NetDuma R2 keeps disconnecting

Ghibli

10 hours ago, tweaked out said:

at least twice a day and no modem as i am on fiber

OK so you're connected directly to an ONT?

What router did you have before the R2? If you connect this back to the ONT then connect the R2 to the old router, does the R2 still disconnect?

8 hours ago, tweaked out said:

i do not have that router any more 

Are you able to access the ONT's interface? If so, reserve an IP for the R2 and put this IP in the DMZ. Then reboot the R2 and see if the disconnections continue.

So i'm getting this aswel, it's an utter pain in the ass, i live-stream on facebook, so this is a super unpleasant experiance of the netduma r2.

Things i've noticed, my direct ping via speedtest is 9ms with virgin media, however if i have the R2 hooked up it increase said ping to 21ms, also the router is in modem mode.

now for the past month (i have done zero changes) all my devices will disconnect for about 2 minutes, looking at this forum i have done the suggested "increase the dhcp cycle time to 168hours"

i can confirm this hasn't worked.

i even created static ip's for my gaming pc and my streaming pc, and all other devices are in DHCP range.

Could this get more attention because this thread is becoming a year old and people are still experiencing the issue.

Since i've gotten the R2 it seems my internet experience has just degraded, i bought it to do the opposite and hope someone here can give me a list of other steps to try and i will provide feedback on it.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Zenny said:

So i'm getting this aswel, it's an utter pain in the ass, i live-stream on facebook, so this is a super unpleasant experiance of the netduma r2.

Things i've noticed, my direct ping via speedtest is 9ms with virgin media, however if i have the R2 hooked up it increase said ping to 21ms, also the router is in modem mode.

now for the past month (i have done zero changes) all my devices will disconnect for about 2 minutes, looking at this forum i have done the suggested "increase the dhcp cycle time to 168hours"

i can confirm this hasn't worked.

i even created static ip's for my gaming pc and my streaming pc, and all other devices are in DHCP range.

Could this get more attention because this thread is becoming a year old and people are still experiencing the issue.

Since i've gotten the R2 it seems my internet experience has just degraded, i bought it to do the opposite and hope someone here can give me a list of other steps to try and i will provide feedback on it.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing this problem.

We are working on this issue dilligently and have developed new internal tools to help us log more information when the issue occurs as well as troubleshoot the root cause of the issue further. Unfortunately it's just a very complex issue that can be difficult to replicate.

Are you able to access the dumaOS interface when you experience a disconnection?
Does the connection restore itself or do you need to manually reboot the router to get it back up?

56 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing this problem.

We are working on this issue dilligently and have developed new internal tools to help us log more information when the issue occurs as well as troubleshoot the root cause of the issue further. Unfortunately it's just a very complex issue that can be difficult to replicate.

Are you able to access the dumaOS interface when you experience a disconnection?
Does the connection restore itself or do you need to manually reboot the router to get it back up?

Thanks for getting back on such short notice.

So i have not tried to access the duma OS while it's down as the down period is only 2-3 minutes and this is for every single device connected to it.

The connection restores itself after 2-3 minutes.

My ISP is Virgin Media, i have the Home hub 3.0, I've had an engineer come down and check the lines etc, all good on their end, when i remove the R2 from the network this issue disapears, so its definitely narrowed down to the R2.

I have rebooted the router after any configuration change via DumaOS to make sure the change is in effect.

is their some sort of log i can go grab after a disconnection happens to send to you?

2 minutes ago, Zenny said:

Thanks for getting back on such short notice.

So i have not tried to access the duma OS while it's down as the down period is only 2-3 minutes and this is for every single device connected to it.

The connection restores itself after 2-3 minutes.

My ISP is Virgin Media, i have the Home hub 3.0, I've had an engineer come down and check the lines etc, all good on their end, when i remove the R2 from the network this issue disapears, so its definitely narrowed down to the R2.

I have rebooted the router after any configuration change via DumaOS to make sure the change is in effect.

is their some sort of log i can go grab after a disconnection happens to send to you?

OK great, so if you are able to access the interface when the connection drops, you should be able to head over to System Information and grab a log from here by clicking the three-line menu in Logs.

If however you're not able to access the interface, this may suggest that the router is rebooting during this time which is what has caused the disconnection, unfortunately you won't then be able to grab a useful log file as this is cleared when power is lost.

It may also be worth accessing the VM hub and reserving an IP for the R2 so we can rule out the idea that the connection is dropping while the R2 renews DHCP lease with the VM hub.

17 hours ago, Zenny said:

Hi forgot i actually had this issue a couple of hours ago, i think the log should be fine? i've included it.

log-1623082889367.txt 72.48 kB · 0 downloads

I've forwarded this to a dev to look into, I'm not entirely sure whether that's related or not.

Were you able to reserve an IP for the R2 in the VM settings?

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 8:12 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Sure thing, yes if it gets to that point I don't see why we won't be able to send a new one out to you.

I would like to try to get a replacement if that’s still ok

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can do if you wish, shouldn't be too much longer for the firmware though, we're trying to push it out pretty soon

I’d rather try to get a replacement because it’s at a point where even after resetting it, it’s not working anymore. 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, syrupD said:

I’d rather try to get a replacement because it’s at a point where even after resetting it, it’s not working anymore. 

Fair enough, please email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number and we can arrange that for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. It seems to be happening when my roommate is also using the wifi. It especially seems to happen when Apple devices are involved (laptops and apple tv). It's happening multiple times a day and is unbearable. I tried changing the DHCP leasing to 168. Nothing is helping.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, George v.5 said:

I'm having the same issue. It seems to be happening when my roommate is also using the wifi. It especially seems to happen when Apple devices are involved (laptops and apple tv). It's happening multiple times a day and is unbearable. I tried changing the DHCP leasing to 168. Nothing is helping.

Could you make a new topic for your issue please and we can help there. While you do that, see if you can grab the log file from the System Information page when the disconnect occurs as that may help narrow it down.

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 12:35 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Fair enough, please email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number and we can arrange that for you.

Hey Fraser I just wanted to let you know that I got the replacement maybe a few weeks ago so thank you very much for that. I also wanted to let you know that even after the new firmware update I’ve been having the same issue that I initially had where I lose internet connection and the only way to get it back is by power cycling the R2.

9 hours ago, syrupD said:

Hey Fraser I just wanted to let you know that I got the replacement maybe a few weeks ago so thank you very much for that. I also wanted to let you know that even after the new firmware update I’ve been having the same issue that I initially had where I lose internet connection and the only way to get it back is by power cycling the R2.

Do you have access to the DumaOS interface when it's in this state? Do all devices lose connection or is it just wireless devices that are losing connectivity?

9 hours ago, dragonsuicida said:

Wow, same issue since August 2020 and no fix. I trew my r2 away and bought a Asus rog rt-ac5300 and not one reset in one and a halve years.  You get what you pay.  Sorry for those with the disconnect issue...

Sorry to hear that, we fixed an issue which was causing disconnections for most people in the latest firmware.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this thread is where I should put this here, but I have had my R2 for a month and after about 3 weeks had two straight days of dropped connection (both wireless and wired). I upgraded to 3.0.394, did a hard reset, and haven't had an issue for a full week until today where the connection dropped and after giving it an half hour had to power it down to restore connection. I was able to get a log file. Set up is an ATT modem/router with the wireless disabled, hardwired to the R2, which is hardwired to my console and 5ghz wireless to my MacBook. What other information do you need for this to be helpful in trouble shooting? I've been happy with it and sharing here to help Netduma mostly. 

log-1645734259948.txt

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, edgarisdrunk said:

Hopefully this thread is where I should put this here, but I have had my R2 for a month and after about 3 weeks had two straight days of dropped connection (both wireless and wired). I upgraded to 3.0.394, did a hard reset, and haven't had an issue for a full week until today where the connection dropped and after giving it an half hour had to power it down to restore connection. I was able to get a log file. Set up is an ATT modem/router with the wireless disabled, hardwired to the R2, which is hardwired to my console and 5ghz wireless to my MacBook. What other information do you need for this to be helpful in trouble shooting? I've been happy with it and sharing here to help Netduma mostly. 

log-1645734259948.txt 72.75 kB · 0 downloads

We believe we have fixed this issue in the next firmware but for the moment set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We believe we have fixed this issue in the next firmware but for the moment set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

I will try this and revert if I need help on anything. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 2:36 PM, edgarisdrunk said:

log-1645734259948.txt 72.75 kB · 0 downloads

Did you ever get this resolved? My R2 will not stop disconnecting and i’ve tried all possible workarounds posted. 

4 hours ago, Thrilling said:

Did you ever get this resolved? My R2 will not stop disconnecting and i’ve tried all possible workarounds posted. 

It would be worth opening a new topic, describing your issue in as much detail as possible so we can troubleshoot this with you.

I'd also suggest ensuring you're updated to the latest firmware and have factory reset since installing it.