Geo-Filter will not load

Good Morning, 

I have had this issue for a long time now. I've posted on here a few times about this. So I have a XR500 router on the latest version 3.0 software. Every single page on the router will load within 10-15 seconds of waiting but the geo-filter just will not open. I either get a R-app is not responding error or it will just not load and I get a blank red background screen. Only way to fix this for me is to power down the router, leave it for 10-15 minutes and then reboot. But that is ridiculous if you need do that every time on a £250 pound router but of lately we have had to do this more frequently then normal. Around 4-5 times in a 5-6 hours gaming session.  Also i have changed the Rapp panel option to  5 retries. But that does not help all.

Just FYI when I upgraded to the Version 3.0 I upgraded the firmware and then I did a factory reset on the router like I told to in the instructions. I work with network equipment all day everyday and this router is one of the most frustrating pieces of equipment ever. I actually feel sorry for net duma trying to support this router and Net gear just dont want to know about any issues. I contacted them over the weekend and I was told by there support I had to pay £150 pound for a support contract before there can even look at the issue.  

7 hours ago, Dialatech said:

Good Morning, 

I have had this issue for a long time now. I've posted on here a few times about this. So I have a XR500 router on the latest version 3.0 software. Every single page on the router will load within 10-15 seconds of waiting but the geo-filter just will not open. I either get a R-app is not responding error or it will just not load and I get a blank red background screen. Only way to fix this for me is to power down the router, leave it for 10-15 minutes and then reboot. But that is ridiculous if you need do that every time on a £250 pound router but of lately we have had to do this more frequently then normal. Around 4-5 times in a 5-6 hours gaming session.  Also i have changed the Rapp panel option to  5 retries. But that does not help all.

Just FYI when I upgraded to the Version 3.0 I upgraded the firmware and then I did a factory reset on the router like I told to in the instructions. I work with network equipment all day everyday and this router is one of the most frustrating pieces of equipment ever. I actually feel sorry for net duma trying to support this router and Net gear just dont want to know about any issues. I contacted them over the weekend and I was told by there support I had to pay £150 pound for a support contract before there can even look at the issue.  

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Could you please try going to System Information -> Installed Rapps -> Click the three line menu and set the amount of retries to 5.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Could you please try going to System Information -> Installed Rapps -> Click the three line menu and set the amount of retries to 5.

Sorry Liam but if you actually read the post again you would have read that ive already got this set to 5

15 minutes ago, Dialatech said:

Sorry Liam but if you actually read the post again you would have read that ive already got this set to 5

That's strange, for some reason that specific piece of text where you says that is white. Nevermind.

Are you experiencing this issue across all browsers? Have you tried clearing your cache or using the interface in an incognito window?

17 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's strange, for some reason that specific piece of text where you says that is white. Nevermind.

Are you experiencing this issue across all browsers? Have you tried clearing your cache or using the interface in an incognito window?

I dont know why the text is in white but like you say nevermind ha

Yeah I get this issue regardless of browser and if its in Incognito mode aswell.

• Administrators

By latest beta do you mean .114?

Could you reinstall the latest firmware using TFTP please? This will bypass the boot process and any issues there, then do a factory reset from the interface. That will give you the freshest install possible and hopefully eliminate any issues like this: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

I have reinstalled the Firmware using TFTP Method  and then a factory reset from the interface... Working great..1 Hour in try to get into the geo-filter page.. Not loading.

I would say this is around the 5-6th time i have reinstalled the firmware this year.

• Administrators

Could you let me know your exact physical setup as well as the devices you're using please? Sometimes issues like these that persist through firmware versions can be attributed to the setup/devices - not their fault specifically.

58 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you let me know your exact physical setup as well as the devices you're using please? Sometimes issues like these that persist through firmware versions can be attributed to the setup/devices - not their fault specifically.

Virgin media Super Hub in modem mode - ------ XR500 --- PC

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What other devices do you have connected to the router? Are there any devices that wouldn't be considered the normal, laptop, phones etc?

Wireless on the XR500 is disabled due to me using Cisco Access Points. There is only 2 cables going into the XR500. one of them is from my Modem and the other one is for my Computer. 

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Presumably the devices connecting to the APs show as individual devices on the Device Manager? If so what devices are they?

Yes the devices show in Device manager. 

The devices are anything from laptops to Amazon Shows, Amazon smart plugs. Smart watches, Nintendo Switch's.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay interesting, is there anything within 6 feet or so of the AP or router that produces a wireless signal - even a remote control for example?

I have a Harmony remote control which is in the same room as my AP but its not within 6 feet

• Administrators

You could try moving that away temporarily and see if you notice a difference. Could you have a look at the logs on the router when it happens and see if there is any entries around the same time/referencing it please?

• Administrators

Do you have any parts of the Geo-Filter page pinned to the dashboard by any chance? If so can you unpin all that please and see if it prevents the issue?

The log entries would be around the time the remote was used, it wouldn't necessarily say the device name, more so referencing the Rapp failing

On 3/12/2021 at 12:05 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have any parts of the Geo-Filter page pinned to the dashboard by any chance? If so can you unpin all that please and see if it prevents the issue?

The log entries would be around the time the remote was used, it wouldn't necessarily say the device name, more so referencing the Rapp failing

I only have 1 item pinned to the dashboard and thats the connection status...Today I used to remove the remote from the environment and disconnect it from the network altogether. 

No difference at all. Geo-Filters just does not load. 

• Administrators

Okay thank you. Would it be possible to have the XR500 at the end of your setup so for example modem/router > another router (if using pure modem) > XR500 and just have your PC or whatever you use to access the interface and your console connected with everything else using the other router? If so we can then narrow it down to what may be causing it

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thank you. Would it be possible to have the XR500 at the end of your setup so for example modem/router > another router (if using pure modem) > XR500 and just have your PC or whatever you use to access the interface and your console connected with everything else using the other router? If so we can then narrow it down to what may be causing it

Unfortunately That's not possible. I only have my Super Hub which is in Modem Mode and the XR500 available at this time.  

• Administrators

I think it must be something connected to it that for some reason the router isn't liking - the issue does happen but it should in no way be this prevalent and appear so quickly after reboot/reset. We'll continue looking into it and improving upon it but there isn't anything I can advise that would resolve it at the moment unfortunately. If you still have warranty which it sounds like you don't then I would've suggested getting a replacement.