me know what you all think about the routers, I def missed that QoS duma offers and filtering.

The XR1000 is a WiFi 6 router based on a 3 core processor. It’s based on the RAX50 so it’s mid tier in the AX range but is the only WiFi 6 router to have Duma at the moment.

If you have devices that support AX then it’s a good choice however you also have the XR500 and the R2. The R2 does have all the features on board unlike the the range of Netgear routers so it’s worth thinking about what your network needs or what you require and how best to approach it.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:28 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Good advice above, if you could provide more details regarding your home/network needs we can perhaps help to pick the perfect router for you

large household, 200Mbit down 20Mbit upload cable connection! multiple playstation and I am the only xbox console. 

6 hours ago, bbursley said:

large household, 200Mbit down 20Mbit upload cable connection! multiple playstation and I am the only xbox console. 

What do you currently use to ensure Wi-Fi covers the entire household? Do you have any extenders or access points currently in place? Any other networking equipment such as switches currently in use?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
35 minutes ago, bbursley said:

I think there is one extender, but I personally use a powerline adapter to connect my xbox directly to the router, and it works pretty well. 

If you don't require AX then I think the XR500 will give your faster speeds at longer ranges IMO

To be fairly honest the naming of these routers seems to get more confusing every time.

R1 = original OG. Outdated wifi but if you have no need for wifi they actually still work pretty well. Also handy if you set it in DMZ of a bigger router and just run your gaming devices on it so you can use geofiltering.

XR300 = budget version of it's bigger brothers

R2 = New product, fastest software updates. But not as powerfull as the XR500

XR500 = Allround powerful router

XR700 = The old flagship. A strange product that was it's time ahead in some ways. You can connect a 10Gbe NAS or trunk to a 10Gbe switch. And you can use link aggregation to a NAS or PC or other switch. Plus better media server options. If you don't use these features a XR500 would have done just as well. What has held this back a bit IMHO is the absence of a 2nd SFP slot. Because as it stands now you can run internet speeds exceeding 1Gbit but you can't trunk this to the rest of your network, or be stuck at 1Gbit internet but you can trunk to a 10Gbit network. Using SFP+ transcievers etc gets a little too complicated for the average home user.

XR1000 = The follow up to XR500?  You get wifi 6 but a bit less raw processing power.

I find it strange that Netgear hasn't continued the connectivity options of the XR700 with the XR1000. Because 10Gbe networking is becoming more and more affordable. This reflected in the price point though that is just slightly above the XR500 while a XR700 sells for a lot more than a XR1000. XR1000 seems to be aimed at users in a single appartment or small households that use wifi for most of their devices.

On the hardware side how does the 1,5GHz tri core in the XR1000 stack up to the 1,7GHz dual core in the XR500? I have seen posts from Killhippie suggesting that the 1,5GHz tricore has one core reserved for DPI while the XR500 has a separate SoC for DPI.

Okay great, 

On 5/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

If you don't require AX then I think the XR500 will give your faster speeds at longer ranges IMO

Oh okay great, so really the only difference is the AX capability and just the style of the router? Seems crazy to pay extra for features ill never need. I just have the ISP router, and I know the experience is usually bumped up by eliminating it. Ive also noticed a 6ms jitter at the point of router when using ping plotter, and it could explain my dodgy connection, otherwise when its working functionally its fine, but....when its more consistent than not, its a major issue. Obviously jitter like that is going to absolutely destroy the gaming experience. 

On 5/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Also, how does Duma OS 3.0 work out on the XR500? Or is it not available, I really am behind on updates since its been a longggg time since ive been around here 😄

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, bbursley said:

Okay great, 

Oh okay great, so really the only difference is the AX capability and just the style of the router? Seems crazy to pay extra for features ill never need. I just have the ISP router, and I know the experience is usually bumped up by eliminating it. Ive also noticed a 6ms jitter at the point of router when using ping plotter, and it could explain my dodgy connection, otherwise when its working functionally its fine, but....when its more consistent than not, its a major issue. Obviously jitter like that is going to absolutely destroy the gaming experience. 

I believe so yes, if you got the 1000 now then the AX would be more future proof but the XR500 is still a very solid router.

51 minutes ago, bbursley said:

Also, how does Duma OS 3.0 work out on the XR500? Or is it not available, I really am behind on updates since its been a longggg time since ive been around here 😄

It's currently in beta but in a fairly stable state so you can upgrade to that by going here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma