Congestion Control 70 percent?

omieahmad98

Hey I just got a Netduma R2. I was wondering why should the congestion control be set at 70 percent of your internet? I have 1 gig down and upload so docking off 300 is a bit right? Please let me know what I should do, thanks!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It's our recommended starting point yes but we suggest people find what works best for them. With your speeds you don't really need to do that as you're unlikely to experience local congestion. You can also set it to Auto Enable so it only applies when gaming where you barely need any bandwidth. The reason it works that way is to prevent your connection becoming saturated by preventing a % of the connection being used

Ok, that makes sense. Ill just keep it at 1000 on control congestion. As for QOS, what would you reccommend for my ps4 and pc? these are my 2 mains devices on the net as i play/stream. This is what I have set to now but please let me know if I should change something. 

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

• Administrators

You can leave Bandwidth Allocation at default, as share excess is enabled it will give bandwidth to the devices that need it the most and as mentioned gaming barely uses any bandwidth, less than 1Mbps in most cases so doesn't need ~450Mbps. 

The Traffic Prio is fine, Classified Games would cover it but the rule is fine.

It depends on your in-game experience really, if you're experiencing any lag or packet loss in-game you may find that limiting your bandwidth and enabling QoS will be useful, but if you're not getting these symptoms then you don't necessarily need to use it.

• 4 weeks later...

You should really test it but usually a FTTH fiber line is not very prone to bufferbloat.

Question to Netduma team is can we get a better description of what various Traffic Prioritization rules do? Ie what is covered in stuff like WorkAtHome and such. Also what does the selector for 'Apply to WAN' do?

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Bert said:

You should really test it but usually a FTTH fiber line is not very prone to bufferbloat.

Question to Netduma team is can we get a better description of what various Traffic Prioritization rules do? Ie what is covered in stuff like WorkAtHome and such. Also what does the selector for 'Apply to WAN' do?

If you click the ? icon next to Work At Home for example it will tell you what it covers e.g.

image.png

Apply to WAN applies the same priority information tags to packets going out to the ISP. The ISP may just ignore these tags, but you may see a performance improvement through using these tags.

You mean 802.1p/DSCP tags?

Does that mean they are also supported on the internal network? Ie managed switches have the possibility to run in port based mode or run 802.1p tags. It matters actually since some unmanaged switches will still use these tags, ie Netgear ProSafe XS508M.

Also sadly we don't have the ? button on XR500 .120 beta.

Just to clarify, It would not do much for console users other than applying QoS across the entire network on inbound traffic, but for PC users there is ways to add these tags from their system so basicly you could run end to end QoS if your switches support this.

I think it's a bit academic but I like tinkering with stuff lol.

• Netduma Staff

Hi @Bert, I''m a developer that works on that area

You mean 802.1p/DSCP tags?

Yes, that's right.

Just to clarify, It would not do much for console users other than applying QoS across the entire network on inbound traffic, but for PC users there is ways to add these tags from their system so basicly you could run end to end QoS if your switches support this.

This is a very good idea, in fact we wrote a piece of software that does this on Windows, we are in the process of getting our code signing certificate approved by Microsoft - on that note, would you like to be a beta tester once its through?

1 minute ago, Netduma Kacper said:

Hi @Bert, I''m a developer that works on that area

Yes, that's right.

This is a very good idea, in fact we wrote a piece of software that does this on Windows, we are in the process of getting our code signing certificate approved by Microsoft - on that note, would you like to be a beta tester once its through?

Hi @Netduma Kacper

Yes for sure.

You can add DSCP tags through windows registry manually but having a tool maks it a lot easier.

As it is now, are DSCP tags kept on inbound traffic to LAN?

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Bert said:

Yes for sure.

Cool, we will let you know once it is ready.

3 hours ago, Bert said:

You can add DSCP tags through windows registry manually but having a tool maks it a lot easier.

Yeah, the current windows solution isn't very convenient.

3 hours ago, Bert said:

As it is now, are DSCP tags kept on inbound traffic to LAN?

We don't modify those tags outside of the user defined prio rules so they should be preserved on the forward path (on packets not destined to the router), including traffic between devices on your LAN.

What I actually meant specifically, do these tags get added by the traffic prio rules, and are they kept on traffic going from the router to LAN?

• Netduma Staff
23 minutes ago, Bert said:

What I actually meant specifically, do these tags get added by the traffic prio rules, and are they kept on traffic going from the router to LAN?

All inbound traffic (between devices and from WAN to LAN) matching a given prio rule will get tagged. This will also applies to outbound traffic if you select 'Apply to WAN'.
Hope that answers your question, please rephrase if I missed something.

• 7 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 10:10 AM, Netduma Kacper said:

We don't modify those tags outside of the user defined prio rules so they should be preserved on the forward path (on packets not destined to the router), including traffic between devices on your LAN.

Hey Kacper. I’ve been talking about DSCP tagging and 802.1p priority with Bert for a week or so now…. I see my ISPs router, within the manual does use the same behavior (Fios).

I wanted to ask if the DSCP tool was ready? I’d love to beta test. 

Also, as far as QoS goes, for 802.1p and DSCP to work, does QoS need to be enabled within duma os? Or will the router still give priority if it detects the priorities of the packets spit out from Windows 10.

Also, do you recommend we keep both QoS packet Scheduler on and Packet Prioirty within the Ethernet adapter settings??

Thanks! 

On 5/21/2021 at 10:10 AM, Netduma Kacper said:

Hey Kacper. I’ve been talking about DSCP tagging and 802.1p priority with Bert for a week or so now…. I see my ISPs router, within the manual does use the same behavior (Fios).

I wanted to ask if the DSCP tool was ready? I’d love to beta test. 

Also, as far as QoS goes, for 802.1p and DSCP to work, does QoS need to be enabled within duma os? Or will the router still give priority if it detects the priorities of the packets spit out from Windows 10.

Also, do you recommend we keep both QoS packet Scheduler on and Packet Prioirty within the Ethernet adapter settings??

Thanks! 

@Bert lmk if u can answer 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, Netduma Kacper said:

All inbound traffic (between devices and from WAN to LAN) matching a given prio rule will get tagged. This will also applies to outbound traffic if you select 'Apply to WAN'.
Hope that answers your question, please rephrase if I missed something.

Any word on this?

if attach a DSCP TAG of 46 or EF from my windows Device, is it preserved on the router? Does QoS on the router need to be enabled for this to happen? 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

Any word on this?

if attach a DSCP TAG of 46 or EF from my windows Device, is it preserved on the router? Does QoS on the router need to be enabled for this to happen? 

I believe you spoke to Iain on Twitter who gave you an answer is that right?

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I believe you spoke to Iain on Twitter who gave you an answer is that right?

Yes on the DSCP part. 

Kacper says y’all use 802.1p.

Should that be enabled on my adapter?

And now Iain says they don’t mangle packets, I’m assuming no.

why is there a contradiction? It’s a yes or no question that not damaging to y’all in anyway?? I’m just trying to optimize the adapter settings since y’all haven’t made a vid on it yet

• Administrators
4 hours ago, CRarsenxL said:

Yes on the DSCP part. 

Kacper says y’all use 802.1p.

Should that be enabled on my adapter?

And now Iain says they don’t mangle packets, I’m assuming no.

why is there a contradiction? It’s a yes or no question that not damaging to y’all in anyway?? I’m just trying to optimize the adapter settings since y’all haven’t made a vid on it yet

You don't need to adjust anything on the adapter, looks like you might get something from us though!