XR500 Beta Feedback..

Hello @Netduma Fraser.. Im on the most current firmware and just wanted to share some of the issues ive discovered thus far.. There likely is already reports on Netgears site about some of these.. As im not signed up over there I will just report here quick.. If you need to lock this thread after I totally understand..

IPV6 DNS wont allow me to change them.. Even when changing them they dont change.. Example like using Google or Cloudflare..

I get an Open and then Moderate NAT type on my Xbox with IPV6 enabled.. That is with no port forwarding and no upnp or using the DMZ feature.. One really should be getting a Open NAT with IPV6 regardless as you know.. .104 beta firmware did allow this and worked fine except it had its own issues..

I still get this Unnamed Device in Device Manager.. But the strange thing is if I delete it after the router has fully setup with all devices reporting and then go and delete the Unnamed Device for some odd reason the performance of Devices across the board get a strange performance issue.. All devices are slow at whatever they do.. The performance seemed fine until I deleted this Unnamed Device..

TP Ive mentioned this issue before as well but I dont think I need to go over that..

As you know im a big fan of IPv6.. This is a suggestion not only for Netgear but also for Netduma as well.. In the IPV6 section one should also have a separate place for MTU value just for IPV6.. Other routers have this for a good reason and if you need me to explain more on why I will be more then happy to do so.. This a critical feature that can help in so many ways.. Technically IPV4 would have its own and IPV6 would have its own.. Again other routers do have this like ASUS for example..

I havent dug into the QoS yet but im going to shake it down for bugs as well.. As im fairly sure I will get something to pop up..

I do notice that once a factory reset has been performed the router performs its best.. But over the course of a few days things degrade.. Until another factory reset is performed then things seem well again.. This is something ive noticed and without making any changes during that time.. It just degrades for whatever reason..

If you want to make a internal ticket for the IPV6 DNS that would be great.. That is really disappointing that one cant change them as its been a issue for sometime now on the beta.. Im sure this is a Netgear issue though..

Now with the above stated all in all this has been the most stable beta firmware to date.. So its not all bad.. 

If you have any questions at all on anything you need more info on ask away!

Thanks Fraser!

Zippy.

Thanks Fraser! I know you guys are working very hard.. Keep up the good work! :) 

I know my details above are not detailed but if you need more info just let me know..

I was able to try out QoS a bit tonight and I dont think CC is working.. When I adjust my sliders lower connection benchmark doesnt show this.. My ping underload doesnt go down..  At first I thought it might be a problem with connection benchmark not reporting properly but I think its actually CC.. Usually when I lower my sliders even my Xbox would report lower bandwidth on both up and down.. But im showing full speeds yet.. Even when set to Always..

On a positive note though on this firmware I am able to disable all of QoS and it is all greyed out.. Prior firmwares when I went to disable it it wouldnt disable and I was able to still add TP rules and the bandwidth distribution I was still allowed to change.. This latest firmware once I disable all of QoS I cant adjust anything.. Which I believe is what you guys intended or how its suppose to work..

I should also add that I did do a full factory reset after any new firmware.. Just so you know I have done that before any of my testing..

Thanks!

Zippy.

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, thanks for the additional info! What result is ping under load stuck at? 

Morning Liam!/afternoon to you..  Basically the ping underload doesnt change when I move my sliders down in CC.. So example would be it shows theres no effect from using 100% or if I lowered them to 50% ping underload stays the same.. Usually just moving them in 10% increments the ping underload would change and go down to match ping at idle in Connection Benchmark..

Thanks!

Zippy.

• 1 month later...

Hey @Netduma Fraser.. I have a question in regards to the XR500 with IPV6.. I notice that if I let the Auto detect what type of IPV6 connection I have it comes up with DHCP.. Is that the same as a Native connection? The reason I ask is I find it strange that the XR500 comes up with this.. And when I hook my ASUS up it comes up with Native IPV6.. And the ASUS also has a DHCP setting as well but I am a Native connection.. So the ASUS picks the correct setting.. But the XR500 is coming up with DHCP... So what im asking is what type of connection is Native in the XR500? Currently they dont offer a Native option for connection..

