MUST READ! Network vs Input Lag

Bigfntarget

I have been battling lag on CoD for many years and have been doing networking research and messing with my internet connection forever, recently switching to a fiber optic connection and purchasing an XR500 gaming router.

After getting my connection to rock solid, lag jitter and bufferbloat free (with the help of the netduma support staff and this amazing community), I was still finding my games to be hit and miss. I would get 20+ kills one or two games, then have a handful of really awful rounds... very sporadic and frustrating.

That is until I looked more into Input Lag and found that most of my lag now was actually input lag and not my network connection. I was using an older 60" lcd tv to play and played with the controllers wirelessly.

I followed the advice of some youtubers and bought myself a new gaming monitor (120hz and 1ms response time) and a better hdmi cable, ditching the old lcd tv I was using to play, as well as hooking my controller up to usb and setting the appropriate settings on the ps4 and monitor.

The difference is ASTOUNDING and I feel kind of dumb for not realizing just how much input lag I was battling with, assuming this whole time my internet connection was to blame. The fiber connection and XR500 brought my ping down from an average of 100-110ms down to 30ms, but using my old tv and wireless controller was producing probably just as much lag on my end that appears as network lag (players getting the drop on you, firing first and dieing, etc).

Not only is the quality of the graphics better and motion is more fluid, but the responsiveness in the game is incredible. With the average 30ms of ping I get to CoD servers and the immediate responsiveness of the input, I feel like all of my deaths are legitimate and can actually chaulk them up to facing better players, making mistakes, or just crap luck.

I highly recommend watching this video;

Hope this helps others out and they can enjoy the same experience I am now having playing this game...

GAME ON!

3 minutes ago, Bigfntarget said:

I have been battling lag on CoD for many years and have been doing networking research and messing with my internet connection forever, recently switching to a fiber optic connection and purchasing an XR500 gaming router.

After getting my connection to rock solid, lag jitter and bufferbloat free (with the help of the netduma support staff and this amazing community), I was still finding my games to be hit and miss. I would get 20+ kills one or two games, then have a handful of really awful rounds... very sporadic and frustrating.

That is until I looked more into Input Lag and found that most of my lag now was actually input lag and not my network connection. I was using an older 60" lcd tv to play and played with the controllers wirelessly.

I followed the advice of some youtubers and bought myself a new gaming monitor (120hz and 1ms response time) and a better hdmi cable, ditching the old lcd tv I was using to play, as well as hooking my controller up to usb and setting the appropriate settings on the ps4 and monitor.

The difference is ASTOUNDING and I feel kind of dumb for not realizing just how much input lag I was battling with, assuming this whole time my internet connection was to blame.

Not only is the quality of the graphics better and motion is more fluid, but the responsiveness in the game is incredible. With the average 30ms of ping I get to CoD servers and the immediate responsiveness of the input, I feel like all of my deaths are legitimate and can actually chaulk them up to facing better players, making mistakes, or just crap luck.

I highly recommend watching this video;

Hope this helps others out and they can enjoy the same experience I am now having playing this game...

GAME ON!

What HDMI cable do you use? I used to play on a TV, terrible idea until I got a gaming monitor.

I originally started playing cod on a 42" plasma tv (back in MW2) but switched to the gaming monitor they used in esports (benq rl2455hm?). Been using this since infinite warfare, I think it's the perfect size cause everything is in your vision. Might get a 27" for the PS5 though and go 2k or 4k depending what it supports at a high refresh rate.

I've always played wired. Connection is solid, I've done everything I can from my end.. the issues I experience are out of my control - can't do anything about other people's bad connection and the way the games code handles it

you bought a better monitor that decrease input lag, that's great; but sooner or later SBMM will catch you, and you'll find again the game so laggy with bad hitreg

i upgraded my gpu from a 980ti to rtx 2070 super, which is around 40% faster, i had 1 k/d, and now i'm stuck 1.2 k/d , i felt a big difference just by upgrading a gpu, as you may know , a stronger gpu means less input lag 

input lag is real, and it's a fact, but the big problem is that even with 0ms input lag,  sbmm will sooner or later catch you and put you will sweat lobbies full of tryhards, i'm even going further sbmm will deliberately destroy your hitreg, and put you few ms behind

Couldn't agree more fellas, SBMM and outdated/crappy netcode (lag compensation) are still very real and the downsides of the CoD series as a whole, not to mention the hackers and force crossplay but like everything in life there are things in your control and things that are not.

I have kept a steady 1.4 k/d in warzone since I started playing in season 2, with a gigabit connection and a R7000 router flashed with ddwrt. I noticed a difference in my gameplay when i started using the XR500, but it still wasn't perfect. Geofilter and the newer more sophisticated traffic priorization abilities of the netduma side of the router are a godsend, but the networking aspect is only part of the equation.

I didn't take into account input lag, and after doing some research I definitely had a lot of it.

The input lag from using an outdated hdmi cable and a large outdated tv, as well as using the ps4 controller wirelessly, I probably had upwards of 100-200ms of lag from the controller to the console to the tv.

Just wanted to share my findings with the community, and to possibly help others enjoy their gaming experiences more.

Obviously, it's not the be-all end-all solution for fixing everything CoD related, but it definitely helps.