traffic prioritization

I Have the xr500 and was just wondering what are the high traffic port ranges for halo 5.

I've been getting a lot of latency in the game. Players eating shots and just overall feeling like im a second behind in time. people aren't zipping around like night crawler so I don't have lag, but I noticed sometimes im looking at one spot and when I turn for just a second enemy team just appears and I don't understand how I didn't see them the first time. is this latency? when I go back and watch the game in theater they were there when I supposedly had looked but I swear I didn't see them when it was happening live.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is the average ping you're getting to the game when you notice this behavior? It is quite hard to see whether this is lag without seeing it really. DumaOS Classified Games covers the consoles and the games played on them so it should be prioritized correctly. I believe these are the ports used if you still want to make manual rules:

TCP: 3074, 3075, 3076, 49964
UDP: 88, 500, 3544, 4500

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Ali said:

How do I put those rules in the prioritization because it says destination port Ect 

Leave the source ports as the default 1-65535. For destination if the ports are close together you could do for example 3074 - 3076 for destination. If they are not then put the same port number in both destination boxes. 

Tried this and I seem to constantly feel like  I’m a second behind. I get 9-14 ping on the Virginia east coast server, 25 Illinois server, and 45 to Texas server. 

It’s very weird because I get very good connection to all these servers in one game especially the nearest server to me  and a second behind the next game.

Something weird happened a few weeks ago while I was gaming.
I used the hybrid vpn feature to change my location and all of a sudden I was catching even the champion players off guard as if I had a split second advantage against them. It felt like everyone else was moving in slow motion while I was running around getting 30 kills per game. 

I got up to champion rank, but then I woke up one morning, all the setting were the same, and I didn’t get this feeling in game anymore. I started to de rank. Shots were not registering and was getting melted by mediocre players.

I then read about throttling upload speed. The connection was excellent and my shots were registering  allowing me to compete with other champ players and getting my champ rank back. 
Woke up another morning And shots weren’t registering, people were catching me off guard even diamond players were beating me in 1 v 1 battles. There were instances where I’d only shoot 4 times but they kill my with 6 shots but it felt like they only shot me 4 times. My controller vibrates when I get shot at. 

I tried my best but I can’t get that connection back. Nobody is on my line taking bandwidth I’m the only one. Can anyone explain what is going on? 

I am currently throttling my upload speed and it’s no longer effective the way it was before. Very low ranked players eating shots and melting me. 

Edited by Ali

• Administrators

I think what your experience shows is that there are so many variables and that constantly trying to change settings etc to find the perfect experience just isn't viable. The best you can do is make sure your connection is as good as possible and then leave it. If you worry less about the settings then you'll probably notice you do get some very good games, you will get some bad ones but that is to be expected. I would suggest though to fine tune your QoS that you follow this guide while doing lots of downloads on a PC and changing your Anti-Bufferbloat percentages (while using Always) until you find what lowers the best/keeps it as stable as possible. http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

I was having a conversation with another champ player earlier and he was telling me that his connection and internet is trash. During the game lobby is the game finding the player with highest ping and trash connection and then adding artificial lag to everyone else as a way to make it fair?

how do I counter this?

Nevertheless, when my internet is excellent with 800 up/ down I get destroyed and don’t stand a chance. 

• Administrators

I highly doubt that but they probably have a cut off point for the type of connections that are allowed through for a game. Similar but not the same is CoD used to consider a 4 bar/good connection as up to 99ms. So it might be their cut off is quite high. Forcing a server further away would be the easiest way to increase your ping.

Hey @Ali The in game ports ive used is 30000-30040 UDP. Those would go in the destination. So you would just use one manual rule. Games console and DumaOS classified games would all be disabled. And any other manual rules you may have added.. And the only thing that would be enabled is this one manual rule you would add yourself. This may work for you if you want to try it. Cant say for certain it will work for you but it might be worth a try. You would add a manual rule and leave the source port range default to whats already there. And add these ports ive mention for destination. Starting port 30000-Ending port 30040. UDP.. These are the ports ive captured with wireshark. So it maybe worth a shot!