Thanks!

Zippy.

Thanks Fraser! I will investigate this more.. Is there away to get away from DHCP? Im assuming the DHCP is using the XRs DHCP.. Which would be fine but the DHCP is constantly changing..  Another thing I was going to ask was I noticed out of the clear blue the XR500 started to show DOS attacks.. But I know there nothing to worry about.. But the attacks are coming from MS servers.. Which again I know is a false DOS Attack..  But when that happens the port becomes filtered for safety concerns.. Wouldnt that also cause strange performance in my gaming?

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators

It uses Router Advertisements to get the gateway address so it's different from the router using DHCP to give devices local addresses. Your public IPv6 address is changing, I can see on Feb 10th from two of your posts here that they changed between posts and so the router should be accounting for that. Is it causing disconnects? What ports are getting filtered?

I will quick send you a log file.. In there you will notice these.. The strange thing is the XR500 was fine for days on end.. But then my MSN home page would only half load.. Which is owned by MS.. Give me one sec and I will send the file.. Its like the XR500 started just randomly doing this.. Before my log were free and clear of these.. 

Thanks Fraser!

Zippy..

• Administrators

Ah I see yeah, you got some on ports 80 & 443 amongst others, that would explain the site not loading correctly. In WAN Settings, click Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection and then untick Respond to Ping on Internet port and see if that resolves it please. 

Yes you noticed that too! I will try what you have mentioned above.. You have any idea why out of the clear blue it would do this.. So strange really..

Thanks Fraser!

Zippy.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Yes you noticed that too! I will try what you have mentioned above.. You have any idea why out of the clear blue it would do this.. So strange really..

Thanks Fraser!

Zippy.

I've never actually seen it have negative effects like this before. Have you done a Windows update today either knowingly or perhaps in the background? Could you double check, in Windows Settings > Update & Security > Delivery Optimization whether you've got the option to allow downloading updates from PCs on the internet? I can only think that as it happened suddenly that there is like an update on some MS device, PC, Xbox etc that caused it. The only reason I suspect it would be using so many different ports is if it was downloading from others online for example. If not then I have no idea!

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've never actually seen it have negative effects like this before. Have you done a Windows update today either knowingly or perhaps in the background? Could you double check, in Windows Settings > Update & Security > Delivery Optimization whether you've got the option to allow downloading updates from PCs on the internet? I can only think that as it happened suddenly that there is like an update on some MS device, PC, Xbox etc that caused it. The only reason I suspect it would be using so many different ports is if it was downloading from others online for example. If not then I have no idea!

I will check into that as well Fraser! Thanks for all your help! I guess my question is why would the XR500 start to block these updates if they are from a known and trusted site like MS.. Doesnt that seem odd to you?

Anyway I will look into all of this!

Thanks again!

Zippy.

On 2/10/2021 at 5:11 AM, Zippy said:

Thanks Fraser! I know you guys are working very hard.. Keep up the good work! :) 

I know my details above are not detailed but if you need more info just let me know..

I was able to try out QoS a bit tonight and I dont think CC is working.. When I adjust my sliders lower connection benchmark doesnt show this.. My ping underload doesnt go down..  At first I thought it might be a problem with connection benchmark not reporting properly but I think its actually CC.. Usually when I lower my sliders even my Xbox would report lower bandwidth on both up and down.. But im showing full speeds yet.. Even when set to Always..

On a positive note though on this firmware I am able to disable all of QoS and it is all greyed out.. Prior firmwares when I went to disable it it wouldnt disable and I was able to still add TP rules and the bandwidth distribution I was still allowed to change.. This latest firmware once I disable all of QoS I cant adjust anything.. Which I believe is what you guys intended or how its suppose to work..

I should also add that I did do a full factory reset after any new firmware.. Just so you know I have done that before any of my testing..

Thanks!

Zippy.

Hello zippy

I've had this issue with connection benchmark all the way through 104 108 and 114. Qos is working as testing on dslreports and ping plotter shows that. I think its connection benchmark mine also just shows the same result no matter what settings I change the underload graph comes back with the same results same squiggly lines in the same exact place lol. 

I also notice that after a firmware update or factory reset the qos page is the only page that DOES NOT RESET PROPERLY. It will show your previous setup as if you didn't factory reset. For example if I set my speed 74 down 18 up sliders on 70% always on. And the do a factory reset. I will go through all the set up features like new admin password wifi name and password and the checking Internet connection and speed message pop up. Which it says no connection detected due to being on sky and having to set up the option61 admin password. Before qos is set up we know by default it's set to 1gb down 1gb up cc never and qos on. When  I go to the page it will show all previous settings even after the reset HOWEVER the settings shown do not translate because the settings will show 74 down 18up cc always on. Then when I go to connection benchmark and run a test it will show my line speed as 74 out of 1gb rather than 74/74mb and 18 out of 1gb rather than 18/18......

So the simple fix I found for qos after a factory reset is to understand the settings being displayed are not actually working and are not what the router is out putting. The simple fix is to turn never to always on and then never again change the speeds to your actual broadband speeds again. Even though it will be showing those speeds you must enter them again as qos is still running 1gb down and up then turn qos of and on again. 

That is the best way I've found for qos to be working and showing the correct settings after a factory reset. Hope this helps in some way for more testing

Cheers guys!!!

20 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

@l2eactionz Thanks for the feedback! We're aware of the issue with QoS not fully resetting during a reset, we're working on this!

Ah okay perfect I think I did mention it some time ago in a previous post 😅 was just making sure zippy knew as well incase his test where inaccurate due to that in some way 💪👍

• Administrators
On 3/15/2021 at 12:04 AM, Zippy said:

I will check into that as well Fraser! Thanks for all your help! I guess my question is why would the XR500 start to block these updates if they are from a known and trusted site like MS.. Doesnt that seem odd to you?

Anyway I will look into all of this!

Thanks again!

Zippy.

Well in that case they would be being downloaded from other users on the internet and the router may be misinterpreting that as an attack. It is odd though happening all of a sudden, let us know how you get on!

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well in that case they would be being downloaded from other users on the internet and the router may be misinterpreting that as an attack. It is odd though happening all of a sudden, let us know how you get on!

Thanks Fraser! I have still been noticing these attacks.. Port 80 and 443.. Along with others as well. I did notice I had an update on my xbox that was blocked by the XR500.. Also my laptop had an update waiting to update as well and it wasnt updating..

What should I do at this point? Ive been trying to figure out why this is happening.. I have not Disabled DOS protect or port scan.. Do you feel that is safe to do that? Or is there something else I should maybe try first?

Thanks my friend!

Zippy.

• Administrators

I think it would be safe to do that as the option to not respond to pings would be enabled which would give you some protection in place of that. Even if trying it momentarily to see whether it allows those devices to update

31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think it would be safe to do that as the option to not respond to pings would be enabled which would give you some protection in place of that. Even if trying it momentarily to see whether it allows those devices to update

Excellent! I could try that like you have mentioned.. Smart thinking!

Currently my respond to ping is disabled.. But Dos and Port Scan is enabled.. Should I maybe enabled respond to ping but leave Dos and Port Scan Enabled? Does one need to have respond to ping enabled when using Dos Protect? What would we even use respond to ping for anyways? Like in what case would we ever do that..

Hopefully I didnt confuse you what im asking on my second question.. 

Thanks Fraser!

Zippy

• Administrators

Tick Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection and keep Respong to ping unticked would be my recommendation, you can try it that way around if you like but if it's literally like it sounds and just responding to ICMP then I doubt it would help with the issue. The only way I would use it is if I was running a local server or something like that that I want to access remotely, the server goes down and you want to check if your Internet has gone you could ping the public IP and get a response or lack there of if it was down. Not really something many would need in a gaming router I suspect!

Thanks for the detailed answer Fraser! I will do as you mentioned and report back with my results..

Have a good evening/night! 

You must be close to quitting time. ;) 

Zippy.