Xr1000 Big WIFI BUG

Just now, NahG said:

@Newfie Just checked and it’s actually on 2165 sorry about that and also it’s on channel 44 is that ok?

Yep that’s great.

are all devices dropping on the 5Ghz channel?

Are they dropping when in the same room as the router? 

what devices are connected to the 5Ghz?

Does the router fail to broadcast the 5Ghz signal ie does the channel disappear then reappears. You may need to run a WiFi analyser to see if it’s dropping.

Just now, Newfie said:

Yep that’s great.

are all devices dropping on the 5Ghz channel?

Are they dropping when in the same room as the router? 

what devices are connected to the 5Ghz?

Does the router fail to broadcast the 5Ghz signal ie does the channel disappear then reappears. You may need to run a WiFi analyser to see if it’s dropping.

Yes it is also dropping in same room. And yes on 5ghz I noticed that going to 2.4 seems stable but I have devices that are close to the router so I would like to use 5ghz. Also the wifi analyzer do I get it on phone ???

Android have a few I believe, Apple don’t but you can use the airport utility it’s to scan.

basically we need to find out if devices discounted because the routers 5Ghz band is dropping. 

also insure it’s not near other electrical equipment ie not stood on the modem or by a tv or fan unit. 

I’ve not seen any reports of the 5Ghz channel dropping but if it were me I would think ok let’s start over and go to the XR1000 support page, download the latest firmware, go to the routers firmware upgrade page and select manual/browse and over write the firmware. Remember to open the zip that contains the image.

I would do this via a wired connection and not over WiFi. 

allow it 10mins to fully install and boot up.

i would then reset the router using the rear pin hole in the rear, hold a paper clip in for 20 seconds then release.

give the router another good 10 minutes to fully boot up then setup as new, do not use a saved profile.

Split the channels and check it’s on 2165 and test 5Ghz again.

22 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Android have a few I believe, Apple don’t but you can use the airport utility it’s to scan.

basically we need to find out if devices discounted because the routers 5Ghz band is dropping. 

also insure it’s not near other electrical equipment ie not stood on the modem or by a tv or fan unit. 

Can i use a laptop ? 

15 minutes ago, Newfie said:

I’ve not seen any reports of the 5Ghz channel dropping but if it were me I would think ok let’s start over and go to the XR1000 support page, download the latest firmware, go to the routers firmware upgrade page and select manual/browse and over write the firmware. Remember to open the zip that contains the image.

I would do this via a wired connection and not over WiFi. 

allow it 10mins to fully install and boot up.

i would then reset the router using the rear pin hole in the rear, hold a paper clip in for 20 seconds then release.

give the router another good 10 minutes to fully boot up then setup as new, do not use a saved profile.

Split the channels and check it’s on 2165 and test 5Ghz again.

Did this very exact thing yesterday since I had problems but didn't fix I'm starting to think this is on netgears side of things.

24 minutes ago, NahG said:

Did this very exact thing yesterday since I had problems but didn't fix I'm starting to think this is on netgears side of things.

Ok, let’s say the channel is dropping I would think it’s a hardware issue if you have done the above. 

you need to contact Netgear support or the retailer you purchased it from and explain you have an intermittent fault on the 5 GHz channel where it is dropping the channel and is forcing clients off.

if you contact Netgear for support they will run through a reset with you as it’s pretty much the standard but you have to do it while you talk to them. Don’t be quick to hang up once it’s up and running but ask if they can hang on so you can just test it and hopefully it will show the fault again and they will offer a RMA.

Yes there are free WiFi analysers on the Microsoft site, I use WiFi explorer on my MacBook. You would simply sit there watching the 5Ghz signal to see if it drops. I used this when my XR500 developed a fault on the 2.4Ghz channel and I was monitoring it while I was talking to support. Mine though was it was dropping channel 11 only for some reason.

you could change the 5Ghz channel to say 36 but it’s not often that 5Ghz has interference due to its short range compared to 2.4Ghz. I’m thinking you may have been unlucky and have a fault.

2 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Ok, let’s say the channel is dropping I would think it’s a hardware issue if you have done the above. 

you need to contact Netgear support or the retailer you purchased it from and explain you have an intermittent fault on the 5 GHz channel where it is dropping the channel and is forcing clients off.

if you contact Netgear for support they will run through a reset with you as it’s pretty much the standard but you have to do it while you talk to them. Don’t be quick to hang up once it’s up and running but ask if they can hang on so you can just test it and hopefully it will show the fault again and they will offer a RMA.

Yes there are free WiFi analysers on the Microsoft site, I use WiFi explorer on my MacBook. You would simply sit there watching the 5Ghz signal to see if it drops. 

you could change the 5Ghz channel to say 36 but it’s not often that 5Ghz has interference due to its short range compared to 2.4Ghz. I’m thinking you may have been unlucky and have a fault.

I'm using acrylic Wi-Fi- home and to my surprise the 5ghz isn't dropping so I have no idea. I saw a post awhile ago that had the same issue as me could it be netgears wifi drivers?

9 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Yes there are free WiFi analysers on the Microsoft site, I use WiFi explorer on my MacBook. You would simply sit there watching the 5Ghz signal to see if it drops. I used this when my XR500 developed a fault on the 2.4Ghz channel and I was monitoring it while I was talking to support. Mine though was it was dropping channel 11 only for some reason.

As you can see in the picture i have 2 ssids that are 5ghz and I saw that the one above (Nagi) is using different channels furthermore when I was scanning the other 5ghz shaded in cyan square is perfectly fine while the one shaded black cuts out and comes back. Keep in mind im using a x6s ex8000 mesh if that has anything to do with it.

1603E003-3ECA-454F-BE2B-FBE458EFCF8F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Looks like there are more networks there, how many are in the area?

There is a good WiFi analyzer that is free on the PC that will give you a good representation of the channels and what is free/overlaps.

A ton showed up 

from the scan I saw that there is 2 ssids for both bands (Nagi)(5ghz) and Nagi-Gaming(2.4ghz)

I saw that the 2.4 ssid's are using same channel and is running smoothly while the 5ghz one is very very smooth and the other one running in (149 + 153 + 157 + 161) is utterly terrible.

Just now, NahG said:

from the scan I saw that there is 2 ssids for both bands (Nagi)(5ghz) and Nagi-Gaming(2.4ghz)

I saw that the 2.4 ssid's are using same channel and is running smoothly while the 5ghz one is very very smooth and the other one running in (149 + 153 + 157 + 161) is utterly terrible.

What device is using those DFS channels, it can’t be the XR1000 as that channel 44

Just now, Newfie said:

What device is using those DFS channels, it can’t be the XR1000 as that channel 44

do u mean mobile devices ? or consoles cuz I have no idea if you can elaborate that would be great.