Smart Switch Not Showing Up On Device Manager

major masingil

I was trying to identify unnamed devices on the Device Manager. I was able to find everything I was looking for except a Netgear Smart Switch. This switch has the wired input from our TV as well as the cable from our wifi access point connected to it. Both of those devices appeared in in the R2's device manager.  I have the DHCP turned off for the switch.  I looked on the bottom of the switch and recorded the device's MAC address.  It does not show up in the Devices Table.  I was hoping to be able to see the switch's IP so I could access it to manage the switch's settings from my PC.  

Before use of the R2,  I was using an EdgeRouter X.  The Netgear Smart Switch appears as an independent device on the EdgeRouter. 

Guest Killhippie
5 minutes ago, major masingil said:

I was trying to identify unnamed devices on the Device Manager. I was able to find everything I was looking for except a Netgear Smart Switch. This switch has the wired input from our TV as well as the cable from our wifi access point connected to it. Both of those devices appeared in in the R2's device manager.  I have the DHCP turned off for the switch.  I looked on the bottom of the switch and recorded the device's MAC address.  It does not show up in the Devices Table.  I was hoping to be able to see the switch's IP so I could access it to manage the switch's settings from my PC.  

Before use of the R2,  I was using an EdgeRouter X.  The Netgear Smart Switch appears as an independent device on the EdgeRouter. 

Is this a non managed switch or the GS108Tv or similar? When using Edgerouter X could you see the attached devices?

There is a tool from Netgear called "Netgear Switch Discovery Tool" if you run it on your PC it will find the switch on your network and you will see it's IP. Also there is a button on it that takes you directly to the managment interface.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/netgear-switch-discovery-tool.aspx

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

A switch is generally transparent to the router which is why there is no device type for it. When you disabled DHCP to it did you see what the IP was for you to connect to it?

On my router I set a static IP for the switch so I knew where it is to log into the management interface, I set mine at set mine well out of the way of my other devices. in the region of the 192.168.1.2XX range

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Is this a non managed switch or the GS108Tv or similar? When using Edgerouter X could you see the attached devices?

It's a managed Switch. I could see the Switch and access it via IP address while I am on the EdgeRouter.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

A switch is generally transparent to the router which is why there is no device type for it. When you disabled DHCP to it did you see what the IP was for you to connect to it?

DHCP was disabled when I was using it on the EdgeRouter. I did not change the settings when I moved to the R2. I can't see what IP the R2 assigned now. If I figure it out I will assign a static IP so I can access it in the future.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

There is a tool from Netgear called "Netgear Switch Discovery Tool" if you run it on your PC it will find the switch on your network and you will see it's IP. Also there is a button on it that takes you directly to the managment interface.

Thank you sir. I will check this out and reply with my results

On 8/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Great, let us know, we might just need to make more optimizations to the default lists.

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@Netduma Fraser  I used the Netgear App Bert informed me about.  I entered the IP which was shown on the app, but I could not get to the interface.  The request timed out. I tried Chrome and MS Edge browsers.

10 hours ago, Bert said:

@Bert The App worked like a charm to ID the IP. Thank you Bert. However the app was not able to access the switch's interface. The request timed out similarly to how Chrome and Edge attempts to access the switch timed out

9 hours ago, Killhippie said:

On my router I set a static IP for the switch so I knew where it is to log into the management interface, I set mine at set mine well out of the way of my other devices. in the region of the 192.168.1.2XX range

Are you able to access your switch via the R2? I used the IP which was identified via the discovery tool Bert mentioned. I wasn't able to get to it though mine. I tried Chrome and MS Edge

Guest Killhippie
32 minutes ago, major masingil said:

Are you able to access your switch via the R2? I used the IP which was identified via the discovery tool Bert mentioned. I wasn't able to get to it though mine. I tried Chrome and MS Edge

No but I can using a different router I have updated to the hotfix however. So I would ask @Netduma Fraser in case it’s a bug or something possibly the R2 can’t do at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What was the IP address that the switch had and what IPs does it show the devices connected to it have?

The switch is 192.168.1.82 according to the Netgear app.  The devices which are attached to the switch all have .77 in the 3rd octet if they are wired to the switch, but I also have a Ubiquity wifi AP plugged into that switch. All my home's wifi goes through it and not the R2. I have both channels of the R2's wifi turned off. Anything going through the wifi does not always show on the device manager as being active. For example, the laptop I am typing this message on is using wifi.  It shows up as offline on the Device Manager. It has a normal 192.168.77. xxx IP address if I click on it in the Device Tree . The AP itself always appears as if it's offline. When I click on it in the menu tree, it appears like it does not have an IP address.

5 hours ago, major masingil said:

@Netduma Fraser  I just used the Ubiquity app to log into my wifi AP.  It has a .77 address.  Also when my phone shows as active, (through wifi) the Device Manager shows it having a wired connection.  I am assuming that's because the AP is wired to the switch.

Yes an access point shows any device connected to it as wired.

What you probably need to do is connect your laptop to the switch with a LAN cable.

Then you manually assign the laptop a IP in the 192.168.1.x range. 

Then you should be able to get into the switch by typing it's IP adress.

Then change the static IP on the switch to something in the 192.168.77.x range. After that you can probaly acces it through your network.

Or, if you factory reset the switch it will probably turn DHCP back on and it will get a IP in the 192.168.77.x range and you will be able to acces it.