If you do try it let us know how it goes.

Good luck my friend.

Thanks!

Zippy.

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2020 at 5:30 PM, Zippy said:

Hey @Ali The in game ports ive used is 30000-30040 UDP. Those would go in the destination. So you would just use one manual rule. Games console and DumaOS classified games would all be disabled. And any other manual rules you may have added.. And the only thing that would be enabled is this one manual rule you would add yourself. This may work for you if you want to try it. Cant say for certain it will work for you but it might be worth a try. You would add a manual rule and leave the source port range default to whats already there. And add these ports ive mention for destination. Starting port 30000-Ending port 30040. UDP.. These are the ports ive captured with wireshark. So it maybe worth a shot!

If you do try it let us know how it goes.

Good luck my friend.

Thanks!

Zippy.

tried this, but still getting bad hit detection. i don't know what else to do at this point and really thinking about getting a new router that prioritizes gaming. I honestly don't understand how I can go from being a champ player to decrease in rank to diamond after using this product. I have excellent awareness in this game, shoot first be up two shots only for my enemy to turn around and shoot me three times and kill me while they tank the last few shots of mine. something is clearly wrong with the router. I've tried so many different suggestions, watched the videos and still nothing helps. At this point im open to any other suggestions from the community and willing to try anything.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Ali said:

tried this, but still getting bad hit detection. i don't know what else to do at this point and really thinking about getting a new router that prioritizes gaming. I honestly don't understand how I can go from being a champ player to decrease in rank to diamond after using this product. I have excellent awareness in this game, shoot first be up two shots only for my enemy to turn around and shoot me three times and kill me while they tank the last few shots of mine. something is clearly wrong with the router. I've tried so many different suggestions, watched the videos and still nothing helps. At this point im open to any other suggestions from the community and willing to try anything.

What is your experience like direct to the ISP modem/router over a period of days etc, do you experience the same thing or is it better? That will tell you whether it is a router issue or not.

ill be honest, the router I received from my isp is horrible for gaming and makes my experience 100 times worse so there is a slight improvement with the xr500, nevertheless, when I first bought the router gameplay was smooth and I was considered a top ranked player. shots were registering and now...well everyone thinks I suck because I can't even out strafe or out battle diamond players. when I do win a gun fight its because they missed three of there shots and I unleashed 8 pistol shots at them lol. 

I also had the technician come to my house and see what is going on with my connection and they said nothing is wrong with it, then I told them to check the wires going all the way to the box at the corner of my street and they said the wires were in good condition and do not need to be replaced. three days ago I was playing again and all of a sudden my connection was excellent and I started to climb the ranks again. took a few hours to get onyx rank and almost champ before I went to sleep. woke up the next morning and the hit detection was awful again and de-ranked back to diamond lol. im just trying to figure out what's going on. 

in addition, I had two different technician come to my house at two different times between last month and this month. the first time the technician saw the xr500 router and blamed it on that lmao. he didn't even do anything so I learned my lesson and had another one come out and check my internet out. they still couldn't find a problem. I have the best internet uptown 1gb speed.

• Administrators

In that case, the connection is still coming in through that ISP router which could still be affecting it when you're using it through the XR500. Are you able to put that ISP router in bridge or modem mode or DMZ and disable it's WiFi?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case, the connection is still coming in through that ISP router which could still be affecting it when you're using it through the XR500. Are you able to put that ISP router in bridge or modem mode or DMZ and disable it's WiFi?

I removed the isp router and now only use the xr500. The isp router causes a double nat and I don't watch tv anymore so didn't really need it for that. is it a problem to only use the xr500 by itself? 

UPDATE: So I've been doing alittle research and stumbled upon some tips people previously had on improving hit detection. i managed to stabilize the Tick Rate when playing halo 5 upto 120 and the game played flawless. All my shots were connecting on 10-15 ping servers. I managed to rank up back to my champ status where I belong. The only problem that's tough is managing to stabilize the tick rate of the server. Hopefully something is done about that on the next duma. Thank you Netduma Frazer for your help and everyone else for the tips.

21 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No that should be fine, I assume it's connected to an ONT or port in the wall? Are you talking about client or host tick rate? What did you do?

host and client both stable, I blocked internet access so only my phone and laptop received connection. I utilized a tip from previous forum posts, whereby, laptop received wifi 2.4 wifi and when I get into a game connect my phone to 5g. I then disconnect and a few seconds later it feels like everyone else is playing in slow motion and i'm just running around cleaning up kills. The aimer does not feel heavy and shots connect. I guess I was so used to playing matchmaking with shots not connecting and trying to survive overpowered bullets from my opponents, (now that its a level playing field) I'm a much better player.

The funny thing is I may have stumbled upon this on my own looking back when my connection was excellent and hit detection was crisp a few weeks ago. Now that I think of it, I remember blocking internet access to everything and then connecting 5g to my iPad and then turning it off for whatever reason. At the time I probably didn't understand what I did and may have stabilized it by accident without knowing. I thought I just sucked when I woke up the nexts morning and wasn't doing well anymore lol.

4 hours ago, Ali said:

UPDATE: So I've been doing alittle research and stumbled upon some tips people previously had on improving hit detection. i managed to stabilize the Tick Rate when playing halo 5 upto 120 and the game played flawless. All my shots were connecting on 10-15 ping servers. I managed to rank up back to my champ status where I belong. The only problem that's tough is managing to stabilize the tick rate of the server. Hopefully something is done about that on the next duma. Thank you Netduma Frazer for your help and everyone else for the tips.

Hey Ali, Im a little confused here. What exactly did you say you did to stabilize your Tick Rate? I dont think there is anything one can do to stabilize that.. At least not to my knowledge.. Are you saying your send and receive tick rate is now at 120?

@Netduma Fraser Is this possible to do this? Im confused on how he was able to do this..

Thanks guys!

Zippy.

• Administrators

Yeah I have no idea why this would make a difference whatsoever. The host tick rate is down to the game and what they can offer/provide so I don't see how this works. I mean if it works for you then that's great, I just don't know why.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah I have no idea why this would make a difference whatsoever. The host tick rate is down to the game and what they can offer/provide so I don't see how this works. I mean if it works for you then that's great, I just don't know why.

I agree.. Ive seen others post about something similar to this.. But I thought we had no control over Tick Rate.. Whats strange about this case is I think he said he was getting a tick rate of 120.. How is that possible when the game only renders at 60fps?  Unless im totally missing something here..The tick rate should be 60 client and host.. 

Very strange but yet interesting..

Thanks Fraser.

Zippy.

Hey @Ali would you be so kind to take a screenshot of your tick rate while playing a game of H5? I want to compare yours to mine.. 

Thanks!

Zippy.

2 hours ago, Zippy said:

I agree.. Ive seen others post about something similar to this.. But I thought we had no control over Tick Rate.. Whats strange about this case is I think he said he was getting a tick rate of 120.. How is that possible when the game only renders at 60fps?  Unless im totally missing something here..The tick rate should be 60 client and host.. 

Very strange but yet interesting..

Thanks Fraser.

Zippy.

Can be various reasons, the timing between packets can be off or there can be packet splitting. But it's just displayed wrong on the UI.

You can't achieve a higher tickrate then the server. 

5 hours ago, Bert said:

Can be various reasons, the timing between packets can be off or there can be packet splitting. But it's just displayed wrong on the UI.

You can't achieve a higher tickrate then the server. 

Exactly Bert. Thats what I thought. Im with you.. But are you saying that its possible the Geo Filter is displaying the incorrect tick rate. Or possibly displaying an inaccurate tick rate? Thats the part im confused on..

What struck me by what Ali has said about heavy aim is something ive come across as well in H5.. Just wondering what the cause of this is. Possibly a tick rate issue.. Not sure tbh.. 

Thanks!

Zippy